IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25” CarPlay Units?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 07:20 PM
Kaianuanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10.25” CarPlay Units?

Hey guys, recently upgraded from an 07 250 to a 2015 350F w/o nav. Unfortunately the infotainment system reboots constantly when I connect my iPhone either by Bluetooth or usb. To work around this I’ve been using a cheap Bluetooth aux adapter with my phone disconnected from the car and it has worked flawlessly since. So I’m looking at the 10.25” screen/CarPlay units to get the functionality i need. I’m looking for the following:

-decent quality CarPlay audio for music without having to connnect my iPhone to the oem system

-hands free phone call functionality without having to install an unsightly microphone, don’t mind if it can be nicely hidden. Also don’t want some ugly gps antenna sitting on my dash either.don’t care if the unit doesn’t have navigation features as long as it works through my phone.

-I’d like it to open to CarPlay automatically upon startup and connect to the phone wirelessly as well if possible

do any of these units offer these features without any deal breaking quirks? Any help is much appreciated as this has been a major disappointment with the vehicle.

edit: if anyone has one of these units that they’ve been pleased with, I’d love to chat with you and ask a few more questions.
Old 02-16-22, 12:02 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaianuanu
Hey guys, recently upgraded from an 07 250 to a 2015 350F w/o nav. Unfortunately the infotainment system reboots constantly when I connect my iPhone either by Bluetooth or usb. To work around this I’ve been using a cheap Bluetooth aux adapter with my phone disconnected from the car and it has worked flawlessly since. So I’m looking at the 10.25” screen/CarPlay units to get the functionality i need. I’m looking for the following:

-decent quality CarPlay audio for music without having to connnect my iPhone to the oem system

-hands free phone call functionality without having to install an unsightly microphone, don’t mind if it can be nicely hidden. Also don’t want some ugly gps antenna sitting on my dash either.don’t care if the unit doesn’t have navigation features as long as it works through my phone.

-I’d like it to open to CarPlay automatically upon startup and connect to the phone wirelessly as well if possible

do any of these units offer these features without any deal breaking quirks? Any help is much appreciated as this has been a major disappointment with the vehicle.

edit: if anyone has one of these units that they’ve been pleased with, I’d love to chat with you and ask a few more questions.
A lot of your questions have been asked before through other threads. There are countless threads regarding which unit to go with and some go into more detail than others.

I along with many others went with the Lexion unit. A fantastic unit with which many of us are pleased with. I've had it for 7+ months now and haven't had any issues. Their customer service can be choppy sometimes but is slowly getting better. Other members have gone with the 4x4 unit which they enjoy. I don't have any experience with it so it's best if someone else were to chime in on that.

I know with my Lexion Unit, (and a majority of other units)
1. You don't connect to the OEM Bluetooth (You could if you wanted to but you lose things like Siri). It's through the unit and the quality is good.
2. As far as the microphone, you can place it pretty much anywhere (up to the length of the cord) so it's up to you how hidden you want it. I put mine right next to the screen and I don't even notice it. Nothing besides the mic is out. Everything else is tucked away behind the glovebox/screen/or head unit.
3. Carplay opens automatically for me. It's pretty dang fast too (10-15 seconds).

I've had other units in the past and am glad I made the switch to Lexion. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Old 02-16-22, 01:09 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I feel the same about my Lexion unit and larger touchscreen. Works great. No issues.
Old 02-16-22, 01:31 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Lexion unit does not work with non-nav cars the wiring harness are not compatible.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (02-17-22)
Old 02-16-22, 10:24 PM
Kaianuanu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dojoman
Lexion unit does not work with non-nav cars the wiring harness are not compatible.
Can anyone confirm this? Really sucks for me if true. Also does anyone have any experience with the “Qualcomm” units? Saw a good review of one of their later versions on YouTube.
Old 02-17-22, 12:23 PM
Jushin23
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there only one Lexion unit? I have a 2016 IS 300 non-nav and am interested in this unit as well.

I have scoured the forums and I cannot find an answer to a few questions - when using carplay, if I am on the radio input listening to the factory radio, will I not hear any of the carplay audio? Specifically google map directions? I called 4x4 shop today and they said that I will not hear any directions unless I am using the Aux input, and to download a radio app to the unit and listen to the radio that way...I really do not like that solution. The Beat Sonic unit is the same way. If I listen to podcasts its via Bluetooth so I guess that would work fine with this unit since i'd be on Aux and would still be able to hear nav directions but I need a unit that will allow me to listen to factory radio stations AND hear the nav directions. Is this at all possible with the options that are out there?

Also 4x4 said the external speaker is solely for phone call audio. How does the Lexion unit work? Is there an external speaker as well as a mic?

Lastly with the cameras - using the factory backup camera, do you lose the grid lines? are there any units that you can use the factory backup cam and keep the gridlines? I also have the Beat Sonic front facing camera and interface - can I plug this into the Lexion or any unit and still have it function the same by pressing the camera button?

Sorry if these were all asked already but I have seen SO many posts in several threads and have not seen these questions answered, so either I must have missed them or they were not specifically address yert.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-22, 02:09 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I added my answers below.

Originally Posted by Jushin23
Is there only one Lexion unit? I have a 2016 IS 300 non-nav and am interested in this unit as well.

I have scoured the forums and I cannot find an answer to a few questions - when using carplay, if I am on the radio input listening to the factory radio, will I not hear any of the carplay audio? Specifically google map directions? I called 4x4 shop today and they said that I will not hear any directions unless I am using the Aux input, and to download a radio app to the unit and listen to the radio that way...I really do not like that solution. The Beat Sonic unit is the same way. If I listen to podcasts its via Bluetooth so I guess that would work fine with this unit since i'd be on Aux and would still be able to hear nav directions but I need a unit that will allow me to listen to factory radio stations AND hear the nav directions. Is this at all possible with the options that are out there?
Unfortunately, not possible to listen to factory radio and hear Google map directions. This was what I wanted too but only Lexus factory Carplay can achieve it.

Also 4x4 said the external speaker is solely for phone call audio. How does the Lexion unit work? Is there an external speaker as well as a mic?
Lexion uses factory speakers for phone call audio it does not come with external speakers and you need to be in AUX in order to hear phone calls. If you're in radio and phone call comes in you won't hear unless switching input to AUX.

Lastly with the cameras - using the factory backup camera, do you lose the grid lines? are there any units that you can use the factory backup cam and keep the gridlines? I also have the Beat Sonic front facing camera and interface - can I plug this into the Lexion or any unit and still have it function the same by pressing the camera button?
It retains factory backup camera view including grid lines. As or front camera, I have the same switch from Beat Sonic it works when you press camera button but you need to wire reverse wire trigger from Lexion harness to beatsonic harness. I had to splice wire from Lexion and solder to Beat sonic switch. There's no other way around. It's not that difficult just need to find which pin was reverse signal.

Sorry if these were all asked already but I have seen SO many posts in several threads and have not seen these questions answered, so either I must have missed them or they were not specifically address yert.

Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by dojoman:
Jazzrock (02-17-22), Jushin23 (02-17-22)
Old 02-17-22, 02:51 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

I don't get many phone calls in my car and am using Lexus audio less and less. If you use Lexus audio often and need phone capability at the same time, this is a consideration.
Backup camera is unchanged as Dojoman said, and appears almost immediately, for me.
The following users liked this post:
Jushin23 (02-17-22)
Old 02-17-22, 05:53 PM
Jushin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
I added my answers below.
Thank you so much for the answers! Super helpful.

Seems to be some caveats with the Lexion and other all options…REALLY want the 10.25” screen but don’t want to make those sacrifices, especially the radio situation. Guess I can’t have my cake and eat it too…

You took the plunge despite the radio and CarPlay audio sacrifice - what’s your feelings? You use a radio app I assume - how long did that take to get adjusted? Can you make the app you use basically mimic the factory radio as far as saved local radio station presets, ease of radio navigation, etc? Am I making using the factory radio instead of an app a bigger deal than it really is?

Maybe a mirroring solution is my only option, still sucks to be stuck with the factory screen

Last edited by Jushin23; 02-17-22 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-17-22, 07:15 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Seems to be some caveats with the Lexion and other all options…REALLY want the 10.25” screen but don’t want to make those sacrifices, especially the radio situation. Guess I can’t have my cake and eat it too…

You took the plunge despite the radio and CarPlay audio sacrifice - what’s your feelings? You use a radio app I assume - how long did that take to get adjusted? Can you make the app you use basically mimic the factory radio as far as saved local radio station presets, ease of radio navigation, etc? Am I making using the factory radio instead of an app a bigger deal than it really is?

Maybe a mirroring solution is my only option, still sucks to be stuck with the factory screen
Lots of apps available. What kind of music do you listen to? Many radio stations have their own app that is CarPlay/Android Auto compatible.
Old 02-17-22, 07:58 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Money well spent for me I don’t regret it a bit. But you can’t install it unless they make non nav version. Also check with 4x4shop they have very good support.

Lack of terrestrial radio doesn’t bother me much, radio is dying medium anyway. I mostly listen to Apple Music when I’m using Lexion. You actually don’t lose factory radio you can still listen in background while the screen is in Lexion. So you can still see Google map while radio is playing except you won’t hear any audio from Lexion side. There are also lots of radio apps just like Jazzrock said.
The following 2 users liked this post by dojoman:
Jazzrock (02-17-22), Jushin23 (02-18-22)
Old 02-18-22, 04:51 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Thank you both again for the feedback! Very very much appreciate the responses. Apologies for the long reply;

I listen to everything except country - rock, hip hop, classic rock, pop, 80’s, all that. I have an old iPod with my entire music library that I keep in the car and listen to, as well as Amazon music so I do have those sources (iPod would have to be on a different input of course so back to having to switch from that to aux to hear the CarPlay and phone calls).

Ideally I’d like to be able to just leave it on aux the entire time, so if there is a radio app that could basically function like factory - set presets for my local stations and have the list of stations, scan for stations, etc - then that would take care of that. And I think that’s pretty small potatoes, that almost any radio app would have that functionality. Also to leave it on aux so I can hear calls and directions - I travel for work, sometimes by car, and I’ve only lived in my area for a couple years so I use google maps a lot when venturing out.

As far as having all my music on me all the time like I do now, that’s a luxury I may need to pay for Apple Music or use iTunes to access it all from outside the home if possible, even though iTunes is the worst software ever made. I do have Sonos, not sure if I could network my pc to share to the android auto unit so I could use that on the road. Then I’d have all my music and can ditch the dinosaur iPod.

That sucks Lexion has no non-nav unit. 4x4 is a good option but I hate that external speaker (even if stashing it behind the screen) and I think the rear camera loses the grid lines. Not sure about hooking up the beat sonic front camera interface to it.
Old 02-18-22, 05:40 AM
RCMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you both again for the feedback! Very very much appreciate the responses. Apologies for the long reply;

I listen to everything except country - rock, hip hop, classic rock, pop, 80’s, all that. I have an old iPod with my entire music library that I keep in the car and listen to, as well as Amazon music so I do have those sources (iPod would have to be on a different input of course so back to having to switch from that to aux to hear the CarPlay and phone calls).

Ideally I’d like to be able to just leave it on aux the entire time, so if there is a radio app that could basically function like factory - set presets for my local stations and have the list of stations, scan for stations, etc - then that would take care of that. And I think that’s pretty small potatoes, that almost any radio app would have that functionality. Also to leave it on aux so I can hear calls and directions - I travel for work, sometimes by car, and I’ve only lived in my area for a couple years so I use google maps a lot when venturing out.

As far as having all my music on me all the time like I do now, that’s a luxury I may need to pay for Apple Music or use iTunes to access it all from outside the home if possible, even though iTunes is the worst software ever made. I do have Sonos, not sure if I could network my pc to share to the android auto unit so I could use that on the road. Then I’d have all my music and can ditch the dinosaur iPod.

That sucks Lexion has no non-nav unit. 4x4 is a good option but I hate that external speaker (even if stashing it behind the screen) and I think the rear camera loses the grid lines. Not sure about hooking up the beat sonic front camera interface to it.
I have a 4x4 unit installed on my RC350. I can confirm that the rear camera retains all the grid lines. Also, mine did not come with an external speaker. All audio is through the factory speakers.

Initially, like you, I had concerns about listening to the radio and using google maps at the same time. I got over that by using Spotify for music. Now, I use CarPlay 100% of the time. Every time I start the car, it will launch Zlink (Carplay) automatically. I have zero regrets with this upgrade. The 10.25 screen is just soooo nice!

Here's a link to the thread I started in the RC forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...id-screen.html

Mike

Last edited by RCMike; 02-18-22 at 06:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RCMike:
Jazzrock (02-18-22), Jushin23 (02-18-22)
Old 02-18-22, 09:00 AM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCMike
I have a 4x4 unit installed on my RC350. I can confirm that the rear camera retains all the grid lines. Also, mine did not come with an external speaker. All audio is through the factory speakers.

Initially, like you, I had concerns about listening to the radio and using google maps at the same time. I got over that by using Spotify for music. Now, I use CarPlay 100% of the time. Every time I start the car, it will launch Zlink (Carplay) automatically. I have zero regrets with this upgrade. The 10.25 screen is just soooo nice!

Here's a link to the thread I started in the RC forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...id-screen.html

Mike
If the 4X4 works with a non nav Lexus, this would be a good option for the OP.
Old 02-18-22, 09:51 AM
Kaianuanu
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexion DOES support non-nav units?

DM’d their Instagram account and they told my my 2015 non-nav IS supported? Hoping they’re not bull*******ing me to make a sale. Should I talk to that that was rep on here as opposed to buying through their site?

Quick Reply: 10.25” CarPlay Units?