IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What have you done to your IS500 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 11:30 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa500
They do sound really good in person. I was quoted at $1900. I'm only about 2 hours away....but I just had a local spot cut my mufflers off for $320.
I've been thinking about going just without mufflers (everything else stock) and wondered how the drone would be inside the cabin. Not worried about it being too loud. How does it sound when on the freeway cruising ? (no drone?)
Old 07-20-23, 11:53 AM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
I've been thinking about going just without mufflers (everything else stock) and wondered how the drone would be inside the cabin. Not worried about it being too loud. How does it sound when on the freeway cruising ? (no drone?)
That's exactly what I have. I haven't done much highway driving, but I don't experience much drone if any at all. Between the exhaust and the Pedal Commander, I am always above 3k on the RPM gauge. If I don't stand on it, things are still pretty quiet.

Kinny's appears to be a very nice muffler delete (To my eyes anyway). I've got a similar sound at a fraction of the price. Then again, I'm a simple guy. I would NOT spend that kinda coin on an exhaust.

Last edited by Kappa500; 08-10-23 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-22-23, 06:05 PM
RubyV8
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa500
That's exactly what I have. I haven't done much highway driving, but I don't experience much drone if any at all. Between the exhaust and the Pedal Commander, I am always above 3k on the RPM gauge. If I don't stand on it, things are still pretty quiet.

Kinny's appears to be a very nice muffler delete (To my eyes anyway). I've got a similar sound at a fraction of the price. Then again, I'm a simple guy. I would spend that kinda coin on an exhaust.
anyone know anyone thats put these PPE headers on? See people talking the LC exhaust tone and you hear an RCF with those headers and exhaust and it’s pretty vicious. I assume prob giv3s you some HP gains too.
Old 07-22-23, 07:10 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by RubyV8
anyone know anyone thats put these PPE headers on? See people talking the LC exhaust tone and you hear an RCF with those headers and exhaust and it’s pretty vicious. I assume prob giv3s you some HP gains too.
if you go into one of the exhaust threads, one or a couple of members have installed PPE headers and there's a clip of it. One other member has a set w/ performance cats as well. you'll just have to find their posts so you can ask them their opinions and details.
Old 07-23-23, 11:28 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

So I could not take pictures of it as I was driving hard at times but on the way back from Houston I took my "fun road" with the IS 500. I took it quite a bit faster than I did in my old IS 350. Here are some pictures from when I drove it in the old 350...

The following 3 users liked this post by Bechtold:
arentz07 (07-23-23), carlosclarkmd (05-11-24), DLPTony (07-23-23)
Old 07-27-23, 02:48 PM
patsfan82
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I tried to give the IS500 one last chance to earn my love - and have made the decision to move on. A lot of this is just on personal preferences, but it mostly stems from the transmission.

The roads around me and personal preferences means that I'm not one to sit in first or second gear at 4-5000+ rpms waiting for the occasional time I can put my foot down - they are a bit too far apart for that and I can guarantee I am a far, far more responsible driver than most car enthusiasts (not a brag, more of a self-takedown because why would I buy a car like this and then not use it?). As such, I personally put a lot of importance on the ability to get a car into power as fast as possible. I come from a long history of manual transmissions where this was obviously easy - and then strictly into low-end torque turbocharged engines for every car I've had with an automatic transmission prior to this one.

The IS500 just pairs the worst of both worlds. This transmission is simultaneously the slowest/jerkiest/stupidest transmission I've experienced in a performance application and the engine, being naturally aspirated, wants to be revved out. In manual, it's about as smooth as a performance DCT at a literal fraction of the speed (glacial). In automatic - it just straight up refuses to listen to what I'm telling it with my foot in most cases. Put your foot down in a corner? Probably won't get the downshifts you want (I assume for safety reasons). It's also not particularly fast in automatic mode and I find that it just doesn't ever downshift quite enough - or, if it does, it does so only after first choosing to shift to another gear and doubling or tripling up on the already slow speed.
Old 07-27-23, 02:59 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by patsfan82
Today I tried to give the IS500 one last chance to earn my love - and have made the decision to move on. A lot of this is just on personal preferences, but it mostly stems from the transmission.

The roads around me and personal preferences means that I'm not one to sit in first or second gear at 4-5000+ rpms waiting for the occasional time I can put my foot down - they are a bit too far apart for that and I can guarantee I am a far, far more responsible driver than most car enthusiasts (not a brag, more of a self-takedown because why would I buy a car like this and then not use it?). As such, I personally put a lot of importance on the ability to get a car into power as fast as possible. I come from a long history of manual transmissions where this was obviously easy - and then strictly into low-end torque turbocharged engines for every car I've had with an automatic transmission prior to this one.

The IS500 just pairs the worst of both worlds. This transmission is simultaneously the slowest/jerkiest/stupidest transmission I've experienced in a performance application and the engine, being naturally aspirated, wants to be revved out. In manual, it's about as smooth as a performance DCT at a literal fraction of the speed (glacial). In automatic - it just straight up refuses to listen to what I'm telling it with my foot in most cases. Put your foot down in a corner? Probably won't get the downshifts you want (I assume for safety reasons). It's also not particularly fast in automatic mode and I find that it just doesn't ever downshift quite enough - or, if it does, it does so only after first choosing to shift to another gear and doubling or tripling up on the already slow speed.
I'd suggest using Sport S+ and being unafraid to mat the throttle, but sounds like you've decided what you're gonna do.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (07-28-23)
Old 07-27-23, 03:55 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by patsfan82
This car is not a mind reader. If you want instant torque just flip the left paddle a few gears down and it'll rev match - even in automatic. You just have to plan your move a few seconds in advance.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (07-28-23)
Old 07-27-23, 05:20 PM
RubyV8
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'd suggest using Sport S+ and being unafraid to mat the throttle, but sounds like you've decided what you're gonna do.
so what do you buy at the same cost that gives you the Lewks and power? I’m not ready for a Hyundai or a Kia (by the way the most stolen cars here in the DMV this past year)

M3 or Blackwing is another $25k
Old 07-27-23, 05:46 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by RubyV8
so what do you buy at the same cost that gives you the Lewks and power? I’m not ready for a Hyundai or a Kia (by the way the most stolen cars here in the DMV this past year)

M3 or Blackwing is another $25k
Honestly the M340i is the biggest competitor to the IS 500. It is better 0-60 and in terms of fuel efficiency and has a little more interior room, and it also is a bit lighter, which should help with handling. Having owned a G20 330i, I can guess that the M340i would be a great car, but I am sure it won't have the same personality as the Lexus.

You could also look at the Audi S4 or S5 Sportback, but those will be a little slower in the real world, even if the AWD gives them an edge from a dig. Despite the AWD system, they weigh just about the same as the IS 500, though. Hard to say for sure what they're like, but I kind of like them.

The M3 and the Blackwing are more track-capable, high-performance cars. Though the IS 500's V-8 feels like it could be in a similar tier of car, the rest of the car is simply not up to that level. For the money, that's fine by me.
Old 07-27-23, 07:30 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

Here are my driving notes...

The CT4-V Blackwing is the best driving of the bunch. Twin Turbo V6 has the same horsepower as the IS 500 but more torque. Why they didn't put the NA V8 under the hood I do not understand. It's a very good drivers car but the Lexus V8 spoke to me in ways the Cadillac does not. Interior is just OK, nothing special. Also the Caddy dealers near me suck so they can kiss my.... shiny infrared rear end.

M340i Turbo I6 goodness. I love that engine config as I have a Supra, but I couldn't do the Big Money Waster. The rest of the car, especially the interior is a let down. Screens everywhere! Buy More Warranty! (extended)

Audi S4. Twin turbo V6 with less horsepower and slightly less on torque but it makes the torque early and the AWD is good for a perfect launch. Good chance it beats you off the line but somewhere past 60 you will catch up / pull on it and then the Audi will see your rear end. But you will be in speeding ticket land at that point. Interior fit and finish is better than the BMW or the Cadillac.

I have not driven the new M3 but it is no question faster in every way. It's a modern BMW digital missile. Costs quite a bit more and then you have to stare at the angry mole rat face forever.

The new BMW...

The following 5 users liked this post by Bechtold:
arentz07 (07-28-23), Bo09is250 (01-08-24), DLPTony (07-28-23), Incognito23 (01-04-24), Vindahawk4 (07-31-23)
Old 07-27-23, 10:15 PM
BrianDCIS
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Thanks!

It's B O N O S S. Go to their website. Club Lexus platform does not allow the link to be pasted. I think because the name is suggestive of **** site

More info on this spacer at the website. You can then order them on eBay.
Wow, these look fantastic. Right on the limit, but amazing. I’m actually shocked this is only 10mm and it pushed them out that far. I’m a little weary of spacers on mine…also illegal in Ontario..I’m going to upgrade the rear tires to 275/35 rather than the OE 265/35, but that will only make half this amount (aesthetically) of improvement. Any rubbing issues over big dips and bumps??
Old 07-27-23, 10:30 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianDCIS
Wow, these look fantastic. Right on the limit, but amazing. I’m actually shocked this is only 10mm and it pushed them out that far. I’m a little weary of spacers on mine…also illegal in Ontario..I’m going to upgrade the rear tires to 275/35 rather than the OE 265/35, but that will only make half this amount (aesthetically) of improvement. Any rubbing issues over big dips and bumps??
Thanks! No rubbing issues whatsoever. However, I am on stock springs. It also depends on camber as well; especially with lowering springs.
Old 07-27-23, 10:57 PM
BrianDCIS
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Thanks! No rubbing issues whatsoever. However, I am on stock springs. It also depends on camber as well; especially with lowering springs.
For sure. All that comes in to play at some point. I cringe at the thought of spending $4,000-5,000 P&L on a set of adjustable coil overs 😢. Not to mention all the plug and play to get the perfect ride height. Are you aware of any decent kits available for it that are just run of the mill lowering springs not named Eibach?
Old 07-27-23, 11:31 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianDCIS
For sure. All that comes in to play at some point. I cringe at the thought of spending $4,000-5,000 P&L on a set of adjustable coil overs 😢. Not to mention all the plug and play to get the perfect ride height. Are you aware of any decent kits available for it that are just run of the mill lowering springs not named Eibach?
Swift springs are perfect for the IS500, IMO. Perfect height lowering; 1" front and .5" in the back, IIRC. Gives a nice and proper stance. I think the Eibach is a bit too low @ 1.7" all around. RSR springs are another potential, but it looks as though the rear sits lower from the pics I see on the internet.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your IS500 today?