IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Scraped Under Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 10:34 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
That Motor Frontier Page should just be called myreasonsnottobuyanis500.com It's so weird to me as it seems to be 90%+ the reason for it's existence. I read it over but I still love my IS 500 so mission accomplished?
Seems like he's taking a swipe at us at ClubLexus, meanwhile living out altar ego's by trying to gain favor here with nonsensical posts under many different usernames. Tehehe. This guy and his website is just pure entertainment. Charles Chen....man I thought Asians were supposed to be smart.

The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
Kanpai (05-03-23), TipsyTonio (05-03-23)
Old 05-02-23, 10:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Friendly reminder that this thread is about the bumper scrapes.
Old 05-03-23, 05:21 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 981 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Friendly reminder that this thread is about the bumper scrapes.
This is my fault for bringing the bananas into this
Old 05-05-23, 08:28 AM
jjk26
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

im so paranoid about bumper scrapes, that i hit the camera button and inch up to the curb
The following users liked this post:
Carolina50 (05-06-23)
Old 05-05-23, 08:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by jjk26
im so paranoid about bumper scrapes, that i hit the camera button and inch up to the curb
I have to admit... same here.
Old 05-06-23, 08:16 AM
CplClegg
Driver

Received 175 Likes on 49 Posts

Look into scrape armor branded protection. Saw some installed on a gt500 recently. I'll likely be getting them for my car since I've done the same.

They can be seen under the front splitter. Made from thick plastic, this car has them all around.
Old 05-09-23, 07:53 AM
SpudsMcD
Pit Crew

Received 152 Likes on 68 Posts

If he is a true friend, he will reimburse you the cost of repair, even if you choose not to repair it. Get two of three quotes from decent shops to repair it, present him with the quotes and just say here's what it's going to cost to repair your damage. I wouldn't bother having it repaired, but the extra $ will be nice.
FisforFucGM (07-25-23)
Old 05-09-23, 08:03 AM
trooper141
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudsMcD
If he is a true friend, he will reimburse you the cost of repair, even if you choose not to repair it. Get two of three quotes from decent shops to repair it, present him with the quotes and just say here's what it's going to cost to repair your damage. I wouldn't bother having it repaired, but the extra $ will be nice.
honestly don’t event feel like asking since this can happen to anyone even while being careful.
TipsyTonio (05-09-23)
Old 05-09-23, 08:18 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Nah don't ask him for money. Just jokingly give him a hard time about it and tell him "he owes you one." Maybe someday it'll pay for itself when you need it to.

TipsyTonio (05-09-23)
Old 05-09-23, 10:45 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Jeez. I'd hate to be your friend.
Originally Posted by macmaster
Nah don't ask him for money. Just jokingly give him a hard time about it and tell him "he owes you one." Maybe someday it'll pay for itself when you need it to.
Hey, something I can actually agree with @macmaster on lol.

Last edited by arentz07; 07-04-23 at 08:30 AM.
arentz07 (05-10-23)
Old 05-10-23, 09:13 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

Received 417 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jjk26
Im so paranoid I have it set to turn on automatically as soon as I go below 7mph, even for those parking lot curbs you gotta go around and for inching up to crosswalks at a light!

I bought some stick on under bumper guards on that amazon place and it has definitely eaten some scrapes for me. Still managed to scrape a corner on a steep entrance, but those little pucks are scraped completely and that could have been my actual bumper! Best $20 I ever spent.
The following 2 users liked this post by IssaV8:
arentz07 (05-11-23), CplClegg (05-11-23)
Old 06-30-23, 08:08 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I just did it today absolute pit in stomach been so upset, I had a lowered car for so long. I must have gotten cocky. I’m an idiot can’t see it front on but it’s gonna bother me.
Old 06-30-23, 08:33 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vpar23
I just did it today absolute pit in stomach been so upset, I had a lowered car for so long. I must have gotten cocky. I’m an idiot can’t see it front on but it’s gonna bother me.

does anyone know the paint code for the gloss black lip piece? Going to have my detailer touch up a bit
Old 07-01-23, 07:32 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vpar23
does anyone know the paint code for the gloss black lip piece? Going to have my detailer touch up a bit
I'm not sure there is a paint code for that one. BUT this sounds like a DIY or job for a body shop, not your detailer.

I have this, if If you're going to DIY. This is the most glossy black paint on earth:
Amazon Amazon

You'll have to wet sand the plastic to smooth it out, starting from low grit to the highest grit you can find. Depending on well you smooth it will determine how glossy it turns out. In the end it won't be an exact match up close but from 10 feet away you cant really tell. Don't thank me until youre done lol.
Old 07-01-23, 02:04 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by macmaster
I'm not sure there is a paint code for that one. BUT this sounds like a DIY or job for a body shop, not your detailer.

I have this, if If you're going to DIY. This is the most glossy black paint on earth:
https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-620-1.../dp/B0019K9132

You'll have to wet sand the plastic to smooth it out, starting from low grit to the highest grit you can find. Depending on well you smooth it will determine how glossy it turns out. In the end it won't be an exact match up close but from 10 feet away you cant really tell. Don't thank me until youre done lol.

thanks bro! I honestly can only see some thing when I’m basically parallel to the lower lip which literally no one will ever be. Doesn’t mean that hurts any less. Second photo is legit when I’m parallel with flash on it haha, if some how it can get touched up where that’s less noticeable I’ll be happy. Detailer said he can sand it and touch it up and it’s a common thing. Body shop wants to rip off the bumper and repaint, which is a no go cause bumper will probably start to sag too. Gonna keep an eye out if the scrape causes anything to sag

Quick Reply: Scraped Under Bumper