IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2017 IS350 Persistent CEL P2197 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 09:22 PM
lttakas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 IS350 Persistent CEL P2197 Code

Has anyone had this code come up? i just replaced the drivers side O2 sensor but the check engine light comes back after a two short drives...this has been very perplexing . Everything was fine before the F sport intake install when a vacuum line slipped off and threw a CEL. Since then no matter what i do nothing is working even tho the car is running fine without any sluggish performance. I am wondering if veepeak obdcheck ble+ scan toll is accurate enough for the specific cel code... my car is a well kept 2017 Fsport IS350 with 53k miles and trying to figure out this problem is like trying to hit a ghost with a tennis racket. Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 04-03-22, 04:24 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

To confirm, code P2197 is for the Bank 2 Sensor 1 Air Fuel Ratio sensor.
Bank 2 Sensor 2 is the Oxygen sensor.

Did you replace the sensor that's in the Driver's side Exhaust manifold before the cat?
What part number was the sensor?
Old 04-04-22, 03:50 PM
lttakas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum!

To confirm, code P2197 is for the Bank 2 Sensor 1 Air Fuel Ratio sensor.
Bank 2 Sensor 2 is the Oxygen sensor.

Did you replace the sensor that's in the Driver's side Exhaust manifold before the cat?
What part number was the sensor?
Thank you for your reply. You're right its is the air fuel sensor that's the closest one to the motor. Do you know how often they go bad? im a bit worried about spending close to 300$ and still not resolving the problem.
Old 04-04-22, 04:43 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

There are so many factors that can contribute to AF and O2 sensors dying early, but typically you should be able to get 10-15 years out of a sensor.

What brand sensor did you put in? Do you know the part number for it?
Typically I use Denso sensors if I have to replace one as they supply Toyota for the OEM sensors.
Old 04-04-22, 06:13 PM
lttakas
Driver School Candidate

There are so many factors that can contribute to AF and O2 sensors dying early, but typically you should be able to get 10-15 years out of a sensor.

Typically I use Denso sensors if I have to replace one as they supply Toyota for the OEM sensors.
This would be my first time replacing sensors. Last one i bought that was for the wrong location (bank2 S2) and it was OEM part from Lexus.
Old 04-05-22, 07:03 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I had a problem like this for my 2010 Corolla. Autozone used their scan tool for me for free and it said it was an O2 sensor. Used an aftermarket sensor, didn't fix it. Tried again, didn't work. Finally took it to Toyota to get diagnosed and they saw that the o2 sensor (somewhere under neath the driver seat) + an air fuel ratio sensor was bad. If it keeps happening, instead of wasting more time and money, just go get it diagnosed and if you want to save money, get it done somewhere else. I think I got a deal and they ended up doing it for me.
Old 04-06-22, 08:54 AM
Farina300
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
I had a problem like this for my 2010 Corolla. Autozone used their scan tool for me for free and it said it was an O2 sensor. Used an aftermarket sensor, didn't fix it. Tried again, didn't work. Finally took it to Toyota to get diagnosed and they saw that the o2 sensor (somewhere under neath the driver seat) + an air fuel ratio sensor was bad. If it keeps happening, instead of wasting more time and money, just go get it diagnosed and if you want to save money, get it done somewhere else. I think I got a deal and they ended up doing it for me.
This is always why most people in the automotive tech industry are always told never replace parts based on the code specifically. I'm a tech at a small shop and had a Corolla come in for a continuous check engine light for the same code, and seen the history we had replaced the O2 sensor 3 times over the course of 2 years. Turns out the techs who had worked on it prior didn't do their due-diligence and I had found that there is a Toyota TSB for not only replacing both the air/fuel sensor and the O2 sensor, but also an ECM reprogram that updated the logic for exhaust readings. We haven't seen that car back in over 2 years now.

A lot of people fault technicians and shops for being expensive and granted I can certainly understand, but we have access to a ton of support that gives us information that most DIY'ers don't get.

To OP, sensors are fickle little things and like Sasnuke stated already there's tons of factors that cause them to go bad. Sometimes even a small occurrence can create a lean bias in the other sensors too and is never resolved until the upstream and downstream sensors are replaced as a pair.

- Shane
Old 05-08-23, 11:54 AM
whong6187
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi. My 2014 IS350 AWD just got code P2197 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Signal Stuck Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1). Wondering if you have the Denso part number that you actually used before to fix this issue. I see Denso 234-9134 on Amazon, not sure if this is the correct part. Thanks in advance.