IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 05:55 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ljerr2
Any chance/thoughts on is a strut tower brace would help keep this issue at bay?
If you believe that the cause is due to excessive body flex then maybe, but I think it's just the simple fact they used substandard clips on the bumper that's not up to withstanding such flex. Especially when you see other Lexus and Toyota models being affected. Every car flexes, you just design hardware that will withstand that. Spaceships (Space Shuttle, Space X) flex but they design hardware that will hold up to stresses that will be encountered so they don't lose parts on the way up. Toyota/Lexus need to hurry up and design/replace substandard hardware.
Old 01-16-24, 07:12 PM
ljerr2
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
If you believe that the cause is due to excessive body flex then maybe, but I think it's just the simple fact they used substandard clips on the bumper that's not up to withstanding such flex. Especially when you see other Lexus and Toyota models being affected. Every car flexes, you just design hardware that will withstand that. Spaceships (Space Shuttle, Space X) flex but they design hardware that will hold up to stresses that will be encountered so they don't lose parts on the way up. Toyota/Lexus need to hurry up and design/replace substandard hardware.
I wonder if anyone with a strut brace could report if they've still had issues with the sag/separation?
I've been contemplating a '24 purchase but not too excited about the potential issue or repair (if they come up with one after initial assembly at the factory). If I get one soon I will probably do the strut brace as a matter of possible protection. You'd think if it was as simple to fix as a hardware replacement that Lexus would have remedied it by now. I don't think it would hurt anything to add the brace and it just might help........unless it helps just enough to prevent the sag until I'm out of warranty..................................
Old 01-16-24, 07:27 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

I wonder if anyone with a strut brace could report if they've still had issues with the sag/separation?
I've been contemplating a '24 purchase but not too excited about the potential issue or repair (if they come up with one after initial assembly at the factory). If I get one soon I will probably do the strut brace as a matter of possible protection. You'd think if it was as simple to fix as a hardware replacement that Lexus would have remedied it by now. I don't think it would hurt anything to add the brace and it just might help........unless it helps just enough to prevent the sag until I'm out of warranty..................................
It wouldn’t hurt anything to install one just because it’ll improve your driving dynamics and maybe minimize your chance of getting the separation. My 23’, bought in August is still fine (knock on wood) even after hitting a Home Depot bucket at 60mph. It was hard enough to break the black scoop/garish but overall the bumper was fine. I just replaced the scoop and you wouldn’t know anything happened.
Old 01-20-24, 06:36 PM
LexLight
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

I was wondering that too, as I saw a few owners here having some sort of bracing, also one interesting point is that brace wont be attached to the chassis it is only lateral and if you see the RC F have the bracing attached to the chassis of the vehicle near the firewall as well. RC F Track Edition however removes that additional bracing, no idea what they have done instead. GS F also does not have bracing but perhaps the strut tower and front rails are using stronger steel so the chassis flex is built to last with the V8 performance and weight as GS F is built from ground up while IS 500 has only added the new AA80E plus the Front AL sub-frame for suspension from the GS F.
The following users liked this post:
ljerr2 (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24, 06:42 PM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 222 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Yeah if it's slight don't even mess with it. Knowing some Lexus dealers, they'll deny you warranty or bulletin work if you mess with it.
Originally Posted by PM22
ok good idea. Just not sure if it was going to get worse.
My QA contact said the bulletin will cover any and all IS500s. And he eluded to something along the lines of tension on the bumper causing the sag on the edges. It seems like they're doing the due diligence to make sure this will be a permanent fix, so we'll see.

He also said he understands people who attempted to fix the issue themselves, but Lexus doesn't want owners being forced to take that risk in their own hands and he would prefer everyone just go in for the bulletin if they're experiencing the issue. I'd say anyone who did their own fix to remove it before going in for the bulletin just to be safe.

As soon as I hear the bulletin gets posted I'll share details in this thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
DLPTony (01-21-24), ljerr2 (01-23-24)
Old 01-20-24, 06:45 PM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by Kanpai
I see that name change 👀
Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^

Lou
Had to set the record straight when I got the Vector 🤣

The following 6 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
arentz07 (01-21-24), Bo09is250 (04-16-24), copernicus (02-16-24), DLPTony (01-21-24), Kanpai (01-22-24), Moonman89 (01-21-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-21-24, 08:53 PM
AnotherRandomNPC
Rookie

Received 56 Likes on 18 Posts

Knowing about this issue is preventing me from getting an aftermarket front lip at the moment. Would hate for the dealer to blame it on the lip if this issue arose.
Old 01-21-24, 09:44 PM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by AnotherRandomNPC
Knowing about this issue is preventing me from getting an aftermarket front lip at the moment. Would hate for the dealer to blame it on the lip if this issue arose.
My QA contact told me the application of the TSB shouldn't be refused for people with modifications like PPF, signs the bumper has been removed, or even light damage. This is what was told to me verbally at least.
The following 4 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
DLPTony (01-22-24), jsch222 (01-22-24), ljerr2 (01-23-24), TaiTN (01-24-24)
Old 03-05-24, 03:41 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ Have you heard any updates on this TSB? It was originally hoping to be released in January but I know these things can be delayed...Just curious if there is any movement or the thing is dead?
Old 03-05-24, 03:49 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Have you heard any updates on this TSB? It was originally hoping to be released in January but I know these things can be delayed...Just curious if there is any movement or the thing is dead?
Still very much alive. Original targeted date for the TSB was February 16th, but it got delayed for approvals. I was told it could be any day now
The following 3 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
DLPTony (03-05-24), PM22 (03-05-24), wthrman2 (03-05-24)
Old 03-05-24, 03:50 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Fastest response ever!! Thank you so much and keep us posted If you can put pressure on your contact to make sure they push this to Canada also please I'll send you a few Timbits! (donut holes)
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (03-05-24)
Old 03-05-24, 04:05 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Fastest response ever!! Thank you so much and keep us posted If you can put pressure on your contact to make sure they push this to Canada also please I'll send you a few Timbits! (donut holes)
I'm hoping the Canadian border isn't an issue. Luckily if it is we'll at least have detailed instructions on the proper fix. But I will keep everyone posted!
The following 7 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
DLPTony (03-05-24), ecoil (03-05-24), ICEforever (03-05-24), LexLight (03-05-24), ljerr2 (03-05-24), PM22 (03-05-24), wthrman2 (03-05-24) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-07-24, 10:56 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

If anyone’s curious on how the fix looks/works here the tsb. Thanks to Frank Carmen!.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0010-24.pdf (1.03 MB, 96 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Longwaldo:
Bechtold (03-07-24), jsch222 (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 11:01 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
If anyone’s curious on how the fix looks/works here the tsb. Thanks to Frank Carmen!.
I’m ngl, it’s great that Frank got Lexus to own up to it and even do a TSB, but this is the absolute most half assed TSB I have yet to see of any manufacturer. They are essentially glueing your bumper to the car, instead of going back to the drawing board and properly addressing this with either a new bumper with better tabs, or a better bracket. Do better next time Lexus. Extreme cost cutting at its finest.
The following 3 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
bbong (03-11-24), DLPTony (03-07-24), ljerr2 (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 11:06 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

This is some bullS$)@

what a half A$$ fix. Truly disappointing
The following 2 users liked this post by jsch222:
bbong (03-11-24), ljerr2 (03-07-24)

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection