IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 12:17 PM
LexLight
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts

That's it, I'm done with the brand once they kill the 2UR GSE there's no point in buying a Lexus anymore with this sort of efforts for their customers.
It was on my mind that Automobile industy is imploding itself with EV / Hybrid and all computerized nonsense, which is why I bought my IS 500 but then again about this bumper issue, I read the entire thread of Felix / Sirlion thread and even read his whole analysis. I thought it might be a factory defect for some models as the CEL issues for 2022 MY IS 500, but once I started seeing it after buying I realized what kind of mistake I did this is indeed a chassis design problem which requires some significant effort but this is Toyota world's #1 company so was expecting some fix, but I did not expect such pathetic TSB.

Well, Toyota is failing hard. Look at the Toyota recalls - All of these in the most recent time 2023/2024, This is a sign of how the company is faltering. And god knows how the newer IForceMax / Hybrid nonsense will hold up. They do not build like they did anymore, not even on the Lexus.

More than 380,000 Toyota Tacoma pickups recalled because axles could loosen
Toyota recalls 280,000 vehicles because they may ‘creep forward’ in neutral
Toyota recalls 751,000 Highlanders for potentially loose front bumpers
A Million Toyota, Lexus Cars Recalled because Airbag Could Fail to Deploy
Toyota Recalls Certain 2023 Toyota Mirai, and Certain 2023-2024 Lexus LS, LC and ES

Then you have 2023+ Lexus RX having the front dashboard separation problem.

Now that during this ownership period after reading reports since a year+ and entire Motorfrontier article and now I'm sure that guy is 100% accurate. There's no possible fix without them redesigning the bumper bracket OR adding bracing, needs a lot of R&D and money they do not want to put a ton of money on an archaic IS chassis "10 year old Kaizen" so they simply brushing it away, Also fact is IS 350 exhibits this as well. What about them ? They are going to ask for this absolutely horrible TSB, which is glue-ing the bumper parts ?

I was even thinking how Lexus may screw up because of the chassis integrity so I was thinking about buying an RC F too, but guess what ? Lexus downgraded the RC F as well, they added the Touchscreen which we have on the IS 500 meaning the RC F AC vents which were rectangular on the L and R are gone to the IS style but that's not the thing, the major issues are - Lexus Memory setting is gone no more seat / steering memory the worst was the removal of Chassis bracing. They actually deleted the chassis bracing which had High tensile steel rods connecting Shock towers and the firewall. I even mentioned it on the RC F forum too. No idea how that car will hold up now. Only LC is the car that is left on the Lexus with bracing, even the latest BMW 5 series got bracing that too shame on Lexus.

What options do I even have now, after 50K miles expired warranty of this TSB esp with my driving which is very low miles per year the bumper will still eventually fall apart due to multitude of reasons - Chassis Flex due to high weight NA V8 and the spirited driving, potholes, High heat (remember how the reports were from CA, TX, AZ, FL ?) glue is not going to hold this. Period. Lame fix for a 68-70K car in 2024. The shamelessness of Toyota Motor Corp is insane, the BRZ mentioned in the Motorfrontier got a metal clip for the sag issue but for the IS 500 they have a glue and epoxy, that too only applicable of the sag is appearing.

What a shame. Really massive disappointment in this.

If they are going for a 2025 MY, I really doubt they are going to fix. They will just update the TSB to that year. RC F homologation will end in 2026 so the end of 2UR-GSE is very near.

Last edited by LexLight; 03-09-24 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 02:05 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 165 Posts

This fix makes it seem like it's not so much a problem with the bumper sagging as it is with the bumper being lifted and causing the clips to pop out. The spacer (cut plastic tie) that is supposed to be installed is to provide more tension on the clips so they don't pop out.
Old 03-09-24, 04:12 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,762 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
Now that during this ownership period after reading reports since a year+ and entire Motorfrontier article and now I'm sure that guy is 100% accurate. There's no possible fix without them redesigning the bumper bracket OR adding bracing, needs a lot of R&D and money they do not want to put a ton of money on an archaic IS chassis "10 year old Kaizen" so they simply brushing it away, Also fact is IS 350 exhibits this as well. What about them ? They are going to ask for this absolutely horrible TSB, which is glue-ing the bumper parts ?
It's not gluing bumper parts. It's gluing a zip-tie over the tab to put more downward pressure on it.

Respectfully, I think Motorfrontier's article is jumping to a conclusion. He takes some data points from crash test results and the fact that the steel used in some rails in the engine bay was "downgraded" and hypothesizes that the lack of rigidity is to blame for the bumper separation issues.

If this was the case, how come some very low-mileage IS 500s had this issue when they'd barely been driven, yet others with well over 10,000 miles do not exhibit the problem? I believe @DLPTony 's car is well into the 20,000's now and does not have any front bumper issues, for example, and I know from personal experience that it has been through the twisty bits a few times. Also, my very own IS 500, in spite of having had body work done, driving on crappy Atlanta I-285 several times, and also being driven spiritedly, does not have the issue at 10,000 miles. What gives?

Well, maybe the answer is down to simple manufacturing variances in the parts that make up the bumper cover. If all it takes to remedy the issue is a slight adjustment to the tab, then I don't think we need to read into it any more than that.
The following 3 users liked this post by arentz07:
DLPTony (03-10-24), Kanpai (03-09-24), wthrman2 (03-11-24)
Old 03-09-24, 04:29 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 978 Likes on 467 Posts

That's it, I'm done with the brand once they kill the 2UR GSE there's no point in buying a Lexus anymore with this sort of efforts for their customers.
It was on my mind that Automobile industy is imploding itself with EV / Hybrid and all computerized nonsense, which is why I bought my IS 500 but then again about this bumper issue, I read the entire thread of Felix / Sirlion thread and even read his whole analysis. I thought it might be a factory defect for some models as the CEL issues for 2022 MY IS 500, but once I started seeing it after buying I realized what kind of mistake I did this is indeed a chassis design problem which requires some significant effort but this is Toyota world's #1 company so was expecting some fix, but I did not expect such pathetic TSB.

Well, Toyota is failing hard. Look at the Toyota recalls - All of these in the most recent time 2023/2024, This is a sign of how the company is faltering. And god knows how the newer IForceMax / Hybrid nonsense will hold up. They do not build like they did anymore, not even on the Lexus.

More than 380,000 Toyota Tacoma pickups recalled because axles could loosen
Toyota recalls 280,000 vehicles because they may ‘creep forward’ in neutral
Toyota recalls 751,000 Highlanders for potentially loose front bumpers
A Million Toyota, Lexus Cars Recalled because Airbag Could Fail to Deploy
Toyota Recalls Certain 2023 Toyota Mirai, and Certain 2023-2024 Lexus LS, LC and ES

Then you have 2023+ Lexus RX having the front dashboard separation problem.

I was even thinking how Lexus may screw up because of the chassis integrity so I was thinking about buying an RC F too, but guess what ? Lexus downgraded the RC F as well, they added the Touchscreen which we have on the IS 500 meaning the RC F AC vents which were rectangular on the L and R are gone to the IS style but that's not the thing, the major issues are - Lexus Memory setting is gone no more seat / steering memory the worst was the removal of Chassis bracing. They actually deleted the chassis bracing which had High tensile steel rods connecting Shock towers and the firewall. I even mentioned it on the RC F forum too. No idea how that car will hold up now. Only LC is the car that is left on the Lexus with bracing, even the latest BMW 5 series got bracing that too shame on Lexus.

What options do I even have now, after 50K miles expired warranty of this TSB esp with my driving which is very low miles per year the bumper will still eventually fall apart due to multitude of reasons - Chassis Flex due to high weight NA V8 and the spirited driving, potholes, High heat (remember how the reports were from CA, TX, AZ, FL ?) glue is not going to hold this. Period. Lame fix for a 68-70K car in 2024. The shamelessness of Toyota Motor Corp is insane, the BRZ mentioned in the Motorfrontier got a metal clip for the sag issue but for the IS 500 they have a glue and epoxy, that too only applicable of the sag is appearing.

What a shame. Really massive disappointment in this.

If they are going for a 2025 MY, I really doubt they are going to fix. They will just update the TSB to that year. RC F homologation will end in 2026 so the end of 2UR-GSE is very near.
You're going to listen to the guy who had to create two accounts to push his personal blogs? Ain't that big of a deal, guy
The following users liked this post:
jororo (03-09-24)
Old 03-09-24, 05:32 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 165 Posts

At the end of the day a fix is a fix. The real test will be on those that have the issue and whether this actually fixes it. I wouldn’t care if an an engineer decided a cat turd between the clip and the retainer would do the trick as long as it works.
The following 3 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
arentz07 (03-09-24), ILikeBlue (03-12-24), wthrman2 (03-11-24)
Old 03-09-24, 06:30 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Having owned two IS500s, my take is the bumper sag only separates just enough to be noticeable when pointed out. Not like strangers in parking lots are pointing and laughing.

My first IS500 received a fix and it held well. Haven’t even bothered to get the fix on my current IS500 as isn’t worth making a 4-5 mile drive to the local dealership just for that.

For what it’s worth the issue seems to pop up after spirited and/or longer fast drives on hot days. Both mine started after 3+ hour highway drives on 90+ degree days.

Big picture - the bumper sag is very much not a big deal whatsoever, but the collective ‘outrage’ is more an indicator of the level of quality one expects when they purchase a Lexus versus what they’ll happily put up with when owning another brand.
Old 03-09-24, 06:47 PM
LexLight
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
It's not gluing bumper parts. It's gluing a zip-tie over the tab to put more downward pressure on it.

Respectfully, I think Motorfrontier's article is jumping to a conclusion. He takes some data points from crash test results and the fact that the steel used in some rails in the engine bay was "downgraded" and hypothesizes that the lack of rigidity is to blame for the bumper separation issues.

If this was the case, how come some very low-mileage IS 500s had this issue when they'd barely been driven, yet others with well over 10,000 miles do not exhibit the problem? I believe @DLPTony 's car is well into the 20,000's now and does not have any front bumper issues, for example, and I know from personal experience that it has been through the twisty bits a few times. Also, my very own IS 500, in spite of having had body work done, driving on crappy Atlanta I-285 several times, and also being driven spiritedly, does not have the issue at 10,000 miles. What gives?

Well, maybe the answer is down to simple manufacturing variances in the parts that make up the bumper cover. If all it takes to remedy the issue is a slight adjustment to the tab, then I don't think we need to read into it any more than that.
About that guy, I honestly do not know what his intent was. But the dude was on dot on how the driver side experiences more flex, TSB states explicitly on the driver side as well.
"Some 2022 – 2024 model year IS 500 vehicles may exhibit a left front (driver’s side) front bumper popped out near the fender and headlight area. Follow the Repair Procedure in this bulletin to address this condition".

Why does it not happen on the passenger side or TSB does not state any information either it's just that here's a fix for the bumper coming off, this is a design flaw from what I can gather, the blog may not be accurate but some points do clearly line up on the current status of the TSB and IS 500 esp when I'm not a car engineer, some insights are given by that blog.

Check the LC 500 chassis here, Lexus clearly states how they have improved the structural rigidity on the car. Also the picture says a lot about it as well. They added a ton of rigidity, same for RC F which uses GS F front end with reinforcements.
https://mag.lexus.co.uk/chassis-lexus-lc-500/

"Other measures in this area include the optional carbon fibre roof, aluminium door skins mounted on a carbon fibre inner door structure and a composite boot floor. The LC 500 also represents Lexus’s most intensive use yet of high-strength steel, providing higher rigidity while reducing – and ideally positioning – vehicle mass to optimise dynamic performance. The result is a very balanced car with a near-ideal 52/48 front/rear weight distribution.To achieve the targeted chassis performance, Lexus engineered the stiffest monocoque it has ever produced. Strategic use of lightweight, high-strength steel helps realise a high degree of torsional rigidity, with greater resistance to twisting forces than the carbon fibre-intensive LFA supercar."

Plus the IS 350 also has the problem, they simply abandoned that car. Owners of the IS 350 experiencing the same are SOL, copying the link from his blog directly (I also read multiple posts myself here too but I don't have them bookmarked) - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11578085

Tony's car has slight gap from what I can recall from a picture he posted, but not severe sag.

Building a car with V8 is not new to Toyota and esp Lexus their first LS was having a V8 that was certified for Flight use. And in 2024 Lexus saying here this is the fix with glue now experience the amazing chassis dynamics on a 70K car also building an LC 500 with that above press kit is really unfair. Bought the car to drive me into next 15 years and in the first 3 years itself the bumper is falling apart and fix is a glue ... Taking consumers for granted, extremely horrible handling of the issue at hand esp how Lexus / Toyota reliability that often comes up on literally every single YT reviewer.
Old 03-10-24, 01:57 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

About that guy, I honestly do not know what his intent was. But the dude was on dot on how the driver side experiences more flex, TSB states explicitly on the driver side as well.
"Some 2022 – 2024 model year IS 500 vehicles may exhibit a left front (driver’s side) front bumper popped out near the fender and headlight area. Follow the Repair Procedure in this bulletin to address this condition".

Why does it not happen on the passenger side or TSB does not state any information either it's just that here's a fix for the bumper coming off, this is a design flaw from what I can gather, the blog may not be accurate but some points do clearly line up on the current status of the TSB and IS 500 esp when I'm not a car engineer, some insights are given by that blog.

Check the LC 500 chassis here, Lexus clearly states how they have improved the structural rigidity on the car. Also the picture says a lot about it as well. They added a ton of rigidity, same for RC F which uses GS F front end with reinforcements.
https://mag.lexus.co.uk/chassis-lexus-lc-500/

"Other measures in this area include the optional carbon fibre roof, aluminium door skins mounted on a carbon fibre inner door structure and a composite boot floor. The LC 500 also represents Lexus’s most intensive use yet of high-strength steel, providing higher rigidity while reducing – and ideally positioning – vehicle mass to optimise dynamic performance. The result is a very balanced car with a near-ideal 52/48 front/rear weight distribution.To achieve the targeted chassis performance, Lexus engineered the stiffest monocoque it has ever produced. Strategic use of lightweight, high-strength steel helps realise a high degree of torsional rigidity, with greater resistance to twisting forces than the carbon fibre-intensive LFA supercar."

Plus the IS 350 also has the problem, they simply abandoned that car. Owners of the IS 350 experiencing the same are SOL, copying the link from his blog directly (I also read multiple posts myself here too but I don't have them bookmarked) - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11578085

Tony's car has slight gap from what I can recall from a picture he posted, but not severe sag.

Building a car with V8 is not new to Toyota and esp Lexus their first LS was having a V8 that was certified for Flight use. And in 2024 Lexus saying here this is the fix with glue now experience the amazing chassis dynamics on a 70K car also building an LC 500 with that above press kit is really unfair. Bought the car to drive me into next 15 years and in the first 3 years itself the bumper is falling apart and fix is a glue ... Taking consumers for granted, extremely horrible handling of the issue at hand esp how Lexus / Toyota reliability that often comes up on literally every single YT reviewer.
Parts bin car does parts bin car things and gets a parts bin fix. This, in the end, is a mostly cosmetic defect and is getting treated as such. They're not going to throw in tens of thousands of dollars for a fix on a car that they basically threw together for something so minor. This isn't an axle falling off that they're fixing with glue, it's some bumper clips. Calm down.
The following users liked this post:
Benibiker1558 (03-10-24)
Old 03-10-24, 04:56 PM
LexLight
Driver

Originally Posted by Kanpai
Parts bin car does parts bin car things and gets a parts bin fix. This, in the end, is a mostly cosmetic defect and is getting treated as such. They're not going to throw in tens of thousands of dollars for a fix on a car that they basically threw together for something so minor. This isn't an axle falling off that they're fixing with glue, it's some bumper clips. Calm down.
Thousands of Dollars for a 400 Billion USD marketcap company that made about $256 billion for 2023 FY in revenue, sounds about 100% right to let this slide under the rug since IS 500 is a parts bin car which is okay to get a glue fix, but what about IS 350, I think that is not a parts bin what's the excuse for that, not even having any TSB whatsoever all the poor lads who bought it are forced to accept that bumper will sag eventually.

Toyota sold total of 21,000+ (2021), 21,000+ (2022), 20K+ (2023) IS sedan cars in US alone, that is 60K+ vehicles in the sales for 3 years consecutively I wonder how much money they made off and could not develop a fix for this 3IS sedan bumper sag defect.

If it's so minor then why do even have this thread or how Frank worked hard on his PR to get it communicated to Lexus / Toyota, the FB group folks who voiced their concern and many are on the fence to purchase one, on top maybe some even sold off their cars after seeing their $72K car bumper sagging off unlike say a 2003 V6 Camry with 200,000 miles on the odo which does not exhibit even after all these years (personal experience as I used to have one). Sorry, this is not a minor issue esp when as a customer I spend thousands of dollars of my hard worked money to have such a cosmetic defect and then fixing with glue, epoxy, zip-tie by the company themselves.
Old 03-10-24, 05:14 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Thousands of Dollars for a 400 Billion USD marketcap company that made about $256 billion for 2023 FY in revenue, sounds about 100% right to let this slide under the rug since IS 500 is a parts bin car which is okay to get a glue fix, but what about IS 350, I think that is not a parts bin what's the excuse for that, not even having any TSB whatsoever all the poor lads who bought it are forced to accept that bumper will sag eventually.

Toyota sold total of 21,000+ (2021), 21,000+ (2022), 20K+ (2023) IS sedan cars in US alone, that is 60K+ vehicles in the sales for 3 years consecutively I wonder how much money they made off and could not develop a fix for this 3IS sedan bumper sag defect.

If it's so minor then why do even have this thread or how Frank worked hard on his PR to get it communicated to Lexus / Toyota, the FB group folks who voiced their concern and many are on the fence to purchase one, on top maybe some even sold off their cars after seeing their $72K car bumper sagging off unlike say a 2003 V6 Camry with 200,000 miles on the odo which does not exhibit even after all these years (personal experience as I used to have one). Sorry, this is not a minor issue esp when as a customer I spend thousands of dollars of my hard worked money to have such a cosmetic defect and then fixing with glue, epoxy, zip-tie by the company themselves.
You could have just stopped at your first sentence. It's a company whose sole purpose is to make a profit. The solution sucks, hence why I already said I rather not do it if I don't need it, but what are we going to do? It was a problem on the RX over a decade ago as well, so obviously it's not something new that that prioritize
Old 03-10-24, 05:30 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,831 Posts

If it ain’t broke… 😎

The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Benibiker1558 (03-11-24), wthrman2 (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 05:36 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
At the end of the day a fix is a fix. The real test will be on those that have the issue and whether this actually fixes it. I wouldn’t care if an an engineer decided a cat turd between the clip and the retainer would do the trick as long as it works.
This 2000%!!! To me, a fix is a fix and like Benibiker says, as long as it holds/works, then I don't care what they use to make it work. It would be different if they placed duct tape outside the bumper. I just want to see the folks that have a more serious issue get the TSB and see if it actually holds, that will be the true test. Now mine has a very very minor gap and no one would notice but I do because I know what to look for so I am not gonna do anything about yet except document the issue with teh dealer (already done with pics that they took) and watch this thread for updates from users that had the TSB done in case mine gets worse with time.
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Benibiker1558 (03-11-24), ILikeBlue (03-12-24), Kanpai (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 07:14 AM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
This 2000%!!! To me, a fix is a fix and like Benibiker says, as long as it holds/works, then I don't care what they use to make it work. It would be different if they placed duct tape outside the bumper. I just want to see the folks that have a more serious issue get the TSB and see if it actually holds, that will be the true test. Now mine has a very very minor gap and no one would notice but I do because I know what to look for so I am not gonna do anything about yet except document the issue with teh dealer (already done with pics that they took) and watch this thread for updates from users that had the TSB done in case mine gets worse with time.
So there is a difference in quality between super glue and duct tape for a Lexus TSB to secure your bumper? You’re ok with Lexus using super glue rather than duct tape? To me, both are shady and a cheap fix coming from a Luxury car manufacturer.

Sorry I don’t mean to specifically harsh on you but I think people just accept mediocrity (I wouldn’t even give this fix that level). My main gripe is super glue doesn’t last. With pressure on the glue from the sag with shifting temperatures and environmental effects, it’s going to start to get brittle and break, maybe just a few years?

It’s a band-aid fix to just get you out of your warranty period, then you’ll have to keep removing your bumper and putting on super glue if you keep your car.

It’s such a simple design fix on a small plastic part for a permanent solution. It’s essentially the same minus a thicker retainer bracket. It could even be a 1 off part for people with bumper sag. Or even a small custom bracket around the zip tie…But nope, take your luxury $70k car with bumper sagging, here are some zip ties and super glue. Shame on them. Shame.
Old 03-11-24, 07:48 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

^^ What I was trying to say was that IF (key word here) this TSB does work and resolves the issue, then I am OK with it because it will be something that will not be visible to the naked eye. Of course I would rather have a more permanent solution or even better yet, to not have this issue in the first place. If they go the route of changing the clip, how would the new clip be fastened to the bumper? I am not a car expert here so I may be ignorant or missing something but that is why I am asking how would they fasten the new revised clip? I certainly don't want a new bumper with the reinforced clip and then have a bumper painted locally. I guess I would need to see how this retainer bracket looks like and how its fastened to the original bumper to better understand. That being said, I agree with you, if this doesn't last, then I am not a fan of going down this route either as I just don't like the idea of my bumper being disassembled in the first place and why I am trying to hold off as long as I can for this TSB
Old 03-11-24, 08:14 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ What I was trying to say was that IF (key word here) this TSB does work and resolves the issue, then I am OK with it because it will be something that will not be visible to the naked eye. Of course I would rather have a more permanent solution or even better yet, to not have this issue in the first place. If they go the route of changing the clip, how would the new clip be fastened to the bumper? I am not a car expert here so I may be ignorant or missing something but that is why I am asking how would they fasten the new revised clip? I certainly don't want a new bumper with the reinforced clip and then have a bumper painted locally. I guess I would need to see how this retainer bracket looks like and how its fastened to the original bumper to better understand. That being said, I agree with you, if this doesn't last, then I am not a fan of going down this route either as I just don't like the idea of my bumper being disassembled in the first place and why I am trying to hold off as long as I can for this TSB
I'm in your boat as holding out as long as possible as well. While people here will complain about the simplicity of this "fix", it still went through an engineering process, which people don't seem to get. Of course a company is going to go the cheapest route to solve a problem. I assume everyone upset at this fix replaces a whole section of drywall when they remove a nail from a wall, as that's the only way to make it right
The following 2 users liked this post by Kanpai:
ICEforever (03-11-24), wthrman2 (03-11-24)

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection