IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Understanding the drive modes in the IS 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23, 07:56 AM
gcmak
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I disagree on the steering between S and S+. I would say the steering between Normal and S is barely different - ever so slight. But in S+, on-center heft is obviously higher, and it feels a little more reluctant to steering corrections while in a corner. Honestly, I like the heavier S+ steering a lot.
Might just agree to disagree on this. If there’s an extra step in programming in steering not mentioned by Lexus then we can question a lot of modes and settings in the car. Hehe.

Tangentially, I don’t enjoy artificial heft to steering when it doesn’t add any more feel or feedback.
Old 03-09-23, 08:01 AM
Admonkey
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gcmak
I don’t enjoy artificial heft to steering when it doesn’t add any more feel or feedback.
Is it artificial heft or are they removing some of the assist?
Old 03-09-23, 08:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Admonkey
I've heard it described as removing some of the assist before.

To me, it never seems to have a ton of feel either way. It's not like in the 911 I recently drove, which had heavy electric steering, but sometimes I could actually feel little bumps in the road through the wheel. It was pretty good, even if people love to hate on modern 911 steering setups. They're still better than 99% of other electric steering. Anyways, I like that in Sport S+ it has a bit more resistance. I always wished there was a little more weight in the steering. Whether it's adding feel... I'd need to get it on some different roads and test it out. The roads I've been on so far have all been very smooth.
Old 03-09-23, 08:06 AM
gcmak
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Admonkey
Reducing assist yes. It’s EPS therefore it’s all levels of artificial heft.
Old 03-09-23, 12:43 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

I have this same setup for Custom, mainly because there's not a default way of having this combination of options. I like the more progressive throttle pedal in Normal. If I want to drive it fast, I can just go to manual mode.

Edit: I drove a little in my Custom mode today, and can confirm the steering is much heavier than it is in any other mode except for Sport S+. This seems to confirm my suspicion that Chassis: Sport is what's used in Sport S+.
This whole thread got me to fool around with the custom modes. Prior I had them written off as unnecessary. I pretty much agree with Arentz that Normal and Sport S steering doesn't feel all that different and S+ has a good weight. I found I'm now happy with Custom (power, sport, normal ac), you can get the steering from S+, but with the throttle response and gear behavior from the Sport S. I noticed that on the freeway in S+ it didn't like to go to 8th gear, and in Sport S it would. Also in custom it does as well. So it's a great middle ground between Sport S and S+
The following 2 users liked this post by Renault:
Admonkey (03-09-23), arentz07 (03-09-23)
Old 03-09-23, 01:09 PM
Oreois500
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Renault
This whole thread got me to fool around with the custom modes. Prior I had them written off as unnecessary. I pretty much agree with Arentz that Normal and Sport S steering doesn't feel all that different and S+ has a good weight. I found I'm now happy with Custom (power, sport, normal ac), you can get the steering from S+, but with the throttle response and gear behavior from the Sport S. I noticed that on the freeway in S+ it didn't like to go to 8th gear, and in Sport S it would. Also in custom it does as well. So it's a great middle ground between Sport S and S+
do you switch into custom right soon after starting the engine or do you switch into it like maybe 10-15 minutes into driving?
Old 03-09-23, 01:41 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Oreois500
do you switch into custom right soon after starting the engine or do you switch into it like maybe 10-15 minutes into driving?
​​​I have always waited until the car is at least somewhat warmed up before changing it to sportier driving. But I may be overly cautious and don't think it's really necessary.
The following 3 users liked this post by Renault:
arentz07 (03-09-23), Oreois500 (03-09-23), phoenix888 (03-10-23)
Old 03-09-23, 01:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Renault
​​​I have always waited until the car is at least somewhat warmed up before changing it to sportier driving. But I may be overly cautious and don't think it's really necessary.
My rule of thumb is 15 minutes in cold weather and 10 minutes in warm weather, but now that I have a car with an oil temp gauge again, I just wait till it's at the middle of the range. This is more reliable, since the kind of driving I am doing has a lot of influence on the oil temps (as well as transmission fluid, etc.).

Nothing wrong with going into those modes, but you have to use some self-control.

Also, I noticed today that if I move to Sport S+ before the car has fully warmed up, the transmission doesn't seem to want to automatically downshift when I change modes. Something to note. At the end of the day, the control systems in the car are going to try and prevent damage by disallowing too many shenanigans if temps are too high or too low.

Last edited by arentz07; 03-09-23 at 02:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oreois500 (03-09-23)
Old 03-09-23, 02:00 PM
Oreois500
Rookie

My rule of thumb is 15 minutes in cold weather and 10 minutes in warm weather, but now that I have an oil temp gauge, I just wait till it's at the middle of the range. This is more reliable, since the kind of driving I am doing has a lot of influence on the oil temps (as well as transmission fluid, etc.).
what sort of gauge are you using? I want something a bit more telling than the two gauges in the normal gauge cluster
Old 03-09-23, 02:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Oreois500
what sort of gauge are you using? I want something a bit more telling than the two gauges in the normal gauge cluster
... I am just using the gauge in the cluster.

From what I understand, it is calibrated such that operating temp is near the middle. If it goes above the middle, your oil is getting hot. Below that, it's not fully up to temp yet.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket options at the moment, though I suspect there are some generic OBD2 smartphone apps that could work.
Old 03-09-23, 02:22 PM
Oreois500
Rookie

... I am just using the gauge in the cluster.

From what I understand, it is calibrated such that operating temp is near the middle. If it goes above the middle, your oil is getting hot. Below that, it's not fully up to temp yet.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket options at the moment, though I suspect there are some generic OBD2 smartphone apps that could work.
oh gotcha, maybe I misread your other post. Made it seem like you had a separate one
Old 01-03-24, 01:34 PM
chartram
Driver School Candidate

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for this thread, even though it’s an old one! The manual isn’t very clear on exactly what changes in the different modes, and whatever changes going form Normal to Sport seems to be very subtle . Like others, I prefer the heftier steering of S+ but most of my driving is in normal and Sport. Guess it’s time to explore the custom mode. Cheers!
Old 01-03-24, 01:52 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by chartram
Thanks for this thread, even though it’s an old one! The manual isn’t very clear on exactly what changes in the different modes, and whatever changes going form Normal to Sport seems to be very subtle . Like others, I prefer the heftier steering of S+ but most of my driving is in normal and Sport. Guess it’s time to explore the custom mode. Cheers!
You can make custom mode normal throttle and heavy steering.
The following users liked this post:
chartram (01-10-24)
Old 01-03-24, 02:42 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by macmaster
You can make custom mode normal throttle and heavy steering.
Yes, or even Sport S throttle with heavy steering, which is how I have mine. As far as I know, it is not possible to use S+ powertrain with Custom Mode, for whatever that is worth.

I have started to like my current setup a little more because I don't see a point of having the heavier steering and firmer suspension unless I am driving it spiritedly, or at least a little bit spiritedly.
Old 01-05-24, 05:09 AM
04gita
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, or even Sport S throttle with heavy steering, which is how I have mine. As far as I know, it is not possible to use S+ powertrain with Custom Mode, for whatever that is worth..
I would LOVE to have "S+ but without the artificially heavy steering", but unfortunately you can't access S+ transmission maps or S+ pretty gauges from the Custom settings.

Quick Reply: Understanding the drive modes in the IS 500