IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Steering Wheel still off centered after alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 11:36 AM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Wheel still off centered after alignment

Hey there guys, I am a bit stumped on this. I just got some new tires for my 2014 Lexus IS 250 and have had it aligned twice, but it seems that the steering wheel is still off-centered. The steering wheel is maybe tilted to the left 2-3 degrees, but it still is annoying. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I will say that I did not get the alignment done at the dealership, but I got it done at a decently reputable place. The car currently has 90k miles on it so I'm not too sure if maybe a bushing is worn or something. Also if you have any recommendations for an alignment shop in Socal I might get a 3rd alignment if it fixes the problem. Thanks!
Old 03-17-22, 12:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,395 Posts

It's normal for the steering wheel to be slightly canted to the left not sure exactly what that would equate to in degrees. Has the wheel been like this since you've owned the car? An alignment shop can correct this by changing both tie rod positions to compensate.
Old 03-17-22, 01:23 PM
Soldat79
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe the steering wheel wasn't center when the made the alignement.
The following 2 users liked this post by Soldat79:
sunamer (07-01-24), wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 03-18-22, 12:43 AM
snabbledab
Rookie

Hey there thanks for the response, yeah the wheel has basically been like this since I've had the car. I guess i will try another alignment shop when i get the chance.
Old 03-18-22, 12:43 AM
snabbledab
Rookie

Originally Posted by Soldat79
Maybe the steering wheel wasn't center when the made the alignement.
yeah that's what I'm thinking but I'm not too sure as i brought it there twice already.
Old 03-18-22, 01:29 AM
Soldat79
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not a drame, but you are not filled, I should be too.Just one things bad, when you turn at a corner your inner wheel turn more than your outer wheel, it's why it's not a good things to have the steering wheel not aligned whith wheels, but just a little it's not a dram, but not a good job. I m not sure to be clear

Maybe when they made the alignement the steering wheel was tense.
Old 03-18-22, 08:22 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Alignment expert here. You have to babysit the guy and specifically request AND monitor that the steering wheel is dead straight when the tierods are locked. This is just a case of lazy tech/kid treating you as a # and moving onto the next car.

Back in the day i used to request to sit in the driver's seat and hold the steering wheel straight to my liking. if you know the shop owner you have a better chance at letting you do this. but some shops may. if not, make a dead specific request. in fact i used to drive the car up on the rack and just to the entire alignment myself on various cars. good perk.

if you're savvy you can also correct this yourself at home by setting the wheel straight and turning both tie rods equal amounts opposite direction of the steering wheel tilt--but you have to be careful and precise. but since you paid for an alignment, make them do it right.
The following 3 users liked this post by E46CT:
PrimeDave (06-29-24), Soldat79 (03-19-22), sunamer (07-01-24)
Old 03-19-22, 12:06 AM
snabbledab
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
Alignment expert here. You have to babysit the guy and specifically request AND monitor that the steering wheel is dead straight when the tierods are locked. This is just a case of lazy tech/kid treating you as a # and moving onto the next car.

Back in the day i used to request to sit in the driver's seat and hold the steering wheel straight to my liking. if you know the shop owner you have a better chance at letting you do this. but some shops may. if not, make a dead specific request. in fact i used to drive the car up on the rack and just to the entire alignment myself on various cars. good perk.

if you're savvy you can also correct this yourself at home by setting the wheel straight and turning both tie rods equal amounts opposite direction of the steering wheel tilt--but you have to be careful and precise. but since you paid for an alignment, make them do it right.
Thanks man let me see what I can do and bring it up.
Old 03-19-22, 05:55 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT

Also I see your in California is there an alignment shop you recommend? Thanks
Old 06-29-24, 11:05 AM
ktg14
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue with a 2021 is350
Originally Posted by snabbledab
Hey there guys, I am a bit stumped on this. I just got some new tires for my 2014 Lexus IS 250 and have had it aligned twice, but it seems that the steering wheel is still off-centered. The steering wheel is maybe tilted to the left 2-3 degrees, but it still is annoying. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I will say that I did not get the alignment done at the dealership, but I got it done at a decently reputable place. The car currently has 90k miles on it so I'm not too sure if maybe a bushing is worn or something. Also if you have any recommendations for an alignment shop in Socal I might get a 3rd alignment if it fixes the problem. Thanks!
Old 06-30-24, 07:37 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ktg14
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue with a 2021 is350
Did you recently get an alignment? If so, have you tried talking to whoever did the alignment to see if they'll fix it?