IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3rd gen IS steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-22, 07:22 PM
db05
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3rd gen IS steering

Does anyone else feel that the steering on the IS is too heavy at times. Like when driving at low speeds it feels like the power steering cuts out at times, at other times its smooth, i know its a sports sedan so its supposed to be a bit heavier, or maybe its just me.
Old 12-03-22, 11:58 PM
richieca
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It doesnt have power steering its all electronic steering.
Old 12-04-22, 08:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by richieca
It doesnt have power steering its all electronic steering.
It is power steering. Electrically-assisted power steering, that is.

Hydraulic power steering used to be the most common mode of power steering, but now, electric is more common. There is still "power" that is assisting you. In fact, sometimes these systems are called EPAS, for "electrically power-assisted steering".

As for the heavy steering feel, this is partly by design. But, if the steering is so heavy that it is uncomfortable, it is possible that there's something going on. Could be something to do with the tires, for one. I've noticed tires with low tread often produce a heavier steering sensation. Or, it could be possible the power steering itself is not working. Usually you would get a warning on the dash for that, though.

The IS's steering is what I would call "medium". It's heavier than many cars, but also not as heavy as, say, some BMW models or any Porsche I've driven. Drive a 911 and then the Lexus, and the Lexus's steering feels like a Maybach in comparison.

If your car is stationary, does it require a lot of effort to move the wheel? What about while you are cruising? Maybe describing the differences in steering in some different scenarios is helpful here. Also, what was your last car?
Old 12-04-22, 08:48 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

arentz is spot on. Its partly by design, also as a former BMW owner/enthusiast. The IS steering is nowhere near as "heavy" (if that's the right word) as bimmers. If you haven't had a vehicle with that type of steering feel, then it could take some time for you to adjust to it...
Old 12-07-22, 06:49 AM
Oneops
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine feels significantly looser after doing the Lca bushings.
Old 12-07-22, 07:16 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneops
Mine feels significantly looser after doing the Lca bushings.
That would be the opposite of what I'd expect to happen after doing the bushings.

I don't know what's up or down anymore.

All I know is, driving this back-to-back with the 330i, the Lexus's steering feels simultaneously a bit heavier and a bit lighter all the same. Because the Lexus has a linear/fixed steering rack, it takes a little more effort to maneuver in parking lots. However, once on the move, it feels intuitive to place on the road. The BMW, conversely, has variable steering, which feels a bit easier at low speeds, but weights up at higher speeds. Even so, it never feels as natural and precise as the Lexus's steering.

Both cars have decently-heavy steering, but the Lexus has a first impression of having weighty steering. Neither has a lot of feel, but the Lexus does feel just that hair more natural and progressive.