IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Aftermarket subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-23 | 06:51 PM
SavFD3S
10th Gear

Default Aftermarket subwoofer

Anybody put a sub in their is500 with the mark levinson system? Any issues?
Old 06-01-23 | 07:47 PM
95bat
Racer

I've been looking into it, but there isn't a ton of info about how well the ML amp and processing will play with an aftermarket amp. I am sure a LOC off the sub wire will give you signal for bass, but I was trying to find a better solution unsuccessfully.
Old 06-01-23 | 09:23 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

This is going to sound weird, but the best sub placement i found was under the front seats in the floorboards. They didn't have to be super powerfull but the placement there in my old 2012 BMW 535 really made you feel the base. The ML sub is good, but it needs a second sub to be great.
Old 06-02-23 | 07:18 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
This is going to sound weird, but the best sub placement i found was under the front seats in the floorboards. They didn't have to be super powerfull but the placement there in my old 2012 BMW 535 really made you feel the base. The ML sub is good, but it needs a second sub to be great.
You probably felt the impact of midbass with speakers under your butt making it seem like they hit harder than they actually do. They use something similar in home theater. A speaker thin enough to fit under a seat isn't going to be much of a subwoofer though. They just can't displace enough air and I know BMW cant deft the laws of physics 😉 With the volume required, under the seats is not an ideal place for a sub.

I think I'd actually keep the stock appearance and put something IB in the stock location, but that is not reversible back to stock. We get a wimpy 8" sub there, I'd want to cram a 12" in there if I could.
Old 06-02-23 | 07:32 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 95bat
You probably felt the impact of midbass with speakers under your butt making it seem like they hit harder than they actually do. They use something similar in home theater. A speaker thin enough to fit under a seat isn't going to be much of a subwoofer though. They just can't displace enough air and I know BMW cant deft the laws of physics 😉 With the volume required, under the seats is not an ideal place for a sub.

I think I'd actually keep the stock appearance and put something IB in the stock location, but that is not reversible back to stock. We get a wimpy 8" sub there, I'd want to cram a 12" in there if I could.
yup totally understand what you mean about the size and location. The location being closer to the driver and bascially driving up your but crack meant you could feel it's impact better.
Old 06-02-23 | 08:41 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
yup totally understand what you mean about the size and location. The location being closer to the driver and bascially driving up your but crack meant you could feel it's impact better.
🤣🤣🤣 Well said!
Old 06-03-23 | 07:21 AM
SavFD3S
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 95bat
I've been looking into it, but there isn't a ton of info about how well the ML amp and processing will play with an aftermarket amp. I am sure a LOC off the sub wire will give you signal for bass, but I was trying to find a better solution unsuccessfully.

from what i know about other vehicles features like asc /anti road noise will result in the sub producing a low hum /bass type noise which i definitely could not tolerate. Hope to not have this. Looking to install a 12 in the trunk
Old 06-03-23 | 07:53 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by SavFD3S
from what i know about other vehicles features like asc /anti road noise will result in the sub producing a low hum /bass type noise which i definitely could not tolerate. Hope to not have this. Looking to install a 12 in the trunk
This was brought up in another thread, but I dont know if there was a definitive answer. I dont think our cars have ASC so you might not get the hum.

If I could get an IB10 to fit in the factory location with a little more power to it I would be a happy camper. I've always wanted to try an Acoustic Elegance sub, I'd go with them for sure. Second choice would probably be a BM11 from Stereo Integrity to keep the weight and size down, but giving more bump than stock.

I already have a WAF approved hidden sub system to build for our streaming music station to go with the bookshelf speakers so I better not pile on too many audio projects 😁
Old 06-25-23 | 10:12 PM
TaiTN
Rookie

Originally Posted by SavFD3S
ANC(active noise cancellation) would cause the issue not ASC. From what I been told, the car does not have ANC.