IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can one install AVS after the fact?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 07:42 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by iamcc88
You mean Sport+ has less body roll than Sport or you mean Sport+ has less body roll than normal? If that makes any sense… lol

I’m assuming AVS Sport+ has the least body roll out of everything?
Non AVS suspension is set up a little stiffer than Normal/Sport modes of the AVS version, while Sport+ (with AVS) is def stiffer than a non-AVS version.

Also, like it was mentioned, AVS is adaptive and adjusts constantly.
Old 12-21-23, 11:03 PM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin227
Thought I'd make a fool of myself potentially on the internet before making a phone call. Bought a 2022 f sport is350 rwd and absolutely love it. Was wondering if it's possible to install the avs after the fact or am I going to have to live with my choice for the time being? I love everything about the car, I just wish it felt 'sharper' in the corners. Thank you guys in advance.
I would like to install AVS on my 2021 IS 350 as well, I checked parts on AVS and non AVS cars, so far what I have found is that shock absorber is mainly different between AVS and non AVS, I believe all the necessary electrical wirings should be in place, and will need to change drive mode switch to have S+.

What makes me to believe that it should not be a big deal installing AVS is that, when I bought my 2021 IS 350 it did not come with parking sensors, then I made a little bit of research and found out that all the necessary wiring were in place, I bought parking sensors, clearance warning computer, buzzers and then Lexus dealership helped me to install it, everything went like a charm, even front and rear bumpers have marks where to make a drill for parking sensors, after installing clearance warning computer, dealership re-installed soft and all the parking sensor displays appeared on main screen and dashboard.
Old 12-23-23, 09:31 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by we1rdoo
I would like to install AVS on my 2021 IS 350 as well, I checked parts on AVS and non AVS cars, so far what I have found is that shock absorber is mainly different between AVS and non AVS, I believe all the necessary electrical wirings should be in place, and will need to change drive mode switch to have S+.

What makes me to believe that it should not be a big deal installing AVS is that, when I bought my 2021 IS 350 it did not come with parking sensors, then I made a little bit of research and found out that all the necessary wiring were in place, I bought parking sensors, clearance warning computer, buzzers and then Lexus dealership helped me to install it, everything went like a charm, even front and rear bumpers have marks where to make a drill for parking sensors, after installing clearance warning computer, dealership re-installed soft and all the parking sensor displays appeared on main screen and dashboard.
The wiring could be there but you would need the module for it. Not sure how much that is or if its able to be purchased from Lexus. I have actually looked into doing this back when I had a 2023 IS350, however I did not find the hassle and cost of doing worth it. I eventually just sold the car and bought an IS500, got the AVS and a V8 lol. Ideally I wouldve opted for a 2021 IS350 DHP w/ carbon accents but that is pretty hard to come by where Im from.
Old 12-24-23, 08:40 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

There are aftermarket coilover suspension kits with active adjustable dampers and you can customize how they adapt, not to mention also adjust the springs as well. Unlike the factory AVS which only has two settings and unadjustabke sorings.
Old 12-24-23, 11:33 PM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by subtl
The wiring could be there but you would need the module for it. Not sure how much that is or if its able to be purchased from Lexus. I have actually looked into doing this back when I had a 2023 IS350, however I did not find the hassle and cost of doing worth it. I eventually just sold the car and bought an IS500, got the AVS and a V8 lol. Ideally I wouldve opted for a 2021 IS350 DHP w/ carbon accents but that is pretty hard to come by where Im from.
which module? is there a specific module for AVS? when I was looking the diagrams I could not found it, if you have name or picture how it looks like could you please share it, as far as I know DPH package has carbon fiber spoiler or is there something else as well? personally I would not bother myself about carbon if I would have that V8 under the hood
Old 12-24-23, 11:36 PM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BBQapple
There are aftermarket coilover suspension kits with active adjustable dampers and you can customize how they adapt, not to mention also adjust the springs as well. Unlike the factory AVS which only has two settings and unadjustabke sorings.
I have never tried aftermarket suspension kit to be honest, but for me adjusting from the interior with switch is much more comfortable than going out every time, opening the hood and adjusting it manually, that's why I would like to try installing AVS.
Old 12-27-23, 09:15 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

which module? is there a specific module for AVS? when I was looking the diagrams I could not found it, if you have name or picture how it looks like could you please share it, as far as I know DPH package has carbon fiber spoiler or is there something else as well? personally I would not bother myself about carbon if I would have that V8 under the hood
My bad i didnt see the reply and as well i stayed off the forum during the holiday. I'll try to find it but what I was told by my parts guy at Longo, I would need the computer/module that tells the AVS to stiffen or soften. Personally the carbon was an added feature that I liked but I found the car to handle stiffer than a non-dhp package. Imma attach a link below this is similar to what my parts guy was talking about. Its not expensive used but still i just didnt want to deal with the hassle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35473774976...DrE_tDRxPpOHFM

It looks something like this.

I found the one for our generation IS but its on Lexus Parts Now lol. Just use the part number and ask your local dealer.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...)&location=pd:,

Last edited by subtl; 12-27-23 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-27-23, 10:19 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

Oh yea i also forgot, the reason why I didnt end up converting my non AVS to a AVS model is because the difference in differentials. The non AVS is an open differential while the AVS has a torsen limited slip differential. Its a costly conversion once you include in the labor. Personally, coming from a IS500 and a 2020 IS350 as well as a 2023 IS350 non AVS. Just enjoy the car for what it is because honestly the extra work wont increase the value and wont get you back anything if you ever sell the car. If you intend to keep the car for more than a few years, go for it. If not, just drive it how it is and trade it in for one with handling package. Learn from my mistake lol.
Old 12-28-23, 03:02 AM
we1rdoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by subtl
Oh yea i also forgot, the reason why I didnt end up converting my non AVS to a AVS model is because the difference in differentials. The non AVS is an open differential while the AVS has a torsen limited slip differential. Its a costly conversion once you include in the labor. Personally, coming from a IS500 and a 2020 IS350 as well as a 2023 IS350 non AVS. Just enjoy the car for what it is because honestly the extra work wont increase the value and wont get you back anything if you ever sell the car. If you intend to keep the car for more than a few years, go for it. If not, just drive it how it is and trade it in for one with handling package. Learn from my mistake lol.
I just checked and my AWD and DHP AWD both of them have the same differential, maybe it differs for RWD? part number is 41110-30B51
Old 12-28-23, 05:30 AM
subtl
Pit Crew

I just checked and my AWD and DHP AWD both of them have the same differential, maybe it differs for RWD? part number is 41110-30B51
Then thats one less thing youd need to buy. but at the end of the day, its up to you. I wouldve done it myself if i knew they had no IS500 being brought to the market or if the AVS itself was getting discontinued and just limited to the DHP model from 2021.