IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2021+ IS 350 - AVS/DHP versus base?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 12:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,915 Posts
Default 2021+ IS 350 - AVS/DHP versus base?

Has anyone out there driven a car with the Adaptive Variable Suspension and/or the Dynamic Handling Package and also a "base" IS 350 F Sport with the standard suspension? I am curious if you think it's worth it or if the base suspension is fine.

After having driven an IS 500 recently, I noticed how well it rode, and wondered whether it was something specific to the IS 500 or simply the AVS. I generally find my "base" IS 350 F Sport rides well over just about everything, but the IS 500 I drove was somewhat smoother over bumps.
Old 10-20-22, 12:52 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Has anyone out there driven a car with the Adaptive Variable Suspension and/or the Dynamic Handling Package and also a "base" IS 350 F Sport with the standard suspension? I am curious if you think it's worth it or if the base suspension is fine.

After having driven an IS 500 recently, I noticed how well it rode, and wondered whether it was something specific to the IS 500 or simply the AVS. I generally find my "base" IS 350 F Sport rides well over just about everything, but the IS 500 I drove was somewhat smoother over bumps.
I've driven both and own a DHP car. My thoughts are as follows. The AVS is very noticeable. The car gets much stiffer in Sport / Sport+ mode and it gets way too soft in modes such as Eco. Where I notice the most difference is in the rear diff. The Torsen diff makes for such a good handling car. I power through turns and the car just turns without hesitation.
Having said that, I find no noticeable difference between Sport and Sport+ mode other than the nice gauges lol.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (10-20-22)
Old 10-20-22, 12:54 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
I've driven both and own a DHP car. My thoughts are as follows. The AVS is very noticeable. The car gets much stiffer in Sport / Sport+ mode and it gets way too soft in modes such as Eco. Where I notice the most difference is in the rear diff. The Torsen diff makes for such a good handling car. I power through turns and the car just turns without hesitation.
Having said that, I find no noticeable difference between Sport and Sport+ mode other than the nice gauges lol.
I could've sworn that, on prior year IS 350 models, the adaptive suspension only got firmer in Sport S+ mode. It's changing in multiple modes now?
Old 10-20-22, 12:56 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

I could've sworn that, on prior year IS 350 models, the adaptive suspension only got firmer in Sport S+ mode. It's changing in multiple modes now?
Perhaps it's a placebo, but I find the car very soft in eco. I was driving in eco for a little and found that the smallest bump in the road was very perceptible.
Old 10-20-22, 12:59 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Perhaps it's a placebo, but I find the car very soft in eco. I was driving in eco for a little and found that the smallest bump in the road was very perceptible.
Gotcha. The fact that you're saying it is a lot softer makes me think my IS 500 impressions wil likely mirror what I'd get in a DHP ID 350. 🙂
Old 10-20-22, 01:01 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Gotcha. The fact that you're saying it is a lot softer makes me think my IS 500 impressions wil likely mirror what I'd get in a DHP ID 350. 🙂
I sense a trade-in in your future
Old 10-20-22, 02:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

The thought has crossed my mind. There are a few Handling Package equipped cars showing up in my area. Kinda pricey as they seem to be fully-loaded. But I need to just test-drive one ultimately. My main thing is - are the BBS wheels, LSD, and AVS reason enough to upgrade? That is unclear to me at the moment.
Old 10-20-22, 02:16 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

The thought has crossed my mind. There are a few Handling Package equipped cars showing up in my area. Kinda pricey as they seem to be fully-loaded. But I need to just test-drive one ultimately. My main thing is - are the BBS wheels, LSD, and AVS reason enough to upgrade? That is unclear to me at the moment.
Don’t forget about the carbon fiber spoiler (assuming it’s a 22)
Old 10-20-22, 02:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Don’t forget about the carbon fiber spoiler (assuming it’s a 22)
All the ones I've seen are 2023 model year.

Old 10-20-22, 02:19 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

All the ones I've seen are 2023 model year.
I saw a fully loaded white on Red 23 in Atalanta for 56.6 I believe. In all my time searching it’s the only other car I’ve seen that is actually fully loaded as mine. I’ve seen some very close but they were lacking the rear sun shade, but that one had it too.
Old 10-20-22, 03:32 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Yeah the one in particular I was looking at was Iridium on black interior and is $57k. Seems to be maxed-out. There's another with the exact same options that is Caviar on black, but I am not sure I feel the black-on-black vibes.
Old 10-20-22, 05:33 PM
ISDEDE
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give you my take , which has a slight caveat ... I just came from a 2018 RC350 F-sport , which had adaptive suspension.

In the standard drive setting , I found the ride very floaty and comfortable, reminiscent of a 70s towncar , not reflective of the sporty look of the car . Sport plus mode had the best feel of handling and comfort , no more float . I ended up setting the custom selection on the dial to "sport " for the suspension setting , and would hit it every time I got in the car .

A few months ago I started getting interested in getting an IS350 RWD . I go down to my dealer ,as they showed six coming in, to find out they were all taken , save for one , which ended up being my second choice of the six , no adaptive suspension . With none on the lot to test drive , I stayed in waiting for a little over a month for the one I left the deposit on to come in .
With the suspension feel as one of my top priorities on the test drive , along with testing out the non ML stereo , I was pleasantly surprised with the ride and handling compared to the RC.

The IS's standard suspension met or exceeded my expectation , handling is definitely superior to the RC , and I know the RC is a little bit of a Frankenstein , part GS/ISC , but that was all I had to compare it to .

With the only other possible deal breaker being the standard stereo , I found the Pioneer to be just fine , its no ML , but it sounds pretty good . I think I ended up getting one of the last 2022s to roll off the line .
arentz07 (10-20-22)
Old 10-20-22, 07:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ISDEDE
I'll give you my take , which has a slight caveat ... I just came from a 2018 RC350 F-sport , which had adaptive suspension.

In the standard drive setting , I found the ride very floaty and comfortable, reminiscent of a 70s towncar , not reflective of the sporty look of the car . Sport plus mode had the best feel of handling and comfort , no more float . I ended up setting the custom selection on the dial to "sport " for the suspension setting , and would hit it every time I got in the car .

A few months ago I started getting interested in getting an IS350 RWD . I go down to my dealer ,as they showed six coming in, to find out they were all taken , save for one , which ended up being my second choice of the six , no adaptive suspension . With none on the lot to test drive , I stayed in waiting for a little over a month for the one I left the deposit on to come in .
With the suspension feel as one of my top priorities on the test drive , along with testing out the non ML stereo , I was pleasantly surprised with the ride and handling compared to the RC.

The IS's standard suspension met or exceeded my expectation , handling is definitely superior to the RC , and I know the RC is a little bit of a Frankenstein , part GS/ISC , but that was all I had to compare it to .

With the only other possible deal breaker being the standard stereo , I found the Pioneer to be just fine , its no ML , but it sounds pretty good . I think I ended up getting one of the last 2022s to roll off the line .
Thanks. I definitely thought the IS 500 with AVS felt softer than my non-AVS IS 350 so that makes sense! The standard suspension is not bad - certainly somewhat firmer than the softer setting in AVS, but also never harsh or crashy. It's a slight improvement over the too-firm standard suspension I had on my 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport.

I guess I will have to test drive the car. I like the idea of having an even softer ride for daily driving, and it sounds like I could dial in a little more firmness with the Custom drive mode.
ISDEDE (10-20-22)
Old 10-20-22, 07:47 PM
ISDEDE
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I definitely thought the IS 500 with AVS felt softer than my non-AVS IS 350 so that makes sense! The standard suspension is not bad - certainly somewhat firmer than the softer setting in AVS, but also never harsh or crashy. It's a slight improvement over the too-firm standard suspension I had on my 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport.

I guess I will have to test drive the car. I like the idea of having an even softer ride for daily driving, and it sounds like I could dial in a little more firmness with the Custom drive mode.
Very interesting perspective , sounds like cars with the AVS are softer in standard mode than the standard F sport suspension without it , much like my RC was .

Old 10-22-22, 02:56 PM
ericy0315
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2021 IS300 AWD f sport without the avs (Canadian spec) and now I drive a 2022 IS350 AWD with AVS. I can say that under normal mode, the AVS car is indeed softer than the one without the AVS. I think it makes sense as the AVS is adjustable so It can be firmer or softer. The regular suspension is fixed so the calibration would be in the middle ground between soft and firm. WIth the AVS, you can get more feel of the road when using S+ but it is still too soft. I do wish the differences between Normal and Sport + is bigger like the G70 suspension. I've taken my car to the track yesterday and I wish the body roll is just a bit less in S+, but the stock can still hold the car well and I think the OEM setup is good enough to enjoy some open lapping on the weekends. Just needs better brake pads and tires. (The oem Bridgestone all-season sucks, the brake fades pretty soon)