IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-22, 01:59 PM
FH212
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLex350
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons on currently, definitely a great all-season tire but disappointed in the treadwear. I have had the front tires on for less than 20k miles and they are already down to the wear indicators (rears were put on a couple of months later could be part of the issue). Also, do drive them aggressively on back roads but nothing too serious.

Going forward probably will only use these as winter-type tires in the cold months and keep the summer tire version on the majority of the year especially if they wear this quickly.
I hope I get more than 20k out of them. I only got 13,500 out of the OEM tires. They are close to the wear bars. And the inside rears are getting bald. I should have down the rear camber arms when I did the RCF bushings in the front.
Old 12-30-22, 02:03 PM
hoserama
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
How do you like them? I'm torn between them or the regular summer Pilot Sport 4S. I have a small trip coming up to Atlanta during the winter and I'm worried about using a summer tire in the cold. The car is driven 99% of the year in South Florida so the cold is generally never an issue. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
I have a the Pilot Sport 4S on a RWD Kia Stinger GT. Living in Houston, we occasionally experience below freezing temperatures but it it only a few times a year and generally doesnt last more than a day.

I've read that a tire like the Pilot Sport 4S if of such a soft compound like other summer tires, that it can actually chunk in weather colder than what it was designed for. While i never experienced that, i can say that in temperatures below 40f the tires did lose quite a bit of grip. Take it easy in your drive and you should be fine. If it snows, dont even try driving it. I certainly wouldnt avoid getting them for a single trip to Atlanta - they provide far too much joy and exciting in the grip they provide to pass them up.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (12-30-22)
Old 12-30-22, 03:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by hoserama
I have a the Pilot Sport 4S on a RWD Kia Stinger GT. Living in Houston, we occasionally experience below freezing temperatures but it it only a few times a year and generally doesnt last more than a day.

I've read that a tire like the Pilot Sport 4S if of such a soft compound like other summer tires, that it can actually chunk in weather colder than what it was designed for. While i never experienced that, i can say that in temperatures below 40f the tires did lose quite a bit of grip. Take it easy in your drive and you should be fine. If it snows, dont even try driving it. I certainly wouldnt avoid getting them for a single trip to Atlanta - they provide far too much joy and exciting in the grip they provide to pass them up.
Yes, that's how I see it as well - especially considering I live here in Atlanta. But I would say to take it easy in anything below 40 degrees. Above 40 they're happy.
Old 01-01-23, 02:10 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, I'll say the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my car are a big upgrade over the OE Potenza tires, but I never found the OE set to be objectionable. They were so-so in terms of wet performance, and the Michelins are better, I'll give you that. I guess the Goodyears would also be better, hard to say without driving on them. I definitely enjoyed those tires on the GTI. But in GA, I think I would just run summers year-round and just not drive it in sub-freezing temps.
I think 20F is lowest I tried my luck (couple of times) with my indy500. Grip is less, but still there and on par with what mediocre all seasons felt like on my corolla. The conditions I tested it in was just cold but without ice/snow. So, you might be fine on just summer tires year-round provided no ice/snow.
arentz07 (01-01-23)
Old 01-02-23, 06:25 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but if we keep the same exact sizes that came on the car, aren't there very few brands that we have to choose from?
Old 01-02-23, 07:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but if we keep the same exact sizes that came on the car, aren't there very few brands that we have to choose from?
Try Tire Rack: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSea...rDiameter=19#0

You have options, just not as many as some other vehicles.
Old 01-02-23, 08:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

I posted about the Pilot Sport 4S for anyone else considering tires: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post11420610

I really think Lexus should've put these on the IS 350 from the factory. They are great.
FH212 (01-02-23)
Old 01-03-23, 07:47 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport (All Season if you're in an area with precipitation) are the best tires money can buy
The following 2 users liked this post by swaangin:
arentz07 (01-03-23), FH212 (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 11:10 AM
Nabil3IS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Michelin Pilot Sport (All Season if you're in an area with precipitation) are the best tires money can buy
After having a pair on my 3IS for over a year, I can vouch that they are the best tires out there. They have excellent grip in nice warm/dry weather and in rainy/slippery weather, they never lose traction. Even on the highway doing 80+ in the pouring rain they are planted and feel great!
FH212 (01-03-23)
Old 01-07-23, 02:41 PM
FH212
Pit Crew

Ok so got the Michelin pilot sport 4 all seasons installed yesterday and what a difference! I also got the negative camber in the rear fixed with Godspeed adj camber arms installed earlier this week, but holy crap these Michelin‘s drive and ride so much better, way way better, handling is fine also. Anybody reading this if you’re on the fence about which tires to buy like I was just spend a few hundred extra dollars and get the Michelin‘s. It’s worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by FH212:
arentz07 (01-07-23), sunamer (01-07-23)
Old 01-07-23, 07:45 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by hoserama

This is why I decided to get summer and winter tires. In the midwest temps are high and low enough often enough to justify both winter tires and summer tires.

That way softer compound of winter tires gets used only when it performs the best, and likewise - about summer formulated tires.

Currently my forth winter on Soto3 and they are doing very well in snow, and very good in dry cold/ice. Total mileage on those is 7400 and counting. It is a square setup for the winter, so I can rotate the tires.

Last edited by sunamer; 01-07-23 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-07-23, 07:57 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by FH212
Ok so got the Michelin pilot sport 4 all seasons installed yesterday and what a difference! I also got the negative camber in the rear fixed with Godspeed adj camber arms installed earlier this week, but holy crap these Michelin‘s drive and ride so much better, way way better, handling is fine also. Anybody reading this if you’re on the fence about which tires to buy like I was just spend a few hundred extra dollars and get the Michelin‘s. It’s worth it.

Beautiful red/dark metal combination too.
FH212 (01-08-23)
Old 04-19-23, 06:27 AM
DS03
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello. Which setup did you buy, and have you noticed any different handling characteristics since you put these on a few months back? I'm seeing some inner wear on my rears and think I want to do the same to prolong tire life on my next set. I have a 21 IS350 DHP. Thx.
Old 04-25-23, 06:11 AM
FH212
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DS03
Hello. Which setup did you buy, and have you noticed any different handling characteristics since you put these on a few months back? I'm seeing some inner wear on my rears and think I want to do the same to prolong tire life on my next set. I have a 21 IS350 DHP. Thx.
RCF/GSF LCA's for the front and Godspeed Adjustable Camber arms for the rear. Car handles slightly different but its not a negative. Feels pretty close to stock but without the worry of the inner tire wear. Plus the Michelin's are awesome tires that ride and handle great.
DS03 (04-25-23)
Old 04-25-23, 10:32 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Right now on it are the OE Bridgestone Potenza S001Ls summer tires. But they are terrible tires. Honestly, terrible. I’m not looking for super performance from this car but I would like a decent performance tire that won’t get my wife in trouble in the rain when she drives it.
We have a 23 IS350FS we both drive but it’s primarily hers. Feel similarly as you. Got a blowout on a rear the other day and had been leaning towards replacing the S001Ls with the Exhillirates as well based on reviews regarding quietness. Replaced just the one blown tire as an experiment, yep it’s a lot quieter than the 3 OE tires which only have 2000 miles. I’ll do the other rear now, but considering to do different tires completely on the fronts if better handling can be had. Mostly I’m wanting crisp turn in and minimal tramlining with all season capability on the fronts. Which maybe the Goodyear Eagle Exhillirate tires already are?

I like the pavement feel through the steering wheel and driver seat of the S001L tires but that’s about it. Weird turn in feel, coarse road noise, bit harsh over bumps, tram lines at 2,000 miles.

Also can we agree “Exhilarate” is a really stupid name for an Eagle tier tire?

Quick Reply: Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate Tires