IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Powder Coating OEM Rims (Color Help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 02:18 PM
Nabil3IS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Powder Coating OEM Rims (Color Help)

Hello, I have to get my rims powder coated because the paint on the inside of the barrel is chipping causing the bead not to sit correctly. With this in mind, I've been thinking about it and decided that I either want to keep the OEM color or go black, but I feel the OEM color looks better on my Nebula Grey paint. I was wondering if anyone has powder coated their rims the OEM rim color? I know people have said it's almost impossible to replicate the color but I want to see if anyone has at least found a color somewhat similar to it. If so could you please tell me what color it is and if you have pictures that would be great. Also if anyone has a Nebula Grey 3IS with black OEM rims I'd also love to see those as maybe it'll help me change my mind and get black. Thank you
Old 07-13-22, 05:05 PM
usbis3
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nabil3IS
Hello, I have to get my rims powder coated because the paint on the inside of the barrel is chipping causing the bead not to sit correctly. With this in mind, I've been thinking about it and decided that I either want to keep the OEM color or go black, but I feel the OEM color looks better on my Nebula Grey paint. I was wondering if anyone has powder coated their rims the OEM rim color? I know people have said it's almost impossible to replicate the color but I want to see if anyone has at least found a color somewhat similar to it. If so could you please tell me what color it is and if you have pictures that would be great. Also if anyone has a Nebula Grey 3IS with black OEM rims I'd also love to see those as maybe it'll help me change my mind and get black. Thank you
I went with “hyper black” when I got my wheels refinished. It’s very close to OEM but darker, I thought it was better than going straight to black. I felt that would’ve hid the spokes too much.

Old 07-14-22, 07:08 AM
Nabil3IS
Driver

Originally Posted by usbis3
I went with “hyper black” when I got my wheels refinished. It’s very close to OEM but darker, I thought it was better than going straight to black. I felt that would’ve hid the spokes too much.

Wow, that looks really good! Are they painted or powder coated? Also how much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking? For mine I have a couple bent rims and a little curb rash so I'm expecting a bit higher of a price since they would have to fix that.
Old 07-14-22, 08:49 AM
usbis3
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Nabil3IS
Wow, that looks really good! Are they painted or powder coated? Also how much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking? For mine I have a couple bent rims and a little curb rash so I'm expecting a bit higher of a price since they would have to fix that.
Powder coated, $150-$175 a wheel is pretty standard in the northeast. This was a while ago, so prices may have went up based on the current economic situation
Old 07-14-22, 09:10 AM
Nabil3IS
Driver

Perfect, I should be getting a quote tomorrow so I'm hoping it's about the same price. Thank you!
Old 07-14-22, 08:35 PM
usbis3
7th Gear

No problem! Be sure to shop around and look at reviews, last thing you’d want to do is pay a premium for bad work