IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What do you NOT like about your IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 01:03 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 193 Likes on 97 Posts

For me, and I am also nitpicking as well.... This car would be Automobile Nirvana if it were offered a 6-spd manual and better brakes.
The following users liked this post:
igetit14is (01-28-24)
Old 06-09-23, 01:56 PM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

My biggest gripe...
USB audio doesn't play files by track order it plays it by default in alphabetical order unless you search by folder. So weird, never experienced this on anything else before. Yep, that's really it.

Personally I would like better brakes and oil/transmission coolers.

Nit picks...
Inability to turn off just the traction control without killing the stability control.
Turn signal (also used to it and changed the default blinks to 7).
Transmission shifts too conservative unless in sport plus and kind of clunky at slow speeds coming to a stop.
No rear door touch unlock sensors. (Still don't understand why this is still a thing, but I changed it to unlock all doors).
Door bottle holders could be a little larger.
Subpar OEM Bridgestone tires. This is a Lexus and frankly many other OEM's tradition. Why no Michelin Pilot Sport tires? The F cars got them.

Possible concern...
My ABS, Pre-Collision, Parking Brake and Advanced Ultrasonic Detecting systems decided one time to just go to sleep on one short drive with Christmas tree lights around the tachometer for this event. Next drive on the way back they were back but the cruise control did not want to turn on. Third drive and multiple drives since everything works fine. Hopefully this is not a possible future issue having Safety System 2.5 as my 2018's version never had any issues. Not that I use much of this stuff, I just don't like error messages.
2022IS300 (06-16-23)
Old 06-09-23, 02:14 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 974 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by 808c2s
For me, and I am also nitpicking as well.... This car would be Automobile Nirvana if it were offered a 6-spd manual and better brakes.
Hard disagree
bbong (11-13-23)
Old 06-09-23, 02:21 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 193 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai
Hard disagree
Different strokes for different folks...agree to disagree
igetit14is (01-28-24)
Old 06-09-23, 03:11 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
My biggest gripe...
USB audio doesn't play files by track order it plays it by default in alphabetical order unless you search by folder. So weird, never experienced this on anything else before.
I have my USB artists in folders by alphabetical order (all A artists in the A folder with their respective subfolder) and then i just use the shuffle feature and works great for me. When i wanna listen more of an artist, i change from random folder to random song within that sub folder...

PM me if you have any questions as i know i am not explaining maybe as well as i should/could
Old 06-09-23, 06:28 PM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Received 316 Likes on 122 Posts

What’s not to like? If I had to pick something, I’d say gas mileage.
Old 06-09-23, 07:34 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Fman2118
What’s not to like? If I had to pick something, I’d say gas mileage.
Surprisingly I'm finding not that bad at 19.5 mpg mostly city driving, well, at least compared to my 350, which was hovering around 21 mpg.

Last edited by TGPCanada; 06-09-23 at 07:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
arentz07 (06-09-23), Fman2118 (06-09-23)
Old 06-09-23, 07:37 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

No complaining here - but just taking a bit of time for me to get used to the transmission. And this is probably just because my previous 350 had the 6 speed, which was ultra smooth.
Also, not impressed with the brake feel, again, in comparison to my prior 350, which seemed to have more bite.
EngIceDave (06-10-23)
Old 06-09-23, 07:39 PM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Received 316 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Surprisingly I'm finding not that bad at 19.5 mpg mostly city driving, well, at least compared to my 350, which was hovering around 21 mpg.
it’s not terrible and really doesn’t matter to me, but I had to pick something. 😂
Old 06-09-23, 07:52 PM
Bechtold
Advanced

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I have my USB artists in folders by alphabetical order (all A artists in the A folder with their respective subfolder) and then i just use the shuffle feature and works great for me. When i wanna listen more of an artist, i change from random folder to random song within that sub folder...

PM me if you have any questions as i know i am not explaining maybe as well as i should/could
Oh I know how it works. It's not an issue if you shuffle, it's only an issue if you play from tracks from first to last in order within an album. I also have a USB tool called FAT Sorter which rearranges the order of the folders and files to alphabetical for the folders and within numerical order in the FAT table so it is in actual order but that doesn't matter to the head unit when you select by album, it sorts alphabetical and ignores the track numbers. It's so stupid.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bechtold:
2022IS300 (06-16-23), wthrman2 (06-10-23)
Old 06-09-23, 08:23 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Oh I know how it works. It's not an issue if you shuffle, it's only an issue if you play from tracks from first to last in order within an album. I also have a USB tool called FAT Sorter which rearranges the order of the folders and files to alphabetical for the folders and within numerical order in the FAT table so it is in actual order but that doesn't matter to the head unit when you select by album, it sorts alphabetical and ignores the track numbers. It's so stupid.
Mine plays by number 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I name them special or something.
Old 06-09-23, 08:39 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 358 Likes on 158 Posts

after a couple months, noticed there is not enough usb ports not a big deal in the center console cuz i can get a usb hub, another thing i hate is 12v cigarette outlet thing is in the center console not by the steering wheel heater button which sucks for my radar detector, but i guess i can buy a hard wire kit... and the brakes can definitely be better
Old 06-09-23, 08:57 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Same, and same. I was getting about 21 MPG average in my IS 350. Here, 18.7 MPG so far. I've had it creep up to being over 19 MPG average a few times, but the average number falls off a cliff whenever I drive it spiritedly. That suggests to me that it is pretty efficient when not being driven for fun.
EngIceDave (06-10-23)
Old 06-09-23, 09:39 PM
Bechtold
Advanced

Originally Posted by 95bat
Mine plays by number 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I name them special or something.
So if I browse by folder and select a folder (album) they do play in numerical order. However if I select by album they play in alphabetical order, it ignores the track numbers and looks at the name of the song. It's weird and when I did a search on this I discovered it's not a new thing. I believe it affects the generation 8/9 units.

Try it for yourself, select an album you are familiar with the track order and then select it by album, your tracks should go by alphabetical. Then go and select by folder and watch them play in track order. Or do these in reverse. Either way it should play out the same as I described.

For the record I use a USB flash drive not my phone and I use FLAC files, not sure if it does it on MP3 files also but it might. The audiophile in me was happy I have a stereo that plays FLAC so I will never play MP3's of my albums ever again.

My aftermarket Pioneer stereo I put in my Supra plays them in track order always, no funny business there.

Last edited by Bechtold; 06-09-23 at 09:43 PM.
2022IS300 (06-16-23)
Old 06-09-23, 11:31 PM
trippleB
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Two major dissatisfaction so far:

1. The way how the engine/transmission are tuned makes the car prefer to stay in the 2k-3k rpm range so badly, unless I really push it hard by almost flooring the gas pedal. The torque of this V8 is insufficient below 3k rpm - I have owned or driven almost all mainstream V8 sedans/coupes in the past decade, this 2UR-GSE + 8AT combination is one of the V8 powertrains that does not give me the feel of a V8. It reminds me the experience of driving the old Crown Victoria/Grand Maqruis. If I push it harder, it suddenly "explodes" and revs up wildly towards the redline, I do feel the power at this time but this defeats the purpose of a V8, because the only reason I want the V8 is for its broad torque plateau, especially the feel of enormous torque at low rpm. Rev up to get torque and power is what I expect for those 4-cyl cars instead.

2. The seat back: its shape is too "concave", when I lean on it, it makes me sort of "hunchbacked". I understand different people have different body shapes, I hope Lexus can provide more adjustable areas to fit driver's body contour.

Last edited by trippleB; 06-09-23 at 11:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by trippleB:
EngIceDave (06-10-23), Propulsion (12-14-23)

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about your IS500?