IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 01:30 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

^^ Thanks for sharing your experience. I think you are the only i have heard having a slight gap on the passenger side ... i know mine is really tight so i will not attempt to do that side and stick to the driver side.

I hope more people who ordered and installed these will keep reporting their positive stories. mine will get done for sure, i am just debating if i want to tackle it myself or use someone who has a bit more experience with this. I will report once mine is done for sure...
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
DLPTony (05-14-24), HydrantHunter (05-15-24)
Old 05-13-24, 01:31 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 300 Likes on 109 Posts

Did you have a chance to try the blue or red blocks? I experienced the same thing on the passenger side and the blue and red block options were intended to address situations where its too tight of a fit like that. EDIT: I see you did try it. Will have to brainstorm it for a bit.

Last edited by cyfi66; 05-13-24 at 01:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cyfi66:
DLPTony (05-14-24), HydrantHunter (05-15-24)
Old 05-13-24, 01:38 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cyfi66
Did you have a chance to try the blue or red blocks? I experienced the same thing on the passenger side and the blue and red block options were intended to address situations where it’s too tight of a fit like that.
Yeah, I forgot to mention originally that I did try them all. It wouldn’t even fit without any of the blocks installed, oddly enough. Edit: That is to say, I don't think the problem was at all with the blocks, since the tab on my bracket didn't even look right
Old 05-13-24, 06:01 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty good. Not perfect but I think me trying the official Lexus fix first damaged the holder a bit.

Before

After

I feel something isn’t going in the last pic.

Last edited by GoPDemon; 05-14-24 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-13-24, 07:13 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Looks like it isn't clipped in all the way. First just try pushing it in harder. Make sure you pull up on the bumper from the bottom while you push it in.

Then I think you should try the blue and then red blocks to see if that helps. If not take a look at the JB weld behind the bumper cover shown in this post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11701938
​​​​​​
Might have to Dremel the JB weld away that they put on when they did the TSB.
Old 05-14-24, 04:28 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Well…..mine is headed down this path as well 12,500 miles Passenger side is nice and tight. Super disappointed in Lexus’ response.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 12:27 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cyfi66
Looks like it isn't clipped in all the way. First just try pushing it in harder. Make sure you pull up on the bumper from the bottom while you push it in.

Then I think you should try the blue and then red blocks to see if that helps. If not take a look at the JB weld behind the bumper cover shown in this post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11701938
​​​​​​
Might have to Dremel the JB weld away that they put on when they did the TSB.
Oh I never did the JB weld part. I did redo it, muscled in the front and heard a click this time. Looks perfect now.
Couldn't really ask for a better fix.

The following 4 users liked this post by GoPDemon:
cyfi66 (05-14-24), HydrantHunter (05-15-24), ljerr2 (05-18-24), wthrman2 (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 12:42 PM
ICEforever
Driver

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

^^^Wow that looks really good. Congrats!
wthrman2 (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 01:17 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by jsch222
Well…..mine is headed down this path as well 12,500 miles Passenger side is nice and tight. Super disappointed in Lexus’ response.
This is not it. BTW u have really weird PPF.
Old 05-14-24, 04:21 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jsch222
The camera angle makes it questionable but I believe you're right, the separation may be starting. If you're a little mechanically inclined, I would try the block fix or at the very least get it because it seems you'll need it pretty quickly. Don't do the Lexus TSB because as others have shown, it'll just make it worse.
The following 3 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
HydrantHunter (05-15-24), Oloung1 (05-29-24), wthrman2 (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24, 03:09 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
This is not it. BTW u have really weird PPF.
LOL! Some things you just don’t say in mixed company.
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
HydrantHunter (05-16-24), macmaster (05-15-24)
Old 05-18-24, 07:06 AM
LexLight
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wfibear
So I bought and installed these as well; originally I was picking them up for safe keeping, but on my car the fender/bumper gap on both driver and passenger (!!) had slowly opened up a couple of mm or so, so I decided to install them anyway, half for further prevention and half because tiny stuff like that bothers me to no end

Driver’s side block went in fine and looked great. Passenger was where I discovered something strange. I didn’t notice it at first when popping the bumper clips out, but after putting the block in, I couldn’t really get the bumper tab to click into place. Took the block back out and tried pushing it into place without it and it still wouldn’t click. I even tried the medium and loose blocks, same issue. Shined a light in the panel gap with the bumper fully installed and the tab on the bumper was not engaging the tab on the bracket, but sitting underneath it and pushing against it such that the top of the bracket was bowing upwards toward the fender. It didn’t seem to matter how hard I pushed on the bumper, it would not engage. Upon further inspection, I found that both the bracket and bumper tabs were a little deformed (the bracket moreso, looking squished, the bumper tab had a slight lip on it that the tab closer to the wheelwell does not have). I am not sure if it was not installed correctly at the factory and the 8000 miles I have on the car gave the bracket tab time to become deformed (it was squished slightly) or if it simply released like the driver’s side does for many people and sat in that spot long enough to deform it; guess we’ll never know. I tried to fix the tabs a little bit but ultimately I ended up sticking a credit card in between the fender and the bracket to put some pressure on the bracket to keep it from bowing toward the fender when reinstalling the bumper, and with some extra but reasonable force I was finally able to get the tabs to engage each other such that the top of the bracket no longer bowed upward, however there was not much of an audible click I suppose due to the bracket tab being a bit deformed. It looks perfect now, but I guess time will tell whether I need to buy a new bracket or not. Hopefully the extra support and tension of the support block makes that moot.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm glad that there's a community fix for this issue at-least. Instead of the company abandoning the $70K premium Luxury sedan with the TSB that destroys the bumper further.

But since this is looking like a problem which will eventually hit due to deterioration and cause irreparable damage to the bumper (bracket can be replaced not a biggie). So to other folks and @cyfi66 who created the fix, can we apply this fix right out of the dealership (new owners of 2024 IS 500) or apply it ASAP (existing owners who do not see the issue atm) to stop the bumper tabs getting broken/deformed ? I remember reading a post a while back on someone mentioning how the fix can handle the stress and etc.

It's a problem that every IS 500 will face eventually due to the design of the clips. So can we apply the preventative measure on both sides ? Thanks.

Last edited by LexLight; 05-18-24 at 07:17 AM.
wfibear (05-19-24)
Old 05-18-24, 10:40 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm glad that there's a community fix for this issue at-least. Instead of the company abandoning the $70K premium Luxury sedan with the TSB that destroys the bumper further.

But since this is looking like a problem which will eventually hit due to deterioration and cause irreparable damage to the bumper (bracket can be replaced not a biggie). So to other folks and @cyfi66 who created the fix, can we apply this fix right out of the dealership (new owners of 2024 IS 500) or apply it ASAP (existing owners who do not see the issue atm) to stop the bumper tabs getting broken/deformed ? I remember reading a post a while back on someone mentioning how the fix can handle the stress and etc.

It's a problem that every IS 500 will face eventually due to the design of the clips. So can we apply the preventative measure on both sides ? Thanks.
You would think Lexus would design a fix into the new models coming out, say a small inexpensive plastic block that fits in the bracket, but I guess that's asking a bit too much. They got their hands tied with exploding Toyota engines or whatnot. Poor Lexus, "Experience Amazing".
LexLight (05-18-24)
Old 05-18-24, 11:13 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexLight

You can but personally I wouldn't bother unless it's actually separating. I feel it's always better to leave stuff untouched unless you have to.

Think of it like an interior trim panel, it's just better if you don't remove it if you don't need to. If you remove and install it you could break a clip, cause a rattle, break the trim etc. It's different but the same idea.

You won't do any damage to the tabs by leaving them alone even if it ends up separating. That's why I also recommend only installing the passenger side if it actually needs it. That being said you can definitely install it preventatively if you want to with little risk of damaging anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by cyfi66:
Benibiker1558 (05-18-24), LexLight (05-18-24), wthrman2 (05-18-24)
Old 05-18-24, 06:04 PM
zainy
5th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Install the fix by @cyfi66 . The bumper looks a lot better. There was no click even though I pulled up on the bumper and pushed as hard as possible. I also broke one of the fender liner clips. Anyone know the replacement part number for the fender liner clips?
The following 7 users liked this post by zainy:
Bechtold (05-18-24), cyfi66 (05-19-24), DLPTony (05-19-24), MoltenDebt (05-24-24), Oloung1 (05-29-24), PM22 (05-21-24), wthrman2 (05-18-24) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection