IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Door Edge Guards

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 07:58 AM
HeadShot
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Door Edge Guards

Wanted to see what your thoughts on the door edge guards. They are painted to match the car, are already installed and look nice ... But read somewhere that they can promote rusting. Has anyone else heard of this, or experienced this issue? Has anyone removed them? I have never taken on damage at the door's edge that was not protected, and would rather remove them if the edge guard will promote rusting in the future.
Old 02-05-23, 11:42 AM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Edge guards won't cause rust, what will cause the rust is if the edge was already chipped and you see bare metal already. If it's something you want to remove just for aesthetics, you can park the car on a sunny hot day and let the heat warm up the adhesive which will make it easier to remove. If you have a heat gun, you can heat up the edge guard to get the adhesive warm enough for an easy removal. You will have left over adhesive residue which you can remove easily with GooGone or any adhesive remover.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 11:58 AM
HeadShot
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ex00
Edge guards won't cause rust, what will cause the rust is if the edge was already chipped and you see bare metal already. If it's something you want to remove just for aesthetics, you can park the car on a sunny hot day and let the heat warm up the adhesive which will make it easier to remove. If you have a heat gun, you can heat up the edge guard to get the adhesive warm enough for an easy removal. You will have left over adhesive residue which you can remove easily with GooGone or any adhesive remover.
That makes better sense (adding it on top of damaged edge could cause a problem). I appreciate the feedback, and recommendation on removal.

I am thinking I will leave it on. Doesn't bother me at all. If it was going to give me a headache down the road ... I'd remove them. But since they have been on since day-1, if it ain't broken ...
Old 02-05-23, 03:56 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I honestly wished I had edge guards since day 1. After 2 years of being careful with opening my doors, the wind finally won and whipped my door open against another car and denting the edge in the process with chipped paint. An edge guard would have prevented a $120 PDR plus $20 in touchup paint and few nights of worrying about that edge lol.
The following users liked this post:
HeadShot (02-05-23)
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
jm141414
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus wants $80+ for door guards. Any thing a little cheaper?
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,823 Likes on 1,933 Posts

$80+ for all four? Or just one.

I think when I had body work done it was like $56 for one of them to be replaced on my invoice.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
jakuum
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jm141414
Lexus wants $80+ for door guards. Any thing a little cheaper?
$80 ain't that bad if it's the ones painted to match. They've definitely saved my doors from getting dings/chips along the edge. Worst was when my passenger opened the door against a brick planter. Sounded bad but only damaged the edge guard.
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by jakuum
$80 ain't that bad if it's the ones painted to match. They've definitely saved my doors from getting dings/chips along the edge. Worst was when my passenger opened the door against a brick planter. Sounded bad but only damaged the edge guard.
They're not painted. They are just clear plastic film.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I honestly wished I had edge guards since day 1. After 2 years of being careful with opening my doors, the wind finally won and whipped my door open against another car and denting the edge in the process with chipped paint. An edge guard would have prevented a $120 PDR plus $20 in touchup paint and few nights of worrying about that edge lol.
How did the other care fare?
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
wadman55
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had door edge guards on one of my cars here in Sacramento, during our hot summers they definitely unglue and slide , get the 3m transparent door edge guards , about $'100.00 here in CA.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
wadman55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
$80+ for all four? Or just one.

I think when I had body work done it was like $56 for one of them to be replaced on my invoice.
Here in Sacramento about $100.00 for 3m accessory PPV and 200 color match stick on set
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

I guess we need to clarify what a door edge guard is, since it seems to me that folks are talking about two different things.

The "door edge film" as so-called by Lexus are clear, adhesive strips that are installed at the trailing edge of each door on the vehicle so as to protect the door from nearby surfaces when it swings open. You could think of these like a very thin strip of PPF-like material or clear vinyl. I am not actually sure what they're made of, but, having peeled one of my damaged ones off myself, I can say it's pretty much just a protective stick-on layer. There is no color component; it's transparent.

The door edge guards are pieces that are formed to and color-matched to the doors on the car, unlike the door edge film.

Last edited by arentz07; Yesterday at 09:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
wadman55
Driver School Candidate

I guess we need to clarify what a door edge guard is, since it seems to me that folks are talking about two different things.

The "door edge guards" as so-called by Lexus are clear, adhesive strips that are installed at the trailing edge of each door on the vehicle so as to protect the door from nearby surfaces when it swings open. You could think of these like a very thin strip of PPF-like material or clear vinyl. I am not actually sure what they're made of, but, having peeled one of my damaged ones off myself, I can say it's pretty much just a protective stick-on layer. There is no color component; it's transparent.

When people start talking about "paint matching", I start to wonder if they are talking about a different product. Any photos of them?
They are adhivise and slide onto edge of door
paint color matched so they blend in , just like the aftermarket chrome/ black ones but pricer
I'm a retired Toyota Sr Parts Tech and we sold em a lot , didn't have PPV available
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by wadman55
They are adhivise and slide onto edge of door
paint color matched so they blend in , just like the aftermarket chrome/ black ones but pricer
I'm a retired Toyota Sr Parts Tech and we sold em a lot , didn't have PPV available
... And I am saying the ones on my car are clear. They have no color.

The ones on my car also don't "slide" onto anything. They are like a sticker.

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
wadman55
Driver School Candidate

... And I am saying the ones on my car are clear. They have no color.

The ones on my car also don't "slide" onto anything. They are like a sticker.
That's the PPF type
My preference as well
I have the other type on my 66 Nova in black
they get lose and come off in the Sacramento heat, but save the crap outa my paint
Google door edge guards every parts store sells them

Quick Reply: Door Edge Guards