IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

CEL Code P0304?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 08:37 PM
gbutler24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CEL Code P0304?

Anybody had this one? I was driving home (19 IS 300 Turbo 4, 34K miles) and decided to go into sport mode for spirited driving and then the car goes into limp mode and displays a CEL, a message that says that engine power is limited and I cant go above 25 or 30. I pull into a lot and can feel a rough idle. I turn off for a few minutes and then turn back on. The light and message disappear, but I can still periodically feel the rough idle when driving. I get home and pull the code. It's a P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire (shows pending). Contact the lexus dealer and drive it up to them ( not far, less than 3 miles). They said I can drop it off, but my appointment isn't until monday. I hope it's not a sign of more issues to come. Depending on what they say, I'll determine if I'll just hang it up and return the car. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by gbutler24; 03-11-22 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-11-22, 06:47 PM
Farina300
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

It's interesting it's happening with such low mileage, but in any event if I had to throw a dart as to what they're going to tell you, I bet it's the ignition coil for that cylinder. Again, they typically last a crap ton longer than that, I've replaced factory ones on land cruisers at 150k.

I have a feeling it should fall under factory warranty as it's a 3 year/36k I think? I wouldn't lose sleep over it though my friend. Sometimes things just happen. Keep us in the loop.

- Shane
Old 03-12-22, 04:13 AM
gbutler24
Driver School Candidate

Okay. Now they put me in a loaner for the weekend. On Monday the current plan is to check the fuel injectors and see if Lexus will replace under warranty. The SA said that the engine misfired on multiple cylinders and then none at all. Then, during testing, they found that the car was fine when the RPMs picked up, but would "shake" when they were low. I'm currently weighing all my options now.
Old 03-12-22, 05:16 AM
Farina300
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Strange. Well, let them do their thing then and all everyone else asks is to keep the forum updated on the resolution just in case others have the same issue at some point. Again I feel with the newness of the vehicle le almost anything *should* fall under warranty so hopefully your out of pocket expense is minimal.

- Shane
The following users liked this post:
gbutler24 (03-12-22)
Old 03-14-22, 01:49 PM
gbutler24
Driver School Candidate

Okay. Just heard back from the service advisor. I might be on the hook for this. They are saying that it appears to be bad gas. The did a fuel test and it came back that it was not 93. I didn't think one bad tank would cause such a violent reaction. Full disclosure, this issue happened after a few days of driving on the first tank of gas that I put in this car from a Sunoco station. It started as a strong "shake" under my foot randomly, but I just shrugged it off. They said that there is no vac issue and spark plugs and injectors passed the test. The plan is to drop the tank and flush the fuel system then start with 93 gas and test throughout tomorrow starting in the morning. If the car "passes", I might be on the hook for the labor if they can't get Lexus to cover it. We shall see.....
Old 03-16-22, 12:13 PM
gbutler24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gbutler24
Okay. Just heard back from the service advisor. I might be on the hook for this. They are saying that it appears to be bad gas. The did a fuel test and it came back that it was not 93. I didn't think one bad tank would cause such a violent reaction. Full disclosure, this issue happened after a few days of driving on the first tank of gas that I put in this car from a Sunoco station. It started as a strong "shake" under my foot randomly, but I just shrugged it off. They said that there is no vac issue and spark plugs and injectors passed the test. The plan is to drop the tank and flush the fuel system then start with 93 gas and test throughout tomorrow starting in the morning. If the car "passes", I might be on the hook for the labor if they can't get Lexus to cover it. We shall see.....
Okay. The gas is not the issue. Fuel injectors 2 and 4 are wonky. They are awaiting guidance on how to proceed from Lexus. I can't return it because the car is taken apart. Luckily it is under warranty and I have a loaner. I'm waiting to also see what Lexus is willing to offer me for it. I'm looking to run at this point as soon as it is repaired.
Old 03-21-22, 03:20 PM
gbutler24
Driver School Candidate

Car is finally back. Everything was covered under warranty. Write up shows Cause: Poor Pressure\Clogged Port Injectors. All 4 injectors where replaced (Part# 23209-39275). From what I gather, there are several things that could be a likely cause for this code, for me, it was the injectors. I pushed it at different levels all the way home, but couldn't replicate the issue. We'll see where this goes.
Old 03-21-22, 05:47 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Glad to hear and thanks for updating the thread with the resolution.
Old 03-31-22, 09:44 AM
gbutler24
Driver School Candidate

Car is officially traded in. I got it back for one week. During that time it was slightly louder after the injector replacement and this past Sunday, the rear coolant tank was below the low line. Bought new pink coolant and filled the car again. Started it, and watched the car drink the coolant below the low line after about 20 min. No leaks, mild white smoke out of exhaust. I no longer trusted the car at that point (feared a head gasket issue) and I can't buy a new car of that body style. Without any options I filled it up, and went to Acura to trade it in (only luxury brand in my area with cars that didn't have markups) Drove slow and the coolant didn't dip too much. I had to cancel my touchscreen order from alibaba and return the weathertechs. I miss my IS, but was out of options and patience with it. I may get one again in the future, but if I do, it will not be the turbo (and likely not preowned). Owned one month, in the shop for about about a week and a half of that. No prior bad history under the previous lease owner recorded other than regular maintenance. The people at Lexus of Towson where awesome, but I didnt want to keep seeing them. It's somebody else's problem now. Till we meet again.......
Old 03-31-22, 11:38 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

This is why I will never purchase any car brand with a turbo. Not even Lexus/Toyota can build a reliable engine w/ a turbo. Thank you for the updates, sorry you went through that
Old 03-31-22, 02:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by gbutler24
Car is officially traded in. I got it back for one week. During that time it was slightly louder after the injector replacement and this past Sunday, the rear coolant tank was below the low line. Bought new pink coolant and filled the car again. Started it, and watched the car drink the coolant below the low line after about 20 min. No leaks, mild white smoke out of exhaust. I no longer trusted the car at that point (feared a head gasket issue) and I can't buy a new car of that body style. Without any options I filled it up, and went to Acura to trade it in (only luxury brand in my area with cars that didn't have markups) Drove slow and the coolant didn't dip too much. I had to cancel my touchscreen order from alibaba and return the weathertechs. I miss my IS, but was out of options and patience with it. I may get one again in the future, but if I do, it will not be the turbo (and likely not preowned). Owned one month, in the shop for about about a week and a half of that. No prior bad history under the previous lease owner recorded other than regular maintenance. The people at Lexus of Towson where awesome, but I didnt want to keep seeing them. It's somebody else's problem now. Till we meet again.......
Ugh, that means the dealer service folks messed up somewhere when replacing the injectors. Even so, I know the feeling. I had some mild coolant loss in my Mk7 GTI which was the main reason I got rid of it. Still no idea what was happening there though it could've been the water pump. Both my shop and a dealer couldn't figure it out so I said "forget it" and traded the car. Too bad, as I did like the car a lot.
The following users liked this post:
gbutler24 (04-03-22)