3IS facelift front bumper upgrade 2015 to 2017

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-22, 06:48 PM
Dinkleburg
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Post 3IS facelift front bumper upgrade 2015 to 2017

Here is my guide to the 2017 front bumper facelift upgrade

Edwin's post does a great job of outlining what is needed. The point of this post is to make it more accessible for people to do the facelift on the IS while saving money. I only know a handful of people who have taken on this endeavor. I bought my 2015 IS350 with the intention of updating the front bumper and i finally had done that after 2 years of ownership. There are some additional things that were not mentioned that are needed. I did things a bit differently as I tried to source from a car salvage yard rather than buying new from the dealer. This can save you so much money. If you buy a bumper and assembly parts, you could get parts and all for less than 2k, but that’s being extremely optimistic.

I sourced my bumper assembly from car-parts.com. Ideally you would search for 2017-2020 and look for “bumper assembly front”. If you can find one near you, it'll save so much time sourcing parts and shipping costs. I think most yards wont ship since freight shipping starts around 300 and the customer must pay.
When you get to the yard. Look out for multiple things.

Parts to pull off
1. Front bumper with grill. Most likely this will already be off the car.

1.5 The DRLs are sometimes included with the bumper so be on the lookout
2. Headlight and it’s ballast (metal square box underneath headlight)
3. Impact bar (Metal crash bar)

4. side retainer l + r

5. Left and right radiator air duct, center cover. This is a picture of my 2015 ducts/cover for reference

5.5 Air hose on the left air duct

6. Air guides if you can get your hands on them (goes underneath the impact bar)

7. Mount Plate

8. Sight shield - they may already discarded this but not a bad idea to look for it

9. Fender liners if you can get them. (Not needed but it would be nice as the existing liner does not lineup with the new bumper.)

Luckily, I was able to get the front bumper assembly for 700 which included the bumper, grill, DRL, crash bar, and air ducts. Unfortunately, that car was in a front engine fire, so some parts needed replacing. I did not use the bumper and air ducts as they were slightly warped, rather I bought new. I definitely did buy many new parts because i did not have the insight on what i was exactly looking for when at the salvage yard.

Headlights

I sourced mine from LST auto parts in China. They were bought on eBay, unfortunately they no longer have a store on there. Got the pair for around 600 USD. I do have a slight problem with them. The problem is when they are on, they will slightly dim after a minute, not sure why or have tried to figure out why. It could be from the headlights or coming from the car itself, but luckily no dash lights due to this.

Computer assembly (Ballasts) were bought from the dealer.

Additional parts needed that previous guide did not mention
a. Air Guide, Right 53153-53040 (old ones will work, but not fit properly)
b. Air Guide, Left 53154-53040
c. Engine air intake hose 82775-24010

To get the engine air intake hose to fit, you will need to use your old one along with the new one and slide the old one on top. This will require cutting of the new air duct. You will need to cut along the along the ridge( red line). The newer one will connect to the new air duct. The older air duct will slide ontop of the new air hose. Essentially because we have parts from 2 different builds, we are splicing and adapting this air hose. (use base of new hose, and use top of old hose)

Bought parts from Rallye Lexus as pricing was competitive from there, also on the east coast which saves on shipping time. If your able to get your parts from the salvage yard, then the only thing you should need are clips. Go through Edwins post to see clips and retainers you may need.

Word of caution: There are many different kinds of IS models that have different functionality in regard to the front. Some may have self-leveling headlights, park assist, proximity sensors. When sourcing your bumper that it has similar features to yours. (Ex. Donor bumper has proximity sensors and yours doesn't)

Links that helped for parts
Radiator Support for 2017 Lexus IS350 | Lexus Of West Kendall Parts - interactive schematics to look at parts
Bell Lexus
Discountpartsmonster

Hope you guys enjoy
The following 3 users liked this post by Dinkleburg:
arentz07 (08-27-22), mallybandz (10-24-22), swaangin (08-28-22)
Old 08-30-22, 02:00 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Cool. Looks like you also bumped up the safety a bit. for 2017 the crash bar was redesigned by making the ends longer. i'm not 100% sure what other hardware comes with that. that black bracket may in and of itself or tie into something additional as toyota has done with other cars in that era. I know part of the sill got some changes as well. twice in fact. /nerdystuff
The following users liked this post:
Dinkleburg (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

​​​​​​What year is your car, what and did you originally have single projector HID/Xenons or dual projector LEDs?
​​​​​​
Any idea how much more the triple beams from LST are and how much are you into it without paint and install?

​​​The last time I looked it was about 8g for new OEM parts, if I recall.

​​​​​

​​​
Old 08-31-22, 07:54 PM
Dinkleburg
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 387
Thanks for sharing.

​​​​​​What year is your car, what and did you originally have single projector HID/Xenons or dual projector LEDs?
​​​​​​
Any idea how much more the triple beams from LST are and how much are you into it without paint and install?

​​​The last time I looked it was about 8g for new OEM parts, if I recall.
​​​​​
2015 is350 rwd with dual project LEDs.
Not sure on the price, I like the look of the headlights I have, but you should be able to ask them on their website.
Just for parts including headlights was $3600, but I could've saved 1k had it not been for the warped bumper and airducts. Money was also spent on duplicate parts that I thought was needed.
Old 07-05-23, 08:44 AM
GSRGRSN
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What part number were the headlight ballast and how difficult was it to get them to turn on (wiring part)
Old 07-06-23, 08:52 PM
Dinkleburg
5th Gear

Originally Posted by GSRGRSN
What part number were the headlight ballast and how difficult was it to get them to turn on (wiring part)
  1. Composite Headlamp-L- Lexus (81070-53820) Single Beam USA Spec.
  2. Composite Headlamp-R- Lexus (81140-53820) Single Beam USA Spec.
I did not wire them myself, had it done from a guy up in NYC.I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you have had previous experience with electrical work and are comfortable rewiring the harness yourself.
Old 11-09-23, 04:29 PM
GSRGRSN
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you direct me to the guy who did the wiring please? Literally all I have left to do on my build