IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 05:16 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 222 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ljerr2
OK - not trying to stir the pot here, but let's say I can get comfortable with the proposed fix. I have a couple honest questions for those with the requisite knowledge and experience.........because I haven't been in there to actually see the construction/assembly.
Is it possible that with the shimming that the gap between the bumper and fender could cause other issues down the road?
Possibility of the bumper cover now rubbing the fender and a potential to lead to noise or paint rub?
Too much stress on the bumper bracket?
Due to tightness, any future bumper cover removal necessitating replacement because a tab(s) will likely be torn when tugged out?
So the issue is they need to make the bumper still removable. These modifications fit within the same guise as what's already going on with the retainer and bumper, which are two plastic clips coming together.

What they're doing is bonding the 1mm thick zip to the top bumper retainer to act as the lower lip, and the glue a ridge on the underside of the bumper as the upper lip. There's already clips on the bumper retainer and a lip/material to grab onto on the bumper itself.

They also added two drops of panel bond on top of the Ziptie for insurance, which I don't believe would prevent the bumper from being removed.

This purely mechanical connection is what will provide the extra support needed to keep the bumper on place, in theory. We'll find out as people get the fix.
The following 3 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
flowrider (03-13-24), Kanpai (03-13-24), wthrman2 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 05:23 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ Thanks for the more "easy to understand" explanation of the TSB's objective....This helps me visualize it a bit better now
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 07:49 PM
Daeyx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, that’s quite some jank… haven’t gotten my car yet snd now I am paranoid. Any home solutions invented to fix this problem without having to remove the whole bumper and have zip ties glued to it?

Having not owning my car yet, how hard is it to pull off the retaining clips and doing something like this at home?

Last edited by Daeyx; 03-13-24 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 03:08 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 981 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Daeyx
Well, that’s quite some jank… haven’t gotten my car yet snd now I am paranoid. Any home solutions invented to fix this problem without having to remove the whole bumper and have zip ties glued to it?

Having not owning my car yet, how hard is it to pull off the retaining clips and doing something like this at home?
Lol I can't even anymore. I give up
The following 2 users liked this post by Kanpai:
DLPTony (03-14-24), wthrman2 (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 03:34 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Any home solutions invented to fix this problem without having to remove the whole bumper and have zip ties glued to it?
One of the members posted a separate thread meticulously detailing his at-home remedy. This was posted a few months back, but it’s in the 500 forums.

It’ll be cool:

1. The issue doesn’t affect all 500s.
2. If it does happen, it’s gradual. By that time we will know how well the TSB has held up.
3. There have been NO reports of the bumper falling off, it’s just a cosmetic eyesore.

Get your car, be amazed by its amazingness, and drive the live’n fk out of it! 😎

Originally Posted by Kanpai
Lol I can't even anymore. I give up
::chuckling:: Because you’re an old guard and have had a front row seat to this madness. Two years of reading possible causes, to Lexus not acknowledging the issue, to finally getting the TSB….we’ve been through the wringer! (Not to mention the simultaneous gasket and fuel pump issues!) 💪🏽😎

To the soon-to-be owners, the car is rock solid and finally we have a fix for all 3 major issues.

Get the car and have fun! These issues are but a blip in the road to thousands and thousands of Smiles Per Miles and long term ownership satisfaction.
The following 3 users liked this post by DLPTony:
cyfi66 (03-14-24), Kanpai (03-14-24), wthrman2 (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 07:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Personally, I would just wait and see if you even have the issue. Multiple owners have well over 10k miles and no sign of the issue, so it probably doesn't affect all cars, or at least, not equally.
ILikeBlue (03-15-24)
Old 03-15-24, 10:16 AM
Daeyx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Personally, I would just wait and see if you even have the issue. Multiple owners have well over 10k miles and no sign of the issue, so it probably doesn't affect all cars, or at least, not equally.
Indeed, that is what I will be doing at this point. Thanks again.
Old 03-19-24, 07:18 AM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

Spoke with Lexus corporate customer service this morning. There is still no bulletin.
Old 03-19-24, 07:23 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 222 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHorns
Spoke with Lexus corporate customer service this morning. There is still no bulletin.
I was told it's in the system. They would have to have a technician search by the number, which is LSB0010-24
GoHorns (03-19-24)
Old 03-19-24, 07:27 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHorns
I posted the Bulletin in this tread already. Lexus are just useless in general in knowing anything about our car.
Benibiker1558 (03-19-24)
Old 03-19-24, 01:51 PM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ILikeBlue
I was told it's in the system. They would have to have a technician search by the number, which is LSB0010-24
Thanks! Appreciate it
Old 03-20-24, 07:33 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

LSB going down on my launch edition right now.
wthrman2 (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 07:36 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Awesome - I will be anxious to see here how it went so keep us posted - I know you have a good "in" with the dealer (lol) but I know that your info will help put a lot of us at ease...if you can have them take some pics as they go along, that would be great but I know its hard to do for them
Old 03-20-24, 07:47 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Awesome - I will be anxious to see here how it went so keep us posted - I know you have a good "in" with the dealer (lol) but I know that your info will help put a lot of us at ease...if you can have them take some pics as they go along, that would be great but I know its hard to do for them
yeah I’ll take some pics as they’re doing it if I can. We’re supposed to be pretty busy today.
wthrman2 (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 08:04 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

That would be great, I know you are going to be busy and would never want to have you be neglecting your day job but you have a unique "inside scoop" that few of us have and this will help all of us see the LSB in its glory

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection