IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

BBS wheels holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 04:17 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

14000 miles on mine, still exactly like the day I bought them. But I warn anyone that goes to touch them that they are $2000 and that generally makes them be careful. At Discount Tire I patiently wait for them to use the automatic machine even if it means waiting an extra hour or two. Idk how the OP has scratches around the edge from the dealer at 2000 miles. Why is the dealer even touching your wheels? We can't rotate them, and even if what you did is balancing, that should not affect the edge in the slightest. Did you get new wheels?
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23, 04:40 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
14000 miles on mine, still exactly like the day I bought them. But I warn anyone that goes to touch them that they are $2000 and that generally makes them be careful. At Discount Tire I patiently wait for them to use the automatic machine even if it means waiting an extra hour or two. Idk how the OP has scratches around the edge from the dealer at 2000 miles. Why is the dealer even touching your wheels? We can't rotate them, and even if what you did is balancing, that should not affect the edge in the slightest. Did you get new wheels?
I have summer and winter tires. I went to go swap my winters for my stock potenzas
Old 05-18-23, 04:42 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by vpar23
I have summer and winter tires. I went to go swap my winters for my stock potenzas
Damn. Hopefully they do something to fix this. I've encountered more and more dealers lately that will tell you "there's no guarantee we won't scratch the wheels when replacing tires". They really want to cover their butts. Discount Tire has never said that and instead they always tell me I have nothing to worry about as their machines are designed to not scratch wheels and in the unlikely event that they do, they will fix/replace them.
Old 05-18-23, 04:59 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ I agree, my Lexus dealer where I had my rims swapped, there was not a single blemish on it!! The guy was extremely careful and I thanked him profusely to be so efficient with them, I even went to get him a gift card from the local coffee shop (Tim Horton) as a thank you gesture, I know that is what they are supposed to do (be careful) but most arent so when you find someone who cares, I feel it is important to recognize it
Fman2118 (05-19-23)
Old 05-18-23, 06:34 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

When I first got my car in the winter I immediately had winters put on and not a single blemish, this time obviously not. I hope they make it right too he said he is looking into it.

I have tire and wheel protection because I knew how sensitive these wheels would be but I only get 6 cosmetic fixes.

im honestly hoping two things, there is an is500 sitting in their showroom. Maybe they swap? Doubt it lol.

Worst case I’ll accept 500 dollars and get them refinished after a couple years of the rims getting beat up. I don’t think I’ll get my tires swapped by them ever again though
Old 05-18-23, 07:31 AM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

If you have wheel and tire protection, why not use it and put in a claim? After all you did pay for the protection. Use it!
Old 05-18-23, 07:45 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ScytheDC
If you have wheel and tire protection, why not use it and put in a claim? After all you did pay for the protection. Use it!
I would use it but it’s on all 4 rims! I only got 6 cosmetic refinishes so I think I would have to use 4/6? Not sure.

Also it sucks having to use it on something I didn’t do, if it was my damage I would have no problem using.
Old 05-18-23, 10:55 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Update dealer planning on repairing all rims at no cost to me. Only repairing affected areas.
arentz07 (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23, 12:01 PM
LA20671
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by vpar23
Update dealer planning on repairing all rims at no cost to me. Only repairing affected areas.
SOLID! Hopefully the person doing the job is legit. I think my dealer would have replaced it.
Old 05-18-23, 01:49 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LA20671
SOLID! Hopefully the person doing the job is legit. I think my dealer would have replaced it.
thanks yeah the whole idea that they are painting makes me pretty nervous I won’t lie but not sure I can do anything else. I’m sure your relationship with your dealer is better?
Old 05-18-23, 07:12 PM
SynZero
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I've only had my car since February so my wheels have held up pretty well. I did discover a small nick towards the edge of the rim on one of my front wheels. I don't parallel park the car, it hasn't seen any service dept, and I haven't hit any potholes. It looks like it happened while I just driving around normally or whatever. It's really small, but I still notice it. I got the wheel coverage as well, but I'm not going to use it for something that isn't too major.
Old 05-18-23, 07:57 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by SynZero
...I've only had my car since February so my wheels have held up pretty well. I did discover a small nick towards the edge of the rim on one of my front wheels. I don't parallel park the car, it hasn't seen any service dept, and I haven't hit any potholes. It looks like it happened while I just driving around normally or whatever. It's really small, but I still notice it. I got the wheel coverage as well, but I'm not going to use it for something that isn't too major.
I also got mine in February.

When mine finally, FINALLY is back from the body shop, I'll take a photo. (for the love of all that is good in the world, please, give me my car back, one month is more than enough time to fix one dent)
Old 05-18-23, 09:38 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 922 Likes on 425 Posts

Mine look just fine but I also have separate winter wheels so I'm not swapping tires every 6 months.
Old 05-19-23, 05:39 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ That is very smart!! That is the proper way to do it! On my daily drivers, I have steel rims with winter tires and people here will say, oh why bother spending money on steel rims?!? I am like what?! The amount of money spent every spring/fall to install, rebalance wheels on top of the potential damage, it is far easier to get steelies and do it myself.

I understand we can't put steel wheels on an IS 500 but as you said, get a set of aftermarket rims and call it a day
Old 05-19-23, 07:42 AM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 367 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ That is very smart!! That is the proper way to do it! On my daily drivers, I have steel rims with winter tires and people here will say, oh why bother spending money on steel rims?!? I am like what?! The amount of money spent every spring/fall to install, rebalance wheels on top of the potential damage, it is far easier to move down South!
Fixed it for ya! HeHe
wthrman2 (05-19-23)

Quick Reply: BBS wheels holding up?