IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 06:15 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

^^ I dont know the part number but the gap looks much better - cyfi wil certainly chime in to say whether you needed to hear the clicking sound
Old 05-18-24, 06:22 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by zainy

Install the fix by @cyfi66 . The bumper looks a lot better. There was no click even though I pulled up on the bumper and pushed as hard as possible. I also broke one of the fender liner clips. Anyone know the replacement part number for the fender liner clips?
Looks really good. The part number is 90467-07214. They’re like $1.36.

The following 2 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
Bechtold (05-18-24), DLPTony (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 01:37 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Install the fix by @cyfi66 . The bumper looks a lot better. There was no click even though I pulled up on the bumper and pushed as hard as possible. I also broke one of the fender liner clips. Anyone know the replacement part number for the fender liner clips?
Car looks great!!
Old 05-19-24, 02:16 PM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I also didn't hear the click even though I pulled up on the bumper and mashed the **** out of it. Regardless, it's not sticking out like before so I assume that's good enough.
Old 05-19-24, 03:10 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,324 Likes on 679 Posts

I haven't been paying attention to mine, but it has gotten bad enough to really notice. Looks like I'm ordering this fix next. Stings a bit to know Lexus is leaving this up to the owner to get done.
Old 05-19-24, 05:20 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I haven't been paying attention to mine, but it has gotten bad enough to really notice. Looks like I'm ordering this fix next. Stings a bit to know Lexus is leaving this up to the owner to get done.
If the rumors are to be believed, Lexus isn't actually leaving it up to us, they've just gone back to the drawing board. What makes no sense to me is the complete lack of communication. I am amazed at how many 'professionals', in goodness knows how many different industries, are completely oblivious to how much good even a little communication can do for customer relations when problems arise. The cost and time to write and massage (with a company attorney or whatever) a short statement every now and then is virtually nothing when compared to the frustration and annoyance the customer experiences, often leading to a loss of trust and respect that the company will find much harder and more expensive to earn back in the long run...if they care. Then again, Lexus thought a zip tie and JB weld would be fine, so maybe I expect too much.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but it seems to me that if they really cared about saving money (which includes time), they'd buy cyfi66's fix on Etsy and test it - if they're happy with the results then offer to buy the design for a sum that makes the offer irresistible, yet not so much that it would be equal to what it would cost Lexus to have developed something similar in-house. They could even produce the part in a material or color that differentiates it from what cyfi66 sells on Etsy and allow him to continue selling them as well (which would most likely mean fewer service visits and lower costs for Lexus). Installation is simple enough that they could probably work it into the production line or make it part of PDI for dealers...or do what they're doing now and just hold out hope that it doesn't affect every unit sold and keep it ready as an as-needed fix.
The following 5 users liked this post by HydrantHunter:
95bat (05-19-24), Bechtold (05-19-24), Benibiker1558 (05-20-24), DLPTony (05-20-24), wthrman2 (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 08:25 PM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 894 Likes on 417 Posts

I love Toyota and Lexus but when I interviewed for a job at Corporate HQ in Plano I learned a bit about not hiring the best and brightest shortly afterward. Oh well, it's for the best as they say.
Old 05-19-24, 10:08 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 300 Likes on 109 Posts

Click noise doesn't matter. If it looks like post #418 it's working like it should.
The following 2 users liked this post by cyfi66:
HydrantHunter (05-20-24), wthrman2 (05-23-24)
Old 05-21-24, 10:09 AM
BChoCRNA
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Did anyone install the bumper blocks on the right passenger side also?

I placed both the driver and passenger side blocks recently and after the installation the left driver side is perfect with the passenger side seems loose.

I reattempted with the blue block but haven’t attempted with the red yet. I left the passenger side with the black block in and yesterday I noticed after work that the right passenger side looked a little loose while the driver side is still intact.

Last edited by BChoCRNA; 05-21-24 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-21-24, 10:42 AM
ljerr2
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BChoCRNA
Did anyone install the bumper blocks on the right passenger side also?

I placed both the driver and passenger side blocks recently and after the installation the left driver side is perfect with the passenger side seems loose.

I reattempted with the blue block but haven’t attempted with the red yet. I left the passenger side with the black block in and yesterday I noticed after work that the right passenger side looked a little loose while the driver side is still intact.
You may need to increase your effort to push the bumper in on that side if it was already "ok" before the block install as it may not be fully engaged. Just a thought and what I would try if it were me.
Old 05-21-24, 10:52 AM
BChoCRNA
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ljerr2
You may need to increase your effort to push the bumper in on that side if it was already "ok" before the block install as it may not be fully engaged. Just a thought and what I would try if it were me.
I’ll try that tonight after work!
Old 05-21-24, 11:42 AM
PM22
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks a lot better. Still trying to find time to install mine. That orange flake paint tho.. man that's nice.
The following 2 users liked this post by PM22:
HydrantHunter (05-23-24), wthrman2 (05-21-24)
Old 05-23-24, 01:52 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 978 Likes on 467 Posts

Decided to finally get around to installing this today and this was what my clip looked like.

Obviously, not ideal. My sag was minimal to begin with, but not a fun surprise to see. Reached out to the PPF installers to see if they removed the bumper at all and still waiting to hear back. Have a service appointment tomorrow as well, so going to have them keep me updated on additional TSBs.

However, on the plus side, install went well! Great product, great instructions. Ended up only needing the minimal sag block (ignore the red one in the picture, I was just testing fitment).
The following 3 users liked this post by Kanpai:
cyfi66 (05-23-24), Oloung1 (05-29-24), PM22 (05-23-24)
Old 05-23-24, 01:55 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai
Reached out to the PPF installers to see if they removed the bumper at all and still waiting to hear back.
Your PPF doesn't wrap the corners so I doubt they needed to remove your bumper, unless it wraps at other areas.

Have a service appointment tomorrow
Don't go.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
Benibiker1558 (05-23-24), wthrman2 (05-24-24)
Old 05-23-24, 02:03 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 165 Posts

Decided to finally get around to installing this today and this was what my clip looked like.

Obviously, not ideal. My sag was minimal to begin with, but not a fun surprise to see. Reached out to the PPF installers to see if they removed the bumper at all and still waiting to hear back. Have a service appointment tomorrow as well, so going to have them keep me updated on additional TSBs.

However, on the plus side, install went well! Great product, great instructions. Ended up only needing the minimal sag block (ignore the red one in the picture, I was just testing fitment).
Hate to say it but it's obvious what your dealer will say.... you messed with it, you obviously broke it, you need a new bumper, pay up.

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection