IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 06:18 PM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 221 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Daeyx
I bet long term this is going to evolve to a community fix. Will be watching snd hoping someone with far more talent then myself engineers a good solution.
Using a turnbuckle seem to be a good solution. @Answer has used one with good success. It's also the least invasive in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
ljerr2 (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 06:21 PM
ljerr2
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ILikeBlue
Using a turnbuckle seem to be a good solution. @Answer has used one with good success. It's also the least invasive in my opinion.
I like the solution as it seems robust, adjustable and reversible. It would be nice if it "looked a little more OEM" in my opinion. If someone can "commercialize" a fix for buyers to get a "kit" it would probably be welcomed by the ownership community!
Old 03-26-24, 06:22 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 832 Likes on 404 Posts

yep, since it was added, bumper hasn't moved a bit, still lined up as it should
The following 2 users liked this post by Answer:
DLPTony (03-27-24), wthrman2 (03-28-24)
Old 03-26-24, 06:54 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 248 Likes on 93 Posts

Toyota and Lexus have built many cars over the years with sagging bumper issues, there have been plenty of complaints from owners, and corporate has almost never done a thing about it. Bumper separation and sag has been reported in 4Runner, Highlander, GX, RX, RAV4, Tacoma, Sienna and now our IS. And those are only the ones I knew about personally. My first GX 460 and both of my 5th gen 4Runners had bumper gap/separation that I pointed out to the dealer many times. They shrugged it off.

Toyota and Lexus tend to act concerned and humor customers, and then say, “Oh sorry, there’s nothing we can do.” “It is operating as designed.” “This happens sometimes.” Ultimately, they have gotten off in every one of those scenarios and I’m not aware of them ever issuing a solid remedy that addressed customer concerns.

I really hope the IS situation is different but I do have low expectations considering their history with this issue.
The following 5 users liked this post by geckornr:
arentz07 (03-26-24), bbong (03-27-24), DLPTony (03-27-24), HydrantHunter (03-28-24), Kanpai (03-27-24)
Old 03-26-24, 07:08 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,762 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Renault
As someone who owned a 3 series and not a particular brand loyalist. Actually... I never would have considered a Lexus other than the 500 or a used GSF...

I feel that the m340 is in a weird spot. If I were to ever get another BMW it would be an M3 or M4 (when I'd be able to afford it.) The pre LCI G20 3 series imo has the best exterior in class. But the interior felt cheap to the touch compared to my older 3 series and the IS interior. For all the additional sportiness it seems to lack character and comfort, it seems like the 340 is more for bragging rights that it's a faster sportier car, but very few people are going to utilize that power and manueverability, and the people who are going to make use of it bought an M3, M2, M4.

Edit: I would also understand if people jump ship, maybe I'm lucky that I didn't have CEL, fuel pump issues, or the separation so I've only had good vibes this whole time with the car
My wife's last car was a G20 330i M Sport, so I am pretty familiar with it. I think what makes me even give it a chance is the chassis. That car, even though it was "just" a 330i, felt super planted and confident. Now, it did take me some time to get used to the steering, as it was a variable gear ratio steering system that felt far different to me and also was vague. But, once you come to grips with it, it is fun to chuck into some turns. So, I'm thinking... add the B58, and we have a good car on our hands. However, it does come with some BMW-isms, like fake sound pumped into the car that can't be defeated (in the case of LCI cars, it CAN, but at the expense of the exterior exhaust sound - they should not be connected IMO), aggressively-calibrated start-stop, and a weirdly touchy brake pedal that makes it nearly impossible to stop smoothly. But, overall, these feel like nitpicks. It is a good car.

Now, do I prefer it over the IS 500, at least, the mental image I can conjure up by smashing our old 330i together with an X3 M40i I drove? I don't think so. The IS is super chill, but I think it just wakes up more when you ask it to get up and go. It's like having two different cars. And yet, it somehow fits - it isn't like Lexus faked anything or digitally augmented the driving experience in a noticeable way, like what you would get in a modern BMW. Sure, there are things I love about the G20 3-series - the cabin looks fantastic and feels premium, and it feels like a rigid, thoroughly modern car to drive. But, it also can feel a bit like BMW is compensating for something... what with the faux engine sound, the flashy ambient lighting and giant screens, and the exaggerated exterior style (e.g., the silly amount of dark plastic on the rear bumper). Is that worse than having an oUtDaTeD car like the IS? That's up for debate!

Anyway, bumpers, or something... (Clearly I have thought about this a lot, since I was actually considering the M340i for a while.)

It is sad to read what @geckornr wrote about this happening prior - it seems that maybe Lexus are taking it more seriously this time, but then again, maybe not, based on how the fix is performing.
Old 03-26-24, 07:24 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 278 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
!

Anyway, bumpers, or something... (Clearly I have thought about this a lot, since I was actually considering the M340i for a while.)
Same, it was a hard decision for me but ultimately the 500 won out. I often suggest the m340 to most people who ask about which car in this segment to buy, but for my purposes I really like what the 500 had to offer. It's like how I use Android but tell anyone who asks me just to get an IPhone.
Old 03-26-24, 07:38 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 300 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
LOL. You know me pretty well. Unfortunately I'm being pretty serious this time. My friend got a 2024 m340i couple weeks ago and I've been watching a lot of m340i review videos to keep up with him. Man, nothing but straight up positive reviews for that car. The only negative thing I came across was Savagegeese saying it lacks character, but what does that even really mean? And does it matter? On the IS500 and all its reviews, its always major compromises - the worst being the terrible transmission, etc. At the end of the day the V8 is overrated. Yeah the growl is cool. It's a neat party trick. But the amount of time the engine spends "growling" pales in comparison to the time you'll notice the handling or quickness in a BMW. The only positive thing IS500 reviewers had to say was that it has "Lexus reliability" and that's basically a farce today, as evidenced by this entire thread, so you can't even hang your hat on that anymore.

My friend is visiting me soon and I'm hoping to test out his car. If it's really that much better it's bye bye IS500.
Character is the main reason I like gas cars at all. Its really the defining difference between ICE cars and EV's in my opinion. I think you are seriously minimizing how important it is. Just my opinion though definitely to each their own!
The following 3 users liked this post by cyfi66:
DLPTony (03-27-24), geckornr (03-26-24), Kanpai (03-27-24)
Old 03-26-24, 08:01 PM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by ljerr2
I like the solution as it seems robust, adjustable and reversible. It would be nice if it "looked a little more OEM" in my opinion. If someone can "commercialize" a fix for buyers to get a "kit" it would probably be welcomed by the ownership community!
Don't get your hopes up too much, but I did just order some components to see what I can figure out. Give me a few weeks and I'll see what I come up with
The following 3 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
HydrantHunter (03-28-24), Kanpai (03-27-24), ljerr2 (03-27-24)
Old 03-26-24, 08:38 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 300 Likes on 109 Posts

Don't get your hopes up too much, but I did just order some components to see what I can figure out. Give me a few weeks and I'll see what I come up with
What ideas did you have? I just bought the drivers side bracket so I could prototype some ideas. My initial thought is a block that fits into the bracket under the clip to apply more upward pressure on the bumper cover right under the clip. But I don't have an IS500 and I am just going based off the pictures I've seen so far.
ljerr2 (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 03:09 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by cyfi66
What ideas did you have? I just bought the drivers side bracket so I could prototype some ideas. My initial thought is a block that fits into the bracket under the clip to apply more upward pressure on the bumper cover right under the clip. But I don't have an IS500 and I am just going based off the pictures I've seen so far.
I just bought a couple different turn buckle style things that almost look to be plug and play to what we need. I'll update more once I get some time to poke around with them
The following 4 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
arentz07 (03-27-24), Kanpai (03-27-24), ljerr2 (03-27-24), wthrman2 (03-28-24)
Old 03-27-24, 04:36 AM
ljerr2
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought a couple different turn buckle style things that almost look to be plug and play to what we need. I'll update more once I get some time to poke around with them
Man, that's awesome. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!!
Old 03-28-24, 07:21 AM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
My wife's last car was a G20 330i M Sport, so I am pretty familiar with it. I think what makes me even give it a chance is the chassis. That car, even though it was "just" a 330i, felt super planted and confident. Now, it did take me some time to get used to the steering, as it was a variable gear ratio steering system that felt far different to me and also was vague. But, once you come to grips with it, it is fun to chuck into some turns. So, I'm thinking... add the B58, and we have a good car on our hands. However, it does come with some BMW-isms, like fake sound pumped into the car that can't be defeated (in the case of LCI cars, it CAN, but at the expense of the exterior exhaust sound - they should not be connected IMO), aggressively-calibrated start-stop, and a weirdly touchy brake pedal that makes it nearly impossible to stop smoothly. But, overall, these feel like nitpicks. It is a good car.

Now, do I prefer it over the IS 500, at least, the mental image I can conjure up by smashing our old 330i together with an X3 M40i I drove? I don't think so. The IS is super chill, but I think it just wakes up more when you ask it to get up and go. It's like having two different cars. And yet, it somehow fits - it isn't like Lexus faked anything or digitally augmented the driving experience in a noticeable way, like what you would get in a modern BMW. Sure, there are things I love about the G20 3-series - the cabin looks fantastic and feels premium, and it feels like a rigid, thoroughly modern car to drive. But, it also can feel a bit like BMW is compensating for something... what with the faux engine sound, the flashy ambient lighting and giant screens, and the exaggerated exterior style (e.g., the silly amount of dark plastic on the rear bumper). Is that worse than having an oUtDaTeD car like the IS? That's up for debate!

It is sad to read what @geckornr wrote about this happening prior - it seems that maybe Lexus are taking it more seriously this time, but then again, maybe not, based on how the fix is performing.
I know I'm going a bit off topic, but I thought you could code that out with an app like bimmercode? I'm pretty sure I did it on one my various loaner 330i's I would get whenever one of our Bimmers were in the shop! 🤣
Old 03-28-24, 07:28 AM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
LOL. You know me pretty well. Unfortunately I'm being pretty serious this time. My friend got a 2024 m340i couple weeks ago and I've been watching a lot of m340i review videos to keep up with him. Man, nothing but straight up positive reviews for that car. The only negative thing I came across was Savagegeese saying it lacks character, but what does that even really mean? And does it matter? On the IS500 and all its reviews, its always major compromises - the worst being the terrible transmission, etc. At the end of the day the V8 is overrated. Yeah the growl is cool. It's a neat party trick. But the amount of time the engine spends "growling" pales in comparison to the time you'll notice the handling or quickness in a BMW. The only positive thing IS500 reviewers had to say was that it has "Lexus reliability" and that's basically a farce today, as evidenced by this entire thread, so you can't even hang your hat on that anymore.

My friend is visiting me soon and I'm hoping to test out his car. If it's really that much better it's bye bye IS500.
Have you ever experienced long term BMW ownership?We've had 6 of them and would never own them again out of warranty. Our E46/E90's treated us pretty well into six figure mileage, but our G30 540i and our G05 X5 have been pretty bad outside warranty. I would gladly trade a sagging bumper for any of our recent maladies.

540i : AC Evaporator repair $7000+. whole dash has to be removed, Oil Filter housing leak $2000 - intake manifold that has the water intercooler removed so it's a crap ton of hoses and wires. I DIY a bit but those 2 were too much. Wife's X5 oil pump went out over $2000 to fix. Now BMW put out a TSB that they put the wrong transfer case oil in their 2019 xDrive G series vehicles, normally it's easy to drain/refill the transfer case to prevent another $5000+ repair, but BMW decided to put a transmission supporting crossmember in the way of the fill bolt so you either pay the dealership $500 to change the oil OR you have to buy a $300+ jack adapter so you can hold the transmission up without breaking its plastic oil pan. If you're going to lease and dump I would recommend BMW wholeheartedly, but I'm an old school 48 year old that wants to drive an ICE for the next 10+ years (don't want a hybrid - pretty sure the next IS is going to be hybrid only for the high performance models, look what they did to the RX and LS, can't stand appliance boring electrics and you can't hide that they weigh over 1000lbs more than other cars, also seeing how BMW has absolutely ruined the 5 series with the G60 and the 3 series is next on the chopping block) and after being burned heavily by BMW recently, the IS500 fits the bill.

Last edited by G30540i; 03-28-24 at 07:35 AM.
geckornr (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 07:45 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

To be honest, I was holding out on the Service Bulletin before doing anything but given its outcome, I may have to go pay a visit to Answer and see how he did his fix and then be able to apply it to mine if the separation gets worse. It is pretty annoying we have to take care of this issue ourselves but as they say, no one looks after oneself as ourself.

Mine is not bad at the moment and I would not require to go through the turnbuckle route quite yet but I will keep that in my back pocket for when/if the situation gets worse as obviously Lexus is not able to provide us with an effective fix (at least for now). To make matters worse, I am 99.9% sure that Lexus Canada would not even apply the service Bulletin stating that Lexus USA and Lexus Canada are 2 separate entities and there is NO WAY Lexus Canada would invest time and money to address the bumper separation on the 50 IS 500 they sold since 2022 (lol)
DLPTony (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 07:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,762 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by G30540i
I know I'm going a bit off topic, but I thought you could code that out with an app like bimmercode? I'm pretty sure I did it on one my various loaner 330i's I would get whenever one of our Bimmers were in the shop! 🤣
Ah yes, I would love to buy a car which also requires me to pay more money for an app that I have to install on my phone to customize a feature that should be customizable with a button or infotainment option. Yes, more cars like that, please.

But to answer your question, yeah.

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection