IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 10:12 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 216 Likes on 70 Posts
Default IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection

I'm looking to gather images and information on every IS500 I can that has the front bumper separation issues to get visibility on the issue. Any images posted may be shared for reference purposes to anyone who will listen.

Anyone that has the front bumper separation, can you please give me the following: 1. A picture of your bumper/fender showing the issue2. Last 4 digits of your car's VIN3. Mileage you noticed it

I'm not here to crap on Lexus/Toyota as a brand of scare anyone away from buying an IS500, we just want visibility on the issue that could affect an owner long term and I want to help us get that. I want to compile the largest file/spreadsheet we can to send over to someone to get us some visibility and potentially a solution to this. If you've already sent your info on one of the Facebook groups you don't need to post here. I appreciate your time.

moderator edit:

Information on an aftermarket fix

A creative, non-TSB solution for the bumper separation issues has been developed by one of our forum members. I wanted to share an install video they provided. The video goes through the process of getting their support block into position and has enough information to prepare anyone to do the install themselves.

Per our forum rules, solicitation and promotion of items for sale is not allowed except by approved vendors. As such, I kindly ask that we keep sales questions and discussion out of this thread. Let's keep it on topic of Q&A, feedback, and discussion of the bumper issue only. Thanks in advance for keeping the discussions on track.

Last edited by arentz07; 05-06-24 at 09:00 AM. Reason: moderator edit for fix info video

Popular Reply

04-06-24, 08:03 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 298 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks to Pittsy I was able to get my hands on the actual car and make some adjustments.

From what I saw I'm leaning towards thinking there's something wrong with how the bumper is molded from the factory. Without the bracket holding anything in place you could see the bumper flex in a way that would push the affected area out and away from the fender anytime I pushed the bumper into place near the front emblem. If I let the bumper relax the affected area would go back up flush to the fender. So essentially the clip in question is always under tension and it seemed apparent on the drivers side and not really on the passenger side. There maybe some slight misshape with the bumper?

I don't think the JB weld on the bumper is helping anything and I wouldn't recommend anyone getting it applied. The bumper bracket rests against the JB weld area and interferes. My guess is that the JB weld wasn't fully cured when his dealership put the bumper back on because it was clearly indented where the bracket touches. I'm not sure they'd have been able to get the bumper to clip on at all if the JB weld was fully cured or worse if it was still wet it could glue the bumper to the car. See the red circled area where the bumper bracket is being jammed into the JB weld.

Also you could tell the front clip was barely grabbing on the corner. With the support block in place the clip is fully engaged.

The original support block was definitely hitting the JB weld so I was able to make a version with clearance for the JB weld, but still had to grind a little bit of the JB weld off. Even with an unmodified bracket the JB weld is interfering and making it harder to clip the bumper in place.

I also added clearance in some areas and a ramp in the middle to give the clip a little extra engagement. It made the bumper clip in extremely firmly and I think it will hold much better than OEM and much better than the TSB mod. Everything looked perfect when Pittsy picked up his car (did both driver and passenger side) so we are going to give it some time to see what happens, but I feel good about it holding strong.

To mastershibe's point the block for sure increases the grab on the clip, but the bumper tabs are really strong and I don't see there being enough tension on the clip to rip anything. It's difficult to unclip the bumper just by pulling but a small plastic trim tool in the gap easily releases it, which Pitssy mentioned is good practice anyways and what his tech does with all bumpers.

In summary:
  • The updated support block worked extremely well and now we just need to wait and see if it holds up.
  • The support block I made has clearance for the TSB JB weld, but may interfere depending on how much JB weld your dealership decides to put on. The same support block will work with non TSB cars so only one version needed. If you had the TSB done you'd need to replace the bumper bracket.
  • The support block is extremely easy to install (if you haven't had the TSB done). Requires removing four pop clips, one 10mm screw and releasing the 2 bumper/fender clips. I've documented all the steps with pictures and video for future reference.
  • Based on what I saw I don't recommend getting the TSB done. If anything do the turnbuckle mod or wait to see if this support block works.
  • There is possible an issue with the shape of the bumper cover itself causing too much tension on the front drivers side clip.
  • If the passenger side isn't popping out just leave it alone. This might affect just the drivers side for some reason.
Old 06-05-23, 02:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,882 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eparation.html

Check here...
Old 06-05-23, 02:55 PM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 216 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
That's on my list to go through this week and DM people
Old 06-05-23, 08:16 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I thought this was fixed with 2023s. Hadn’t heard about it in awhile just like monkeypox.
Old 06-06-23, 03:26 AM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

I didn’t have any bumper separation on my ‘22. However, after a ****ty hit and run, my car suffered a front bumper hit and I got mine replaced. It was done at the same shop my Lexus dealer uses for all their collision repairs… however, when I got the car back and drove it around a bit, the dreaded bumper sag started happening on the driver side. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow to see if they can fix it or if the whole thing has to be replaced…
Old 06-06-23, 04:20 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,673 Likes on 1,781 Posts

^^ That is unfortunate but interesting at the same time. My understanding is that if the separation occurred, they would send a new bumper cover with the redesigned clip to be installed. If you got a new bumper cover and it sags, seems to me that the "so called fix" is not really resolved after all....Keep us posted
Old 06-06-23, 07:54 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ That is unfortunate but interesting at the same time. My understanding is that if the separation occurred, they would send a new bumper cover with the redesigned clip to be installed. If you got a new bumper cover and it sags, seems to me that the "so called fix" is not really resolved after all....Keep us posted
Are you assuming he got the new '23 clip? Seems like he didn't.
Old 06-06-23, 08:36 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Well, I saw a post from someone (may have been ISSAV8) where they said the solution for the bumper sagging situation was a new bumper being sent to be repainted and reinstalled. Surely that if they send a replacement for a sagging bumper, that they won't send the exact sagging part again?!?
Old 06-06-23, 08:54 AM
gcmak
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts

The 23's sag. It just took time and mileage and more owners. Probably the same ratio of sag/no-sag as the 22's over a 12 month period.
Regardless, it's still a thing and someone who got their bumper replaced is reporting the issue again after more time and more mileage.

My Lexus tech friends tell me this is a common issue among other models like ES and RX due to how heavy the front bumpers are. Those often get replaced with the issue happening again later. Guess our 2" of extra length on the bumper cover made the difference in terms of the issue presenting itself on the IS.
Old 06-06-23, 08:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by gcmak
The 23's sag. It just took time and mileage and more owners. Probably the same ratio of sag/no-sag as the 22's over a 12 month period.
Regardless, it's still a thing and someone who got their bumper replaced is reporting the issue again after more time and more mileage.

My Lexus tech friends tell me this is a common issue among other models like ES and RX due to how heavy the front bumpers are. Those often get replaced with the issue happening again later. Guess our 2" of extra length on the bumper cover made the difference in terms of the issue presenting itself on the IS.
I would love to see an example of a '23 that is sagging.
The following users liked this post:
gcmak (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 09:01 AM
gcmak
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
I would love to see an example of a '23 that is sagging.
Not sure if you're in any of the FB groups but there's collections of em now.
Facebook Post
Hmm FB links are a challenge in here...lets split the URL...
https://www.facebook.com
/groups/is500owners/permalink/2355942684584767/

And here's my 23'

Old 06-06-23, 09:24 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

^GC, I'm not sure I really see it on yours. It could just be an unforgiving camera angle because mine looks slightly similar but I don't technically have the separation.

FWIW I have a '22 with a driver side front lip that's been scraped to hell and back. I'm 100% sure scrapes have nothing to do with this.
gcmak (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 09:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by gcmak
Not sure if you're in any of the FB groups but there's collections of em now.
Thanks. I don't use Facebook.
gcmak (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 09:36 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

gcmak - Thanks for the information. It is upsetting/frustrating that something as simple as expecting body panels to hold in place, I mean what is that guy (Dave) who talks about how amazing the quality of Japanese built vehicles are and walks around with his "gap meter" - Sheesh
gcmak (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 09:38 AM
gcmak
Driver

Originally Posted by macmaster
^GC, I'm not sure I really see it on yours. It could just be an unforgiving camera angle because mine looks slightly similar but I don't technically have the separation.

FWIW I have a '22 with a driver side front lip that's been scraped to hell and back. I'm 100% sure scrapes have nothing to do with this.
Driver on the left, passenger on the right. Does this help?
I can lift and push up on the driver side and it'll close most of the gap, temporarily. Doesn't take much for it to start sagging/popping out.

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation - Please post your images/info for data collection