IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Purchasing a 3IS with 100k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 05:40 PM
brunt21
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a 3IS with 100k miles

Hey everyone, new to this side of the forums, regular on the LS400 threads. I've noticed that there are a few IS's of varying engines/options around me for sale used with anywhere from 75k to 100k miles. What is you input on getting one with this kind of mileage? Obviously I know this isn't a lot for a typical Lexus - but not familiar with the newer ones. I'm aware of the inner tire wear issue as I plan to resolve that if I decide to get one. What engine choice would you say is the best to go for? Any options to look out for or to avoid (F sport or no F sport)? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-22, 06:24 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

My recommendation would be to get the 3.5l V6 engine, there are no turbos in that and you get more power plus there is also the AWD option with those. My mechanic told me the V4 turbo engine had an undisclosed engine recall but I never looked into it as I don't care for turbos and went with the 3.5l V6 instead. With the IS the only real issue is if they were driven too hard like any car and you are correct about the inner tire wear but that is not a major issue and is an easy fix. Just make sure your trusted mechanic inspects it for anything shady if you are not dealing with a respected Lexus dealer.

The packages are different in Canada, we get them bundled where as in the US they are split up to an extent so I don't think the F Sport 2 [which I would recommend for Canadians] means anything in the US as it does in Canada (everything except the rear shade and turning headlights that are included in the luxury package that is below F Sport 2, do I miss not having the shade or turning lights no but that's me).

Last edited by athanato; 05-09-22 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 06:47 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

IS350 / IS300 best choice but I personally don't like a car at that mileage because it's probably went through significant wear & tear but your view on this may be different than mine
Old 05-09-22, 07:50 PM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

get one with 2GR (3.5L V6) engine~
Old 05-10-22, 06:17 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I think that even 100k miles is okay as long as the car is still in good condition, it has been maintained regularly, and it gets a pre purchase inspection. For example, cold start up and see if there is evidence of smoke in the exhaust, drive and shift through the gears automatically or manually, and so on. A good tech would be able to provide a better assessment of the car during the ppi.

The best engine choice at that mileage is going to be the one in the IS350, which is the 2GR-FSE from 2014 - 2017, then the 2GR-FKS from 2018+. Both are basically the same 3.5L V6 engine, the latter has extra VVT tech to get better fuel economy, updated injector design, integrated exhaust manifold, and other stuff. I would not look at the 2.0T or the 2.5L V6, the 3.5L V6 is where it's at, smooth, powerful, sounds good, bulletproof.

As for options, I would definitely go for F-Sport because you get the following things:
  • Sport S+ driving mode
  • Adjustable dampers and steering wheel weighting
  • F-Sport steering wheel, sportier front seats, aluminum pedals, shifter
  • black headliner
  • sportier grille
  • 18" F-Sport wheels (one of the best OEM designs, IMO)
  • F-Sport LCD gauge cluster with sliding ring inspired from the LFA
Other great options (depending on model year):
  • Blind spot
  • Mark Levinson sound
  • Parking sensors
  • Triple beam LED headlights (2018+, I think)
  • Heated/Ventilated seats
  • Heated Steering wheel
I'm kind of iffy on the moonroof option. It's nice to let in the sun at any time of the year, but if the previous owner did not really maintain the seals, or regularly clean out the drain holes, or regularly opened it, then it could be an issue. I use something called gummipfleger on the rubber seals, and I check the drain channels to make sure that they're clean. I think that if the moonroof still works properly, and the seals are still intact and the drain channels aren't clogged with crap, then it's still okay to get a car with it.

Depending on where you live, you may also want to look for a car with AWD, which is what mine is (IS350 AWD F-Sport). It's a great, old school AWD system that's full-time and 30% front / 70% rear torque distribution, which changes up to 50/50 as needed. This comes with the 6 speed auto, which is much better than people make it out to be. It's smooth in auto mode and almost always in the right gear. The only downside is that if you drive slowly or normally and try to use manual shift mode (by moving the shifter to the left and then tapping up/down on it, or using the paddles), the manual shift speeds are slow. You have to be driving faster, with more throttle input, and then the shifts become acceptably quick. If you look up TheTopher on youtube, he did a review on an RC350 AWD, you can see the manual shift speeds to get an idea of how fast they are.

The following users liked this post:
GeorgeSaad (05-28-22)
Old 05-10-22, 08:08 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I have mine for sale if you are interested 2015 IS350 133,xxx miles, Full Bolt On, and dealer maintained. DM if you are interested.