IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Figured Out How To Stop “TRAC OFF” Message When Traction Control Is Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 07:50 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Figured Out How To Stop “TRAC OFF” Message When Traction Control Is Off.

I sold my 3is last year, got a 2020 Highlander…I realized when traction control is fully disabled I can actually get the “TRAC OFF” message to stop popping up…

I know a lot of people hate that feature so I’m wondering if it works on my Toyota if it works on a 3is.

Very simple:
1) Press and hold traction control button for 3 seconds until “TRAC OFF” message appears and traction control indicator shows off.

2) Press the Back button to get the “TRAC OFF” message to disappear (note it comes back after maybe 5 seconds)

3) IMMEDIATELY after the “TRAC OFF” disappears you need to push and HOLD the back button…keep it held and see if the message stays gone.

in my Toyota the message does not reappear which is cool because I hated having TC off and having that message pop up the whole time.

Note* I lost some steering wheel menu controls as effectively you’re pushing and holding the back button constantly…but some controls still work. I’m going to figure out a way to hold it down temporarily or or maybe even build a little switch or something so when my TC is off I’m not bothered by the constant message.

Might not even work in a 3is but worth a shot..maybe something someone can tinker with and finally find a way to keep that stupid traction message off.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (02-21-23)
Old 02-21-23, 08:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
I sold my 3is last year, got a 2020 Highlander…I realized when traction control is fully disabled I can actually get the “TRAC OFF” message to stop popping up…

I know a lot of people hate that feature so I’m wondering if it works on my Toyota if it works on a 3is.

Very simple:
1) Press and hold traction control button for 3 seconds until “TRAC OFF” message appears and traction control indicator shows off.

2) Press the Back button to get the “TRAC OFF” message to disappear (note it comes back after maybe 5 seconds)

3) IMMEDIATELY after the “TRAC OFF” disappears you need to push and HOLD the back button…keep it held and see if the message stays gone.

in my Toyota the message does not reappear which is cool because I hated having TC off and having that message pop up the whole time.

Note* I lost some steering wheel menu controls as effectively you’re pushing and holding the back button constantly…but some controls still work. I’m going to figure out a way to hold it down temporarily or or maybe even build a little switch or something so when my TC is off I’m not bothered by the constant message.

Might not even work in a 3is but worth a shot..maybe something someone can tinker with and finally find a way to keep that stupid traction message off.
That is an awesome idea. I know what I am doing tonight! lol!
Old 02-24-23, 06:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

I tried this last night, and it did not work for me. However, I probably did it wrong. I should've had your instructions up in front of me - I didn't realize I was supposed to press Back and then press and hold Back a second time... is that right?
Old 03-09-23, 09:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars

I managed to try this again recently, and it still didn't work for me.
Old 03-13-23, 10:19 AM
FennyMike
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Question How to get rid of warning pop up menu?

Is it possible to get rid of the annoying pop-up menu that warns you that traction control is off? I can't turn off my traction control and check the mpg I'm getting without me having to click on back continuously.
Old 03-13-23, 02:58 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by FennyMike
Is it possible to get rid of the annoying pop-up menu that warns you that traction control is off? I can't turn off my traction control and check the mpg I'm getting without me having to click on back continuously.
It feels weird to be checking your MPG while driving with TC off, no?

I don't think anyone knows how to do it. Check the prior posts in this thread... I have tried the method proposed above, and it didn't work for me. Feel free to try it for yourself.