IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 01:57 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,999 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
You guys should just sell the car and get a BMW m340i instead. Much better car in every way. The V8 and "ooooh its the last V8" is way overplayed.
…and leave us two knuckleheads with ours? That’s a little too exclusive. 😜
Old 03-26-24, 02:03 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

The LSB modifies both the left and right side right? Let's hope they didn't induce a problem on the right side as well. That's one reason if wouldn't get it done right now if it looks like it doesn't work. Now you might have the issue on both sides going forward !
Old 03-26-24, 02:07 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 255 Likes on 95 Posts

You guys should just sell the car and get a BMW m340i instead. Much better car in every way. The V8 and "ooooh its the last V8" is way overplayed.
B58 doesn't really have much character compared to the 2UR-GSE. It's a great engine in every way (power delivery, MPG, reliability, basically zero turbo lag) but very "flat" compared to the revvy, vocal nature of the 2UR-GSE.

Also BMW interiors don't hold up particularly well around and beyond the 40k mark - rattles, creaks, wear spots, etc.

Not sure why you'd tell everyone on an IS 500 forum to go buy an M340i when we probably all considered that and made this choice anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by geckornr:
Benibiker1558 (03-26-24), Moonman89 (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 02:15 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by geckornr
B58 doesn't really have much character compared to the 2UR-GSE. It's a great engine in every way (power delivery, MPG, reliability, basically zero turbo lag) but very "flat" compared to the revvy, vocal nature of the 2UR-GSE.

Also BMW interiors don't hold up particularly well around and beyond the 40k mark - rattles, creaks, wear spots, etc.

Not sure why you'd tell everyone on an IS 500 forum to go buy an M340i when we probably all considered that and made this choice anyway.
I'm the opposite. I've always been a Lexus fan and never considered anything else. Lexus interiors don't hold up that well either. The nuluxe seats crease like nobody's business and ever seen the wear and tear on the Lexus leather steering wheels, yes even at 40k miles. Also my IS500 has had rattles since day 1. Build quality just isn't what it used to be.

Seriously considering jumping ship.
Old 03-26-24, 02:16 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 255 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm the opposite. I've always been a Lexus fan and never considered anything else. Lexus interiors don't hold up that well either. The nuluxe seats crease like nobody's business and ever seen the wear and tear on the Lexus leather steering wheels, yes even at 40k miles. Also my IS500 has had rattles since day 1. Build quality just isn't what it used to be.

Life is short and the M340i is a great car. If you're curious, I say do it!
The following users liked this post:
Kanpai (03-27-24)
Old 03-26-24, 02:20 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geckornr
Do not listen to him, he’s just trying to needle y’all. He’d rather be the only 500 owner…with a PPF. (Yeah I said it, don’t think for one second he hasn’t gotten it done.) 😈
The following 3 users liked this post by DLPTony:
arentz07 (03-26-24), Kanpai (03-27-24), macmaster (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 02:31 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Ah ok. Yea maybe the zip tie/adhesive solution wasn't the best.

Btw, I did confirm Boeing engineers were contacted by Toyota for this fix.
You beat me to it with the Boeing comment lmao. Fortunately we aren’t quite at Boeing level yet. Nobody has had their bumper fall off…. Yet…. 🤣
Old 03-26-24, 02:31 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Do not listen to him, he’s just trying to needle y’all. He’d rather be the only 500 owner…with a PPF. (Yeah I said it, don’t think for one second he hasn’t gotten it done.) 😈
LOL. You know me pretty well. Unfortunately I'm being pretty serious this time. My friend got a 2024 m340i couple weeks ago and I've been watching a lot of m340i review videos to keep up with him. Man, nothing but straight up positive reviews for that car. The only negative thing I came across was Savagegeese saying it lacks character, but what does that even really mean? And does it matter? On the IS500 and all its reviews, its always major compromises - the worst being the terrible transmission, etc. At the end of the day the V8 is overrated. Yeah the growl is cool. It's a neat party trick. But the amount of time the engine spends "growling" pales in comparison to the time you'll notice the handling or quickness in a BMW. The only positive thing IS500 reviewers had to say was that it has "Lexus reliability" and that's basically a farce today, as evidenced by this entire thread, so you can't even hang your hat on that anymore.

My friend is visiting me soon and I'm hoping to test out his car. If it's really that much better it's bye bye IS500.
Old 03-26-24, 02:57 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Okay okay…if the Bimmer truly speaks to you and the 500 is sold, I won’t talk bad about you.

Much. 😁😜
arentz07 (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 03:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,810 Likes on 1,932 Posts

LOL. You know me pretty well. Unfortunately I'm being pretty serious this time. My friend got a 2024 m340i couple weeks ago and I've been watching a lot of m340i review videos to keep up with him. Man, nothing but straight up positive reviews for that car. The only negative thing I came across was Savagegeese saying it lacks character, but what does that even really mean? And does it matter? On the IS500 and all its reviews, its always major compromises - the worst being the terrible transmission, etc. At the end of the day the V8 is overrated. Yeah the growl is cool. It's a neat party trick. But the amount of time the engine spends "growling" pales in comparison to the time you'll notice the handling or quickness in a BMW. The only positive thing IS500 reviewers had to say was that it has "Lexus reliability" and that's basically a farce today, as evidenced by this entire thread, so you can't even hang your hat on that anymore.

My friend is visiting me soon and I'm hoping to test out his car. If it's really that much better it's bye bye IS500.
To be honest, I wouldn't blame anyone for getting an M340i to replace their IS 500 if they had the bumper issues. Clearly the cars serve the same overall purpose, and one of them does not have front bumper issues.

However, I'd say that I would personally try to work out the issues exhaustively before I sold/traded it.
DLPTony (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 03:17 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

As someone who owned a 3 series and not a particular brand loyalist. Actually... I never would have considered a Lexus other than the 500 or a used GSF...

I feel that the m340 is in a weird spot. If I were to ever get another BMW it would be an M3 or M4 (when I'd be able to afford it.) The pre LCI G20 3 series imo has the best exterior in class. But the interior felt cheap to the touch compared to my older 3 series and the IS interior. For all the additional sportiness it seems to lack character and comfort, it seems like the 340 is more for bragging rights that it's a faster sportier car, but very few people are going to utilize that power and manueverability, and the people who are going to make use of it bought an M3, M2, M4.

Edit: I would also understand if people jump ship, maybe I'm lucky that I didn't have CEL, fuel pump issues, or the separation so I've only had good vibes this whole time with the car
The following 3 users liked this post by Renault:
arentz07 (03-26-24), DLPTony (03-26-24), geckornr (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 03:33 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Renault
Edit: I would also understand if people jump ship, maybe I'm lucky that I didn't have CEL, fuel pump issues, or the separation so I've only had good vibes this whole time with the car
Same, thank goodness. Even if I had the issues, I’d stick it out though. I don’t know about other areas, but in Atlanta, the 330s & 340s are sooo pedestrian. Almost taxi cab level. ::shudder::

I want something with style, looks great, sounds great and quick. 😎
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
geckornr (03-26-24), Renault (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 03:49 PM
ILikeBlue
Pit Crew

Received 227 Likes on 73 Posts

If you want to trial an M340i, check out the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience. They let you autocross an M340i or M440i for free for a few sessions. Those cars truly are a blast to drive and worth every penny. The only reason I didn't buy one is because I wanted V8 noises.

They're absolute animals of cars, especially the Xdrive ones.

Originally Posted by Pittsy

Annnndddd we’re sagging already. Worse than it was before the LSB.

So, Frank! We need to start a list of people with bumper sep that have had the LSB performed and bumper sep came back! Put me at the top!

Gonna reach out to our FTS probably.
I'll start keeping tracking of what I see and maybe make another list. But we need to keep bringing the cars back in and make a stink about it. We don't get another proper fix unless we make noise. The TSB is the method of communication, we just have to keep ringing the bell.

Originally Posted by Kanpai
So I'm not getting it at my next service, got it lol
Yyou should get it done. Let them do it and if it fails, bring it back. It's a pain in the butt but what has to be done.

Originally Posted by LH1
Btw, I did confirm Boeing engineers were contacted by Toyota for this fix.
😅

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I wish there was a way to physically rivet/attach the 2 pieces together...i know they need to keep the parts detachable but there must be something that can be done other than glue and zip ties.

You would think they woukd have had a chance to test it significantly lrior to making this bulletins available.
Supposedly this was vetted on multiple Lexus employee cars. But we'll see how they respond.

Originally Posted by Renault

Haha, jokes aside. Thanks again for all the work you guys here on the forums are doing for the rest of us.
I tried to do what I can and Lexus did take responsibility, which is a huge part of this. How they respond to the failures will be important.

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
The LSB modifies both the left and right side right? Let's hope they didn't induce a problem on the right side as well. That's one reason if wouldn't get it done right now if it looks like it doesn't work. Now you might have the issue on both sides going forward !
Should be left and right sides yes
Old 03-26-24, 03:53 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
To be honest, I wouldn't blame anyone for getting an M340i to replace their IS 500 if they had the bumper issues. Clearly the cars serve the same overall purpose, and one of them does not have front bumper issues.
No, but the early G20s had a sidewall arch recall and a water pump recall. So I'm pretty sure things like this happen all the time with this class of car. What matters is how they deal with it, hopefully since this TSB didn't do it's job we will get an actual fix. We shall see, if nothing else how's the turnbuckle working can we get a report on that from the forum member who did that?

Edit: or was it a bracket? My memory is failing me these days. Now I'm confused, I just remember someone did a home fix before.

Last edited by Renault; 03-26-24 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-26-24, 05:37 PM
Daeyx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet long term this is going to evolve to a community fix. Will be watching snd hoping someone with far more talent then myself engineers a good solution.

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection