IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Did you let your dealership wash the car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 06:38 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Did you let your dealership wash the car?

Did you guys let your dealership wash your car before driving it home after purchase or ask them not to wash it at all? I know most dealership car washes dont wash properly and scratch paint. Same rule of thumb for Lexus dealership? Ask them nicely to not wash at all before taking home?
Old 04-05-23, 06:41 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Lol. Another question. Another day you still haven't bought the car. You're freaking hilarious man. I'm loving this...
The following users liked this post:
Kanpai (04-06-23)
Old 04-05-23, 06:48 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by macmaster
Lol. Another question. Another day you still haven't bought the car. You're freaking hilarious man. I'm loving this...
Bro i have no idea who you are but you're actually getting on my nerves now. I'm sorting out the last few details and options on my car that just delivered to the dealership so I'm asking for input from fellow owners who I'd hope would be nice enough to chime in with a positive vibe. Clearly you are not that. How much time do you have that you enjoy pestering me and calling me some other poster that I'm not lmao it's pathetic. I don't know what proof you need that I'm actually getting the car or that I'm not this felixcat person you keep calling me.
Old 04-05-23, 06:48 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by albertcado
Did you guys let your dealership wash your car before driving it home after purchase or ask them not to wash it at all? I know most dealership car washes dont wash properly and scratch paint. Same rule of thumb for Lexus dealership? Ask them nicely to not wash at all before taking home?
Yes, but not since then.
The following 3 users liked this post by 95bat:
albertcado (04-05-23), phoenix888 (04-06-23), Shoeboy4 (04-05-23)
Old 04-06-23, 02:49 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

The day the car is driven off the lot is the first and LAST time. Going forward, make sure your profile clearly states ‘No Wash’.

If you plan to get the car PPF’ed and ceramic coated, a good shop will inspect the car first. If paint correction is needed or micro-scratches require buffing, they will do it. (There is a charge for it in most shops, but worth it.)

Good luck, can’t wait to see it!
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
albertcado (04-06-23), arentz07 (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 04:31 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

albertcado - I would strongly suggest that you talk to dealer prior to your vehicle being detailed to specify that you are very particular and that you want to make sure the car is not scratched and such. Some dealers are very good but some aren't as careful and even mine made a few swirl marks (that came off) but afterwards, as other have said, detail the car yourself to avoid unwanted surprises.

If I may make a suggestion - I understand that as a potential owner, you are asking current owners questions and that is a very smart strategy to avoid unwanted surprises. trust me, I would do the same and luckily for me, after owning a few IS in the past, going to the 500 wasn't a huge unknown. What I would suggest is that rather than creating a new thread for each question, create a dedicated thread for your purchase and then ask the questions in that thread. The advantage will also be for you to have all the answers to your questions in a single spot so that you can refer to it much more easily. My 2 cents of course

Last edited by wthrman2; 04-06-23 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling mistake
The following 8 users liked this post by wthrman2:
arentz07 (04-06-23), Bechtold (04-06-23), DaveGS4 (04-06-23), DLPTony (04-06-23), IssaV8 (04-06-23), jgscott (04-06-23), LA20671 (04-06-23), TheWizard (04-06-23) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-23, 04:46 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Now that’s a seasoned CL’er for ya! Great suggestion and post!
The following 3 users liked this post by DLPTony:
DaveGS4 (04-06-23), jgscott (04-06-23), wthrman2 (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 07:09 AM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Received 221 Likes on 104 Posts

Hell to the NO!
wthrman2 (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 07:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

+1, the dealerships I've been to are more than happy to honor the "no wash" note. I've done that on both my IS 350 and my IS 500, at two different locations.

Forget dealerships - I tend to avoid automatic car washes in general, unless they are touchless (i.e., they use only water and no spinning brushes).
wthrman2 (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 08:36 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
+1, the dealerships I've been to are more than happy to honor the "no wash" note. I've done that on both my IS 350 and my IS 500, at two different locations.

Forget dealerships - I tend to avoid automatic car washes in general, unless they are touchless (i.e., they use only water and no spinning brushes).
And your service visits are much faster not waiting on a wash!

I am guilty of the touchless car wash from time to time. Sometimes I just don't want to hand wash lol but the ceramic keeps the car looking excellent no matter the wash type.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
albertcado (04-06-23), arentz07 (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 01:47 PM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

No on letting the dealership wash it.

And I avoid the touchless washes too. I will use in a pinch if I absolutely need to get something off the car. The chemicals they use are pretty harsh.
albertcado (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 03:29 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

Received 417 Likes on 166 Posts

Don't let the dealer wash it. I explicitly said "no wash, leave the plastics on," and they went ahead and did all of it anyway. Choice was to take it, or leave it. Brought the car home and had it lightly polished to remove some of the damage they inflicted from using brooms and whatever they use to wash at the dealership. I can still see it under certain lighting, but I was not trying to reduce my clearcoat significantly so early in the car's life. Just say no to dealer washes! The window trim is also delicate and cannot be polished and will discolor in touchless washes, if it uses strong soaps.
albertcado (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 03:56 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wthrman2
albertcado - I would strongly suggest that you talk to dealer prior to your vehicle being detailed to specify that you are very particular and that you want to make sure the car is not scratched and such. Some dealers are very good but some aren't as careful and even mine made a few swirl marks (that came off) but afterwards, as other have said, detail the car yourself to avoid unwanted surprises.

If I may make a suggestion - I understand that as a potential owner, you are asking current owners questions and that is a very smart strategy to avoid unwanted surprises. trust me, I would do the same and luckily for me, after owning a few IS in the past, going to the 500 wasn't a huge unknown. What I would suggest is that rather than creating a new thread for each question, create a dedicated thread for your purchase and then ask the questions in that thread. The advantage will also be for you to have all the answers to your questions in a single spot so that you can refer to it much more easily. My 2 cents of course
That's very good and helpful advice I appreciate it. I will definitely put everything in one thread moving forward to make it easier for everyone.
Old 04-06-23, 04:07 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IssaV8
Don't let the dealer wash it. I explicitly said "no wash, leave the plastics on," and they went ahead and did all of it anyway. Choice was to take it, or leave it. Brought the car home and had it lightly polished to remove some of the damage they inflicted from using brooms and whatever they use to wash at the dealership. I can still see it under certain lighting, but I was not trying to reduce my clearcoat significantly so early in the car's life. Just say no to dealer washes! The window trim is also delicate and cannot be polished and will discolor in touchless washes, if it uses strong soaps.
I've actually never experienced peeling away the plastic films on a brand new car, but I bet it's satisfying. I'll ask my sales rep to firmly ask that no one washes the car and maybe they'll even leave the plastics on 🤞.
The last thing I want are swirls or scratches right before scheduling PPF. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-06-23, 04:14 PM
LA20671
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

My dealer got the touchless wash which I only had them use when I first got my car, before the PPF and ceramic coat was applied. I only had the dealer wash once, after that I did all the washing.
albertcado (04-06-23)

Quick Reply: Did you let your dealership wash the car?