IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 09:43 AM
gcmak
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
gcmak - Thanks for the information. It is upsetting/frustrating that something as simple as expecting body panels to hold in place, I mean what is that guy (Dave) who talks about how amazing the quality of Japanese built vehicles are and walks around with his "gap meter" - Sheesh
I think the QC/assembly of these cars and the general design/engineering behind making sure parts fit well together are great.
How well these parts fit together over time is an engineering issue (likely influenced by cost).
A bit unrelated, some euro cars I've worked on, a lot of parts are very tight fitting and often break if you need to take them apart (even with the correct tools and training) but they won't sag...though they may really creak/squeak since they don't flex/move at all...lol
Old 06-06-23, 09:48 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

There's no question the left side is different from the right side. Mine appears the same way. The question is, is it getting worse? And if not, would you be ok with it staying this way (forever)? I would and I am. This is why I say I technically don't have it. It's not sagging it's just a little separation, and it's not the same degree as some other people's who are actually sagging.
The following users liked this post:
gcmak (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 09:54 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wthrman2
gcmak - Thanks for the information. It is upsetting/frustrating that something as simple as expecting body panels to hold in place, I mean what is that guy (Dave) who talks about how amazing the quality of Japanese built vehicles are and walks around with his "gap meter" - Sheesh
Oh you mean this guy LOL. Yeah he bought a IS500 and sold it a few months later. I finally lost all respect for him when he got a free trip to Vietnam to peddle VinFast.

Last edited by macmaster; 06-06-23 at 09:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
PM22 (01-02-24), wthrman2 (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 10:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,727 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Well, here's mine at 2700 miles. I normally drive pretty conservatively, but I just got back from a mountain road run with some very spirited driving in there, including hitting some corners. Anyone seeing anything? I don't.

wthrman2 (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 10:12 AM
gcmak
Driver

Originally Posted by macmaster
There's no question the left side is different from the right side. Mine appears the same way. The question is, is it getting worse? And if not, would you be ok with it staying this way (forever)? I would and I am. This is why I say I technically don't have it. It's not sagging it's just a little separation, and it's not the same degree as some other people's who are actually sagging.
Mine got worse over a month. The photo isn't the worst of it actually. Personally, unless there's action from Lexus (as a result of the valiant efforts of others) I won't really be doing anything about it...cause again, this will take a bigger fix than just a replacement bumper with the same design. I would also accept a fix where they could do something to reinforce the existing bumper tabs...but without me having to put something together myself.
Old 06-06-23, 10:16 AM
gcmak
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, here's mine at 2700 miles. I normally drive pretty conservatively, but I just got back from a mountain road run with some very spirited driving in there, including hitting some corners. Anyone seeing anything? I don't.
It's looking fine and if the gap is even with the passenger side then great.
As I mentioned, there's some unknown % - likely the same as the 22' - where the cars will be OK.
Mine appeared shortly after a hard day of driving at autocross and a hot day too. If I make it to a Lexus Performance School event, I'll inspect their IS500s...haha.
Old 06-06-23, 10:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by gcmak
It's looking fine and if the gap is even with the passenger side then great.
As I mentioned, there's some unknown % - likely the same as the 22' - where the cars will be OK.
Mine appeared shortly after a hard day of driving at autocross and a hot day too. If I make it to a Lexus Performance School event, I'll inspect their IS500s...haha.
Haha good point. I did not take a look at the ones we drove at LPDS.

Maybe if I do a few more hot-weather mountain runs it'll start happening.

I wonder if automatic car washes also can trigger the issue? I would venture to think they'd put more pressure on the bumper than a gentle hand wash. My IS 500 has never been to any automatic sort of car wash and never will.
Old 06-06-23, 10:26 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Haha good point. I did not take a look at the ones we drove at LPDS.

Maybe if I do a few more hot-weather mountain runs it'll start happening.

I wonder if automatic car washes also can trigger the issue? I would venture to think they'd put more pressure on the bumper than a gentle hand wash. My IS 500 has never been to any automatic sort of car wash and never will.
I'm pretty sure nobody with an IS500 goes through automatic car washes.
Like GC said it's gotta be a random % of cars.
LASTV8IS (06-16-24)
Old 06-06-23, 10:29 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

arentz - yours seems fine to me but keep an eye on it and I think you will see that the one on the passenger side is likely a bit less/tighter. Mine has a slightly larger gap than yours but not by much and hasn't expanded further.
Old 06-06-23, 11:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars

You'd be surprised...

On my IS 350, I did my best but sometimes caved and went to automatic washes. For the most part, I did hand-wash it, but I had moments of weakness especially in winter.

On this car, no more! If it's cold, the worst I'll do is a touchless wash - but even then, they use pretty harsh chemicals. It would have to be a rare thing.

Just because someone is on a FB page for a car, that doesn't mean they care for it in the best way possible.
Old 06-06-23, 09:35 PM
trippleB
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Same issue happened on the 2023...

So Lexus either did not bother to fix it, or whatever they have tried did not work.
Old 06-07-23, 12:15 PM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tapjoy
I didn’t have any bumper separation on my ‘22. However, after a ****ty hit and run, my car suffered a front bumper hit and I got mine replaced. It was done at the same shop my Lexus dealer uses for all their collision repairs… however, when I got the car back and drove it around a bit, the dreaded bumper sag started happening on the driver side. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow to see if they can fix it or if the whole thing has to be replaced…
Well, I took it in today. They looked at it. Took the wheel panel off to expose the screws/clips. They took them off, inspected em and put it all back together again. It seemed ok but just after driving it for a little bit (not even hard driving) it started to sag again. He said if it did, he’d order another new clip for it. So it’s possible it was my old clip, that suffered some issues as a result of the damage from the hit and run. Or, it was an older clip used. Maybe the 23 clip will fix it. Idk… He did say it was a new bumper regardless so 🤷🏽‍♂️.
gcmak (06-07-23)
Old 06-07-23, 12:56 PM
gcmak
Driver

Originally Posted by tapjoy
Well, I took it in today. They looked at it. Took the wheel panel off to expose the screws/clips. They took them off, inspected em and put it all back together again. It seemed ok but just after driving it for a little bit (not even hard driving) it started to sag again. He said if it did, he’d order another new clip for it. So it’s possible it was my old clip, that suffered some issues as a result of the damage from the hit and run. Or, it was an older clip used. Maybe the 23 clip will fix it. Idk… He did say it was a new bumper regardless so 🤷🏽‍♂️.
Maybe report back but it'll likely be months later after the replacement if you see an issue again.
What they did is similar to me lifting up and pushing the bumper back together. Holds while the car is parked, but after you drive it, or go over a small bump, its back out again.
Old 06-07-23, 01:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by gcmak
Maybe report back but it'll likely be months later after the replacement if you see an issue again.
What they did is similar to me lifting up and pushing the bumper back together. Holds while the car is parked, but after you drive it, or go over a small bump, its back out again.
To be honest, I don't know why they would think simply shoving it back into place is good enough. If there's nothing to hold it there, it won't take much for the bumper to fall down again.

On affected cars, something needs to be done, even if it means holding it on with Elmer's glue. I do hope Lexus publicly acknowledges the issue at some point. "We messed up, but we're willing to make it right" will look a lot better than denying the issue and blaming owners.
wthrman2 (07-17-23)
Old 06-07-23, 02:43 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Mine goes through the meat grinder once, sometimes twice a week. Benefit #3 of the PPF treatment and constant detailing.

I hit 15K miles today and thankfully Blu is still an issues virgin. (Gaskets, Fuel pump, Apron Separation, etc.) I check every day about the apron issue though. I hope Lexus fixes this madness. 😞

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection