IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 09:47 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
Looking forward to you getting it resolved better with your skills and expertise.
I'm not going to waste my time. I don't even have this issue on my car. Like I said before, I agree with Frank and think this solution is acceptable. It's not the engineering you wanted, but it is still engineering. I just find it amusing how everyone's still complaining. I have to remind myself, this is the same group that cries when they get a little chip in their BBS wheels.
Old 03-08-24, 10:06 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
I'm not going to waste my time. I don't even have this issue on my car. Like I said before, I agree with Frank and think this solution is acceptable. It's not the engineering you wanted, but it is still engineering. I just find it amusing how everyone's still complaining. I have to remind myself, this is the same group that cries when they get a little chip in their BBS wheels.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-forum.html

Please let's keep this on topic and productive.
The following 3 users liked this post by arentz07:
DaveGS4 (03-09-24), DLPTony (03-08-24), Moonman89 (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 10:32 AM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ILikeBlue
I know on paper using a piece of plastic Ziptie and some epoxy sounds like a janky fix, but functionally speaking there's no reason it shouldn't work fine.

Our bumper is made up of plastic, so is the retainer. Without a complete redesign of the retainer and bumper, this is a functional fix to add more surface area to hold up the bumper tabs.

Is it ideal? No.
Is it pretty? No.
Will it hold? Most likely so.
Will take now take responsibility for it? Absolutely.

We have a super low volume car, probably less than 6,000 units sold over 3 model years. The higher ups at Lexus genuinely have better things to do and other cars that make them more profit. The fact that they even answered the phone for us, let alone take the time to complete a real repair and own up to the mistake, is honestly way more than anyone could've bargained for.

Most manufacturers in this situation would've told us to kick rocks because this isn't a safety concern. They did something, it's functional, and I'm sure it'll suffice for 95% of owners with zero issues.

The other 5% can install turnbuckles I'm sure.
This is definitely janky as all get out. The problem is that super glue and zip ties almost assuredly won't last 20 years or more with changing humidity and temps, plus people bumping into the corner and/or sitting on the corner (like some people do), etc., etc., etc. This is not a permanent fix, it's a kludge - and it's worrisome that, in lacking a proper fix, the defective design may continue being used for any possible future model years and Lexus may continue relying on this kludge to 'address' the issue.

While the IS 500 is almost assuredly a low-volume model, doesn't it share these parts with the IS 350 (which is much higher volume in comparison)? If that's the case, then the need for a proper fix is even more critical.

As for engineering cost and time - a more durable piece could be designed that serves the place of the zip ties and a kit could be produced for not much more than the cost that's already been sunk into this kludge considering the only real difference between what's been offered and designing proper pieces to replace the zip tie pieces would take an engineer minutes at most. They already have the necessary dimensions having figured this out with the zip ties, so it's not like there's a need for much (if any) trial and error testing in designing a more robust piece.

Lexus is a brand that is built upon various concepts, one of which is the idea of quality in craftsmanship and construction. This fix betrays those concepts on every level - I find it difficult to believe that this 'fix' is actually what Lexus chose to be, and act as, a reflection of their commitment to quality.

Hopefully this turns out to be a joke or, if not, Lexus realizes the wrong turn they've made with this low-quality kludge.
The following 3 users liked this post by HydrantHunter:
bbong (03-11-24), ljerr2 (03-08-24), TipsyTonio (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 11:19 AM
ILikeBlue
Pit Crew

Received 227 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cyfi66
IDK, I am an engineer and I just can't get behind the justification on this. I don't have an IS500 but I'd be happy to support a fix for this from an aftermarket perspective if I get the chance (don't have access to a car with this issue).

Toyota pioneered Kaizen and part of that is poka-yoke which is the idea of making an assembly process mistake proof. There is nothing poka-yoked about this fix and leaves a lot of room for human error, using the wrong type of glue, forgetting the primer etc. Even if the fix was 100% functionally acceptable which I don't think it is the likelihood of a tech doing it wrong is very high. It's really sad that whatever processes they have in place for TSB's has allowed this to make it all the way through.
I also considered before the conversation with Lexus started making my own fix for it using some modified OEM clips and maybe carbon fiber shims, I just didn't bother continuing because I wanted Lexus to handle things. I'll see how the repairs goes for people and if it's deemed to not be a sufficient fix, I'll probably do some engineering of my own

Originally Posted by ljerr2
I couldn't agree more. That's why I'm still struggling to believe this is even real
Originally Posted by cyfi66
Yeah that is definitely possible this is fake.
Originally Posted by Longwaldo
It would be great if it was fake, unfortunately I dont think it is.
Originally Posted by HydrantHunter
This is definitely janky as all get out.

Hopefully this turns out to be a joke or, if not, Lexus realizes the wrong turn they've made with this low-quality kludge.
I got the document number directly from my QA contact at Lexus and got the PDF sent directly to me from someone else internal at Lexus, it's real.
The following 6 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
DLPTony (03-08-24), HydrantHunter (03-08-24), LexLight (03-09-24), ljerr2 (03-08-24), Longwaldo (03-08-24), wthrman2 (03-08-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-08-24, 11:22 AM
ILikeBlue
Pit Crew

Received 227 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
I'm curious how new cars coming off the assembly line are being addressed. Will they perform this fix before installing the new bumpers? Will they install modified bumpers and modified retainers with the fix already incorporated? Or will everything be business as usual and only address the problem when it crops up on new cars?
​​​​​​I don't think they'll do this fix on the line because then they'd have to change the bumper part number, they'll probably handle it as a case by case basis on cars that's come in. But I know this is something that will be notes for future cars. With the lifecycle of the IS500 most likely coming to a close at the end of 2024, odds are we'll never see any changes if they happen. But there's nothing that says they won't redesign upgrades retainer clips or something like that in the future for us. This is just the current fix

Last edited by ILikeBlue; 03-12-24 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-08-24, 12:14 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 398 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ILikeBlue
​​​​​​I don't think they'll do this fix on the line because then they'd have to xhange the bumpwr part number, they'll probably handle it as a case by case basis on cars that's come in. But I know this is something that will be notes for future cars. With the lifecycle of the IS500 most likely coming to a close at the end of 2024, odds are we'll never see any changes if they happen. But there's nothing that says they won't redesign upgrades retainer clips or something like that in the future for us. This is just the current fix
That's important to know because I've heard of many on the fence waiting on a fix before they pull the trigger on a new IS 500. Then again it would be nice to know what percentage of IS 500 owners are dealing with bumper separation right now. Guess we could start a poll ...?
The following users liked this post:
ljerr2 (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 12:22 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Ilikeblue...i know everyone is not happy but i personally wanted to thank you for your efforts. I know my situation is minor and will hold off as its very mild in my situation but at least we have something from Lexus. It doesnt give me the confidence it will be a forever fix but its something.

The following 7 users liked this post by wthrman2:
bbong (03-11-24), HydrantHunter (03-08-24), ILikeBlue (03-12-24), jsch222 (03-09-24), LexLight (03-09-24), ljerr2 (03-08-24), Longwaldo (03-08-24) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-08-24, 12:31 PM
ljerr2
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
That's important to know because I've heard of many on the fence waiting on a fix before they pull the trigger on a new IS 500. Then again it would be nice to know what percentage of IS 500 owners are dealing with bumper separation right now. Guess we could start a poll ...?
I'm in that camp. I have owned a couple IS350s now and was looking to move into an IS500 but I'm on that fence and given this less than impressive TSB, I am going to keep sitting on that fence for a while longer. If I get a 500, it will be driven at times like it was intended to be driven and if that increases the risk of bumper sag (as I've read on this forum) then my chances of experiencing the sag are pretty high. That's a bummer.
Old 03-08-24, 12:33 PM
ljerr2
Driver

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Ilikeblue...i know everyone is not happy but i personally wanted to thank you for your efforts. I know my situation is minor and will hold off as its very mild in my situation but at least we have something from Lexus. It doesnt give me the confidence it will be a forever fix but its something.
I'll second that! Thanks for the efforts on getting to this point - which is at least an acknowledgement of the issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by ljerr2:
Longwaldo (03-08-24), wthrman2 (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 01:54 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Thank you, ILikeBlue and everyone else involved in getting a fix. I remember prior to this I talked to my service advisor about the potential of this happening and he was convinced people were scraping their front end on the curbs or parking blocks. So at least we know they will take responsibility now. This fix, while not optimal, I also feel is sufficient. While I hope they may have an even better fix in the future, I'm not gonna let it ruin my enjoyment of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Renault:
Carolina50 (03-08-24), jsch222 (03-09-24)
Old 03-09-24, 11:02 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 991 Likes on 475 Posts

My question is, as someone who has this issue to a lesser extent than most, is it mandatory? I'd rather not get it when my gapping is minimal, since the solution is not all that appealing
Old 03-09-24, 11:12 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai
My question is, as someone who has this issue to a lesser extent than most, is it mandatory? I'd rather not get it when my gapping is minimal, since the solution is not all that appealing
A TSB is not mandatory, The dealer offering to fix it for free may expire however at some point in the future when out of warranty
The following users liked this post:
Kanpai (03-09-24)
Old 03-09-24, 11:17 AM
ljerr2
Driver

Originally Posted by Kanpai
If it were me, I'd wait a bit unless I was approaching the warranty period noted in the TSB. Even then, I'd have to think about it, too. Some seem to show the sag a lot more than others. I'm not sure why that is unless it is possibly related to how hard the car is driven, which induces stress and/or flex?
Old 03-09-24, 11:25 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

^^^^I'd say it would be related to assembly. Nothing is perfect and some would be assembled with better tolerances than others
Old 03-09-24, 11:36 AM
ljerr2
Driver

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^I'd say it would be related to assembly. Nothing is perfect and some would be assembled with better tolerances than others
I would think if assembly was the issue, then we wouldn't need this TSB and the fix would just be readjustment or something similar.

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection