IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Intake system

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 10:02 AM
Murmi
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Intake system

SO I HAVE A TOM'S RACING FILTER ON THE WAY! BUT WAS WONDERING IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER OPTIONS AS FAR AS THE INDUCTION SIDE GOES.
ANYONE HAVE THIS? ----> https://www.topendmotorsports.com/le...iber-35568.php
Old 04-07-23, 10:25 AM
Vendetta
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

I would look at this: https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...gsfitk0006.htm

The heat shield on this alone has been tested and confirmed to reduce intake temps up to 20 degrees. The Tom's system is cool, but $600 for a CF elbow is just insane.
Old 04-07-23, 10:31 AM
Murmi
Driver

Originally Posted by Vendetta
I would look at this: https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...gsfitk0006.htm

The heat shield on this alone has been tested and confirmed to reduce intake temps up to 20 degrees. The Tom's system is cool, but $600 for a CF elbow is just insane.

So im actually really close to RR Racing so i figured hey im leaving work early today, let me call see if they have it in stock so i can swing by and pick it up. Finally got someone on the phone to say they were rude would be an understatement, didnt seem interested in selling the product at all. Was told to call back another day maybe they can help me then
Old 04-07-23, 10:52 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 211 Posts

honestly, if you're not worried about appearance, just get an AFE filter and the RR Racing heat shield. Toms's uses that sponge filter and those aren't the greatest. the OEM tube is more than sufficient for it's duty.
The following users liked this post:
Murmi (04-07-23)
Old 04-07-23, 11:02 AM
Murmi
Driver

Originally Posted by cp2
honestly, if you're not worried about appearance, just get an afe filter and the rr racing heat shield. Toms's uses that sponge filter and those aren't the greatest. The oem tube is more than sufficient for it's duty.
so there is no benefit to swaping out the oem tube? I have the tom's racing filter on the way already. Maybe ill just order the rr racing heat shield off the interenet def not calling back.
Old 04-07-23, 11:19 AM
Vendetta
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

The benefits I can see to swapping out the stock intake elbow would be eliminating the accordion piping on the stock tube for more intake noise, possibly slightly more airflow if the new tube has a wider diameter and possible better thermals depending the material the tube is constructed out of.
Most likely it'll just be for looks and maybe more intake sound.
Murmi (04-07-23)
Old 04-07-23, 11:26 AM
Murmi
Driver

Originally Posted by Vendetta
The benefits I can see to swapping out the stock intake elbow would be eliminating the accordion piping on the stock tube for more intake noise, possibly slightly more airflow if the new tube has a wider diameter and possible better thermals depending the material the tube is constructed out of.
Most likely it'll just be for looks and maybe more intake sound.
I definitely wouldn’t mind more of this glorious engine sound! I think carbon fiber is more heat resistant as well (don’t hold me to it) but being in the hot engine bay I’m sure the stock plastic tube gets pretty warm which heats up the air going in. Might be a minimal difference thou.
Old 04-07-23, 12:31 PM
cp2
Racer

as mentioned before, the changing of the tube would be for aesthetics for the most part. CF or Ti are nicer looking, but as far as power gains, very minimal.
AmbyBomb (04-07-23)
Old 04-07-23, 12:33 PM
Murmi
Driver

Originally Posted by cp2
as mentioned before, the changing of the tube would be for aesthetics for the most part. Cf or ti are nicer looking, but as far as power gains, very minimal.
oh i get it trust me, just wondering if it makes a difference sound wise.
Old 04-08-23, 04:10 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by Murmi
so there is no benefit to swaping out the oem tube? I have the tom's racing filter on the way already. Maybe ill just order the rr racing heat shield off the interenet def not calling back.
You probably spoke to Simon or Justin. They have the worst reputation online for *no* customer service. One of our car group members owns a shop, called them for info and Simon was extremely rude. Ultimately one of the co-owners, Rafi, got involved and straightened it out. Since they seem to have the F market cornered, their britches might be too tight.
Old 04-08-23, 09:15 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Murmi

So im actually really close to RR Racing so i figured hey im leaving work early today, let me call see if they have it in stock so i can swing by and pick it up. Finally got someone on the phone to say they were rude would be an understatement, didnt seem interested in selling the product at all. Was told to call back another day maybe they can help me then
Originally Posted by DLPTony
You probably spoke to Simon or Justin. They have the worst reputation online for *no* customer service. One of our car group members owns a shop, called them for info and Simon was extremely rude. Ultimately one of the co-owners, Rafi, got involved and straightened it out. Since they seem to have the F market cornered, their britches might be too tight.
That's a shame. The heat shield looks interesting, even if the benefits is overestimated it looks pretty cool as well. But who wants to support people who treat customers that way?
DLPTony (04-08-23)
Old 04-09-23, 03:42 PM
cp2
Racer

that's weird cause I've never had any issues with their customer service! okay, they never answer the phone or have called me back, but they do respond to emails and pm's (on here) pretty well.

the benefits from the shield nothing more than what to expect from some of the CAI systems that come w/ a separate chamber for other cars. it's just another shield that keeps warmer air away from the air box. the combination of this shield and extra ram air doesn't ever hurt.
Old 04-21-23, 09:05 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
that's weird cause I've never had any issues with their customer service! okay, they never answer the phone or have called me back, but they do respond to emails and pm's (on here) pretty well.

the benefits from the shield nothing more than what to expect from some of the CAI systems that come w/ a separate chamber for other cars. it's just another shield that keeps warmer air away from the air box. the combination of this shield and extra ram air doesn't ever hurt.
I looked up a video on this being installed. They had to cut some trim under the hood to get it to fit. Does anyone know if the IS needs trim pieces cut too?

I was thinking of trying one out, but not if I have to cut up my car even slightly. I am pretty tired, but I'm not seeing any heada up at all on their website that cutting is required.
DLPTony (04-22-23)
Old 04-22-23, 04:38 AM
Murmi
Driver

Originally Posted by 95bat
I looked up a video on this being installed. They had to cut some trim under the hood to get it to fit. Does anyone know if the IS needs trim pieces cut too?

I was thinking of trying one out, but not if I have to cut up my car even slightly. I am pretty tired, but I'm not seeing any heada up at all on their website that cutting is required.

Yes the side plastic trim needs to have a small hole cut to allow fresh air into the stock intake box rather than sucking the hot air from the engine bay
Old 04-22-23, 07:17 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
This is my personal stumbling block. I want to do a few things to mine, but the thought of cutting anything on a brand new car makes me physically ill. Maybe I won’t feel that way after the 10th year anniversary! 😂

Quick Reply: Intake system