IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

RSR Down IS500 springs - car is not level

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 08:24 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RSR Down IS500 springs - car is not level

Hello all,
I‘m on my 2nd (long story) L.E. IS500.

The first IS500 from last year I installed what I thought was one of the first pair of IS500 specific RSR Down springs, ordered from Jason w/ Meraki. After the install my 500 looked level, I loved everything about it, ride quality and height.

I’m now on my 2nd LE IS500, and I ordered the RSR IS500 specific springs direct through RSR, thinking shipping would be quicker (which it was).
I installed the springs, and my rear is 1.5” lower than the front?
These are 2 identical cars, same exact setups, no other modifications. Both less than 10K miles.

I have pics of the new car, with the ride height difference, I don’t think I have any of the old car after springs.

I reached out to RSR and they sent me an instruction sheet to complete and return. I’m worried they won’t pay for the removal/install for a new correct set, that ran me $400 install for the rear.

I don’t know if they sent me the wrong springs or what, the package was marked correctly with the new IS500 part number.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is your rear as tucked as mine is? Significantly different height than the front. Looks like I have 3 grown adult men in the backseat.

Front: 678mm
Rear: 640mm
(1.5” difference front to rear)

Last edited by FI4runner; 03-16-23 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-16-23, 09:54 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I think it's because your front tires are Bridgestone and your rear tires are Michelin.
No, I've seen this before on Velobrew's car, which is odd bc you were actually the last person to reply to that thread and I'm surprised you missed it. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-15-20mm.html
You could also return them and wait for these. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...to-borrow.html
But the best (but priciest) option would probably be to get these. https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...is5fsu0005.htm

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-17-23 at 07:03 AM. Reason: No need for personal comments. Don’t post if you cannot leave that off
Old 03-16-23, 11:36 PM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by FI4runner
Hello all,
I‘m on my 2nd (long story) L.E. IS500.

The first IS500 from last year I installed what I thought was one of the first pair of IS500 specific RSR Down springs, ordered from Jason w/ Meraki. After the install my 500 looked level, I loved everything about it, ride quality and height.

I’m now on my 2nd LE IS500, and I ordered the RSR IS500 specific springs direct through RSR, thinking shipping would be quicker (which it was).
I installed the springs, and my rear is 1.5” lower than the front?
These are 2 identical cars, same exact setups, no other modifications. Both less than 10K miles.

I have pics of the new car, with the ride height difference, I don’t think I have any of the old car after springs.

I reached out to RSR and they sent me an instruction sheet to complete and return. I’m worried they won’t pay for the removal/install for a new correct set, that ran me $400 install for the rear.

I don’t know if they sent me the wrong springs or what, the package was marked correctly with the new IS500 part number.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is your rear as tucked as mine is? Significantly different height than the front. Looks like I have 3 grown adult men in the backseat.

Front: 678mm
Rear: 640mm
(1.5” difference front to rear)
How long have the springs been installed? Maybe the fronts need some time to settle. Is it possible the fronts and rears were installed on the wrong sides? I think these springs are supposed to lower the front more than the rear. Also, am I reading this right - you installed both front and rear pairs of springs, or only the rear pair?
Old 03-17-23, 03:22 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

FWIW, When I installed the RSR spring on my 2019 RC 350 AWD, I ran into the same issue. The rear looked exactly the same and the dealership that installed them was as confused as I was. They tried to fix it time and time again and nothing worked so I reverted to the original rear springs which was OK as my gap in the front was originally more than the rear so in the end, the car looked perfectly level with just the front.

I am not suggesting that you revert to the original spring in the rear but just to say that I had a similar issue with my RSR springs in the past which is why I would rather leave mine OEM now....especially on the IS, I don't think the gap is that much and what you fix on the top of the wheel well, you create on the front/back of the wheels. Keep us posted however as I am sure many people are considering lowering theirs so will be interested to see what the outcome is...I doubt it's an installer issue as I had the exact same thing (on a different car mind you).

Just curious - any reason you chose RS-R over Swift? Also, why did you swap your original IS 500?
The following users liked this post:
FI4runner (03-17-23)
Old 03-17-23, 04:39 AM
BigBJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine look pretty similar to that
Old 03-17-23, 04:41 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ Really? That would bother me (visually) - That doesn't distract you?
Old 03-17-23, 06:40 AM
CLUB300
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the one reason why I ended up spending the extra money and just going with the coil overs.

I have not installed them yet, but I know I will get the perfect ride height once I do.

I had RS-S downs on my last Lexus and had the same problem like they springs were switched around.

Old 03-17-23, 09:20 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Thats strange..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-17-23, 10:01 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Thats strange..

-Josh
It's not strange. Everybody in this thread confirmed their RSR springs do the same thing, and multiple photos of the IS500 with RSR springs show the same thing...even on your own instagram post!

I reckon it's just a bad spring design. RSR = Rear Sagging Ride. LOL. I think we can move on. Next.

Last edited by macmaster; 03-17-23 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-17-23, 11:33 AM
LA20671
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Also, you got to look at the rear wheel well, its not as big as the front wheel well.
Old 03-17-23, 12:50 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScytheDC
How long have the springs been installed? Maybe the fronts need some time to settle. Is it possible the fronts and rears were installed on the wrong sides? I think these springs are supposed to lower the front more than the rear. Also, am I reading this right - you installed both front and rear pairs of springs, or only the rear pair?
Springs have been installed for 800 miles now.
The front and rear RSR springs have been installed. Correctly.
Old 03-17-23, 12:51 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wthrman2
FWIW, When I installed the RSR spring on my 2019 RC 350 AWD, I ran into the same issue. The rear looked exactly the same and the dealership that installed them was as confused as I was. They tried to fix it time and time again and nothing worked so I reverted to the original rear springs which was OK as my gap in the front was originally more than the rear so in the end, the car looked perfectly level with just the front.

I am not suggesting that you revert to the original spring in the rear but just to say that I had a similar issue with my RSR springs in the past which is why I would rather leave mine OEM now....especially on the IS, I don't think the gap is that much and what you fix on the top of the wheel well, you create on the front/back of the wheels. Keep us posted however as I am sure many people are considering lowering theirs so will be interested to see what the outcome is...I doubt it's an installer issue as I had the exact same thing (on a different car mind you).

Just curious - any reason you chose RS-R over Swift? Also, why did you swap your original IS 500?
This is good to know, thank you.
I went RSR because they were/are the only ones out. Swift has not started shipping yet.
Previous 500 was totaled.

Last edited by FI4runner; 03-17-23 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (03-18-23)
Old 03-17-23, 12:53 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Thats strange..

-Josh
It is. Because the set you sent me was perfect.

There are also pictures of IS500 with the IS350 RSR springs, and they look level and even. But the specific IS500 springs, don't sit level?
Seems like an inconsistent quality control issue from RSR or spring MFG issue? I don't know.
But I can't stand my *** end sagging like this. I've lowered many cars in the past and never had this issue.

Here is velobrew's IS500 with IS350 RSR springs. His frontend looks about 1" lowered than mine. From the top of my wheel, to the top of my fender is almost 4". His looks less than 3".

Last edited by FI4runner; 03-17-23 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-17-23, 12:55 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LA20671
Also, you got to look at the rear wheel well, its not as big as the front wheel well.
The top of the rear and top of the front wheel wells should still sit the same height from the ground, or at least very close to it. Not 1.5" off front to back. The shape/design will depend on the front end, doors, etc.
I have 3 lowered cars, and 2 lifted trucks, and my other 4 vehicles all have matching wheel well measurements from the top of the arch.
Old 03-17-23, 01:03 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Thr back of my car does that sometimes too. Like in thus photo, I have like 50 lbs in the trunk and it is sagging. I just chalked it up to soft suspension. It's weird your car does it too with different springs.

Quick Reply: RSR Down IS500 springs - car is not level