IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What have you done to your IS500 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 07:51 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by geckornr
They've been posted before, but I got curious about the TRD Door Stabilizers (MS304-00001), so bought four and installed them tonight. I've got the mod bug and there isn't much out there for the IS 500 unfortunately, plus I'm generally a fan of TRD products so I researched these stabilizers a bit before the purchase.

The TRD Door Stabilizers are mostly talked about with the 86 and Prius, but I found some positive feedback on them in the Tacoma and 4Runner communities as well, so I decided to give them a shot.

A few thoughts:
  • To be clear, I bought these with low expectations, and more out of curiosity. I do not have any ambition of door stabilizers changing how my car drives.
  • My car has 650 miles on it, so if it's going to lack stability or rigidity, it certainly shouldn't right now 😅.
  • I've always thought the IS was a pretty solid/rigid feeling car - moreso than my Tacoma, 4Runners, GXs, etc. I don't sense a lot of chassis flex or "give" with this car.
  • The stock door latch has a pretty substantial black plastic cover on it... I don't think Toyota products have this plastic covering on the latch (86, Prius, 4Runner, my Tacoma does not have it). Off the bat I thought, "This plastic brace over the OEM door latch probably does the same thing I just paid $200 for these 'placebo effect' stabilizers to do). Damn!"
  • I assume Lexus models have the plastic latch covering and Toyota products don't... but I haven't done enough research to validate that theory. Pic of the OEM latch below.

So, onto the installation:
  • The install is extremely easy and probably takes MAYBE 5 minutes per door.
  • After installing one on each door and thinking through the things above, I had very low expectations when I finished because as I was closing the doors from the exterior, I did not notice any change in feeling or sound. On the 86 forums and communities, people note "a more solid feeling door open/close." I didn't experience that.

However, when I was finished I got in the car and closed each door from the inside and I will say that process does sound and feel a bit different. Stock, the IS has a solid sounding "thud" when you close the door. With the door stabilizers, there's a thud and associated click sound and feeling as well, and it does feel a little bit more "solid." That's all I've got to report for now. I haven't driven the car yet and again, I don't have any expectation of these changing much, if anything. My sense is that Lexus products get the black plastic latch covering that has a similar effect to the TRD Door Stabilizers, but not exactly the same since there is no spacer component on the door -- only on the body.

At this moment and certainly not having driven the car, I'm not sure I'd recommend you go spend $200 on a set of 4... but... I did order 4 more for my GX 460 😂. That car does not feel as rigid and solid as the IS, so I am curious how they might feel in that application. The GX does have the black plastic latch covering just like my IS.

Anyway... that's all for now.

Congrats on the new car and the new mod! Like you, I've had the mod bug since I bought my IS 500 (currently around 1,300 miles on the clock). And, like you, I installed the door stabilizers - if nothing else they look better than stock, even if nobody else notices FWIW, I did a little eyeball measuring before installing the stabilizers and noted what appears to be more than a 1/16" but probably no more than 1/8" gap between the door and the sill, so I imagine these will have some benefit...how much 'some' may be I can't say.

Since you have the mod bug, I'm gonna make my reply a two-fer and offer up some unsolicited info on the Autotecknic shifter paddles, which were the only replacement (not stick-on) paddles I could find - and are my most recent mod (I just installed them tonight).

I personally don't think they're worth what Autotecknic is charging, and they require doing a bit more work than you'd expect from watching (usually RC-F) paddle swap videos since they don't come with replacement switches (or even instructions). I've attached a pic of what you get for $250 to better explain what I'm talking about. If you really want them, make sure you have the tools to deal with hollow roll pins, and don't expect any help from their support - they'll tell you to search the net for install info posted by people who've previously installed them (I couldn't find any) - even their website has no instructions. Of all the stuff on my list of things I want (or have already done), that's the only item I believe requires some forewarning.

Enjoy your new car - they're both beauty and beast in the same package!

Autotecknic IS 500 shift paddles
The following 3 users liked this post by HydrantHunter:
FLXYLXY (12-08-23), geckornr (12-06-23), Oloung1 (07-23-24)
Old 12-08-23, 03:11 PM
FLXYLXY
Pit Crew

Received 119 Likes on 36 Posts

On the front door sills where it says F Sport in brushed aliminum . It looks like mine still has plastic on it. I can see bubbles but can’t seem to get it off. Just scratch it more lol.

just the f sport area

Is this correct

Last edited by FLXYLXY; 12-08-23 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-08-23, 03:21 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FLXYLXY
On the front door sills where it says F Sport in brushed aliminum . It looks like mine still has plastic on it. I can see bubbles but can’t seem to get it off. Just scratch it more lol.

just the f sport area

Is this correct
I could be wrong but I want to say the protective plastic was blue. So stop scratching the aluminum. Haha.
Old 12-08-23, 03:25 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

just the f sport area

Is this correct
The protective plastic is clear. But if you still have it, it would have a pink tab on the end, to pull and peel it off.

If not, you're just scratching the coating.
Old 12-08-23, 03:43 PM
FLXYLXY
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by macmaster
The protective plastic is clear. But if you still have it, it would have a pink tab on the end, to pull and peel it off.

If not, you're just scratching the coating.

hmm I can see air between it on the curves. I can push it and go away .
Old 12-08-23, 03:47 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 101 Posts

just the f sport area

Is this correct

There is a clear film over that area. You will need to carefully peel the corner with your finger nail or tweezer as the edge is adherent to the FSport plate. Once the edge is lifted, the film can be peeled off. Think of it as Vinyl film that needs to be removed. It's quite adherent initially, but once edge is lifted, then it's easy; and no, there's no pink tab over that particular area. There's a pink tab for the film that covered the entire sill, however.
The following users liked this post:
FLXYLXY (12-08-23)
Old 12-08-23, 03:49 PM
FLXYLXY
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
I could be wrong but I want to say the protective plastic was blue. So stop scratching the aluminum. Haha.

g

got it finally .
Old 12-08-23, 03:52 PM
FLXYLXY
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 808c2s
There is a clear film over that area. You will need to carefully peel the corner with your finger nail or tweezer as the edge is adherent to the FSport plate. Once the edge is lifted, the film can be peeled off. Think of it as Vinyl film that needs to be removed. It's quite adherent initially, but once edge is lifted, then it's easy; and no, there's no pink tab over that particular area. There's a pink tab for the film that covered the entire sill, however.
yes ! It’s pretty strong . Asked my detail guy and I think he tried also but said F it lol.

been a little over a month now and finally got it off .
Old 12-08-23, 04:13 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 101 Posts

g

got it finally .
...now it looks proper
FLXYLXY (12-08-23)
Old 12-08-23, 05:52 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

I guess there’s 2 layers of protection. I still have both mine on. I never understand why people gladly take these off but then spend thousands on PPF. Lol.

Old 12-08-23, 05:59 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I guess there’s 2 layers of protection. I still have both mine on. I never understand why people gladly take these off but then spend thousands on PPF. Lol.

That pull tab looks stupid. Who puts PPF on the sill plates? Just remove it.
Old 12-08-23, 06:51 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Right?

Not sure i understand the rationale of leaving the plastic on a door sill, especially if it has a pull tab.
Burrcold (12-08-23)
Old 12-08-23, 07:14 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Right?

Not sure i understand the rationale of leaving the plastic on a door sill, especially if it has a pull tab.
Many people complain about getting scratches on the door sills (even in this very forum) so while you guys may think it looks stupid, I'm actually the smart one for keeping it on. No I won't take it off. Make me lol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oor-sills.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018/936694-scratched-sill-or-scuff-plates-covers-repair.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/840227-protecting-door-sills-possible.html

Last edited by macmaster; 12-08-23 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-08-23, 07:32 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Many people complain about getting scratches on the door sills (even in this very forum) so while you guys may think it looks stupid, I'm actually the smart one for keeping it on. No I won't take it off. Make me lol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oor-sills.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018/936694-scratched-sill-or-scuff-plates-covers-repair.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/840227-protecting-door-sills-possible.html
lol okay....
Old 12-08-23, 08:16 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

LOL! You guys can simply not use the door sills. I got mine illuminated, so the protective film had to be removed. (Would’ve been removed regardless.)

Quick Reply: What have you done to your IS500 today?