Buying new tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-22, 10:23 AM
Amirz
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Buying new tires

Hi there.

I have a 2014 IS350 AWD. I bought it 2 years ago with 70K miles on it; after 10K miles, the front inner tire problem showed up, blew up my front passenger, and I had to buy a set of new tires. At the time, I decided to go with Pilot 4S, and I got a good deal at the local Costco. Then at 90K miles, my rear tires were completely bold, and they had no tread left on them. I tried to use my Michelin's warranty, but since I have 18'' with 255 in the rear and 225 in front (OEM spec) and the tires are nonrotatable, it didn't work out, and I have to buy 2 new rear tires. Now, after another 10K miles, my rears are completely bold again. I am not an aggressive driver, I don't track my car, I drive it like 97 corolla (which is a shame), but it EATs rear tires like crazy. Is it my car problem or what? Do your cars eat tires like mine, or it's just how these Michelins are?

What tires do you suggest? I want something that is comfortable (doesn't make a lot of noise) and lasts longer than these. What do you suggest?

front tire after 20K miles

rear tire after 10K miles

Old 03-16-22, 11:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The Continental DWS06+ is a big hit with the Lexus guys who I hang out with lately. Relatively quiet, lots of grip, and a decent ride. If you want something even more relaxed, you may have to go outside the ultra-high-performance tire set.

Honestly, getting only 10k miles out of the Michelin PS4S is pretty lame. Have you gotten an alignment recently? What tire pressures do you run? Are you driving aggressively on a regular basis?
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
CASeoul (03-17-22), lew_b (03-17-22)
Old 03-16-22, 11:58 AM
Amirz
8th Gear

I aligned the car at 80K miles when I got a full set of tires. I don't see any unusual read wear or anything to assume that the car needs a new alignment, but I'd do it.

I drive normal, no hard acceleration or braking, and all 4 tries are at 36 psi.

I thought there is something wrong with my AWD system that maybe sends more torque to the rear than expected and causes this kind of tire wear.

I don't need an ultra high-performance tire, I'd be happy to get a normal tire with good tread life
Old 03-16-22, 01:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Amirz
I aligned the car at 80K miles when I got a full set of tires. I don't see any unusual read wear or anything to assume that the car needs a new alignment, but I'd do it.

I drive normal, no hard acceleration or braking, and all 4 tries are at 36 psi.

I thought there is something wrong with my AWD system that maybe sends more torque to the rear than expected and causes this kind of tire wear.

I don't need an ultra high-performance tire, I'd be happy to get a normal tire with good tread life
Hm, with my 2016 IS 300 AWD, I definitely saw wear in the front tires first. And, I would say I drove it spiritedly (nee, aggressively) on occasion. I also kept it at 36 PSI.

Having said that, I always ran all-seasons on that car. I had the stock Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires on it for about 20,000 miles before they wore down, and then I ran BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires until I traded it in. Those tires seemed to have a decent amount of tread left. I did get an alignment a couple times in the time I owned it (almost 40,000 miles).

The AWD system sends 70% of the power to the rear unless the brain of the car thinks it can't (due to lack of traction). In that case, it will send up to 50% of the power to the front wheels.

Not sure if any other owners who run Pilot Sport 4S can chime in with their experience. I am thinking about getting those for my IS when the stock tires are done.
Old 03-16-22, 03:14 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Anything modified? Weird, even on RSR springs, I think I can get at least 20k out of any tire including Michelin.

Just install the SPC rear control arms and adjust your camber to 0 and toe it in. Should help
Old 03-16-22, 06:56 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The Continental DWS06+ is a big hit with the Lexus guys who I hang out with lately. Relatively quiet, lots of grip, and a decent ride.
Recommend these as well. Will be significantly quieter and last much longer, with a smoother ride.
The following 3 users liked this post by tff:
Amirz (03-17-22), CASeoul (03-17-22), lew_b (03-17-22)
Old 03-16-22, 10:52 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 284 Likes on 142 Posts

I'd read through this thread it has really good information. It all has to do with bushings and alignment apparently and affects pretty much all the IS models.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tire-wear.html

Old 03-17-22, 10:27 AM
CASeoul
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tff
Recommend these as well. Will be significantly quieter and last much longer, with a smoother ride.
Had these on for a thousand ish miles now- can't speak on longevity yet but man are they quiet. Very confident in the wet grip as well.
Old 03-17-22, 12:10 PM
Amirz
8th Gear

The car is bone stock, no modifications at all.

I prefer a solution that does not require any modifications (and to be honest, I don't think it is an alignment issue and the upgraded control arm is an overkill)
Old 03-17-22, 12:39 PM
Amirz
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Renault
I'd read through this thread it has really good information. It all has to do with bushings and alignment apparently and affects pretty much all the IS models.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tire-wear.html
I read a couple of posts in the thread, and it seems they are mostly talking about inner tire wear (and uneven tire wear mostly on fronts and a small portion on rear), which at this point, I don't have uneven wear at all. The rear tires completely wear out evenly after 10K miles. It does not look like an alignment issue.
Old 03-17-22, 01:22 PM
Soldat79
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I tried a lot of tire, on 16 inch, 17 inch, 18 inch.

In UE we have standard load (passenger tyres ??) tyres load index < 92 and extra load > 92 (light truck ??). That make a big difference in comfort drive. High load index are more stiff.

My Yokohama advan db v552 225/45R17 are more comfort and quiet than my Pirelli A/S cinturato P7 205/55R16 (yes, yes I wrote 205/55R16 ). But I can't said nothing about lifesapn to this Yokohama adva db v552.
Old 05-15-22, 10:54 AM
Amirz
8th Gear

Ok, I decided to go with a set of continental extreme contact dws06 plus I bought from a local discount tire shop for 950 (with installation fee). I drove it for a couple of short trips, and I have to say it is more comfortable than Michelin's, less road noise, and the steering feels lighter, and the car has a floatier ride. To me it looks less sporty and more comfortable tires than michelin's, and I hope it lasts longer as well.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (05-15-22)
Old 05-17-22, 06:58 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Amirz
Ok, I decided to go with a set of continental extreme contact dws06 plus I bought from a local discount tire shop for 950 (with installation fee). I drove it for a couple of short trips, and I have to say it is more comfortable than Michelin's, less road noise, and the steering feels lighter, and the car has a floatier ride. To me it looks less sporty and more comfortable tires than michelin's, and I hope it lasts longer as well.
You really can't go wrong, either way.

I've gone through two sets of DWS' and am now using the P4S', not including the Bridgestones the car shipped with.

You want to see bald!? Here's bald! I usually experience very uneven wear when comparing the LR to the RR. Car's been aligned plenty. As long as there are no detectable wheel vibrations, I'm usually happy as a clam, even if the car pulls wildly to either direction.
Old 05-17-22, 04:30 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tff
But only if you dont care about direct steering feel. It sucks on those tires. I drove on DWS06 set (is350 rwd) and will never do it again. It is not sporty enough for this car... but it was quiet and had a very good grip in the wet. It felt like I was driving on overly soft isolating cushions instead of tires.
Again, if it is not a deficiency for you, it is a very good tire!
Amirz (05-18-22)
Old 05-18-22, 06:15 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had a few sets of Michelin Pilots on my 2G IS350 including AS3+, New Pilot 4s and here is my take vs the Continentals I have now. I have the Figs LCA bushings and Purple Poly swaybar bushings.

Michelin Pilot AS3+/4S= Sportier ride, Loud, bit harsh and fast turn in with steering. Wanders on the highway but the car feels nimble and alive. great looking sidewall
Continental DWS06 Plus+= More Luxury feel, quiet ride on the highway and tracks true, great grip but one of the worse tires in the rain but surprisingly better in the snow vs the Pilots. Ugly Sidewalls. I liked the Pilot AS3+ the best.
Oneops (12-07-23)

Quick Reply: Buying new tires