IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What do you NOT like about your IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24 | 04:22 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bechtold
At least no one went in this direction...
I hoped it would be something twisted, because I’m a naughty 10 year old. 😈 I figured the ‘Motel Guy’ would have something really good to say! ::joking laugh::
Old 01-20-24 | 05:58 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I hoped it would be something twisted, because I’m a naughty 10 year old. 😈 I figured the ‘Motel Guy’ would have something really good to say! ::joking laugh::
LOL "Motel Guy" ... what a nickname!

Paging @wthrman2 for some entertaining commentary 😂
Old 01-20-24 | 08:50 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 95bat
LOL "Motel Guy" ... what a nickname!

Paging @wthrman2 for some entertaining commentary 😂
LOL! Right!
Old 01-25-24 | 05:13 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Does anyone have a rattle in the center console by the shifter? Is it worth having the dealership look at it? Or should I just slap some sound deadener where I think the rattle is?

I guess the question is, should i be lazy and let the dealership deal look at it? Or do it myself so it's done carefully?
Old 01-26-24 | 08:20 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Does anyone have a rattle in the center console by the shifter? Is it worth having the dealership look at it? Or should I just slap some sound deadener where I think the rattle is?

I guess the question is, should i be lazy and let the dealership deal look at it? Or do it myself so it's done carefully?
just stuff it full of sound deadening.
Old 01-26-24 | 09:22 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Haha thats the plan. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had a passenger and the radio wasn't loud enough to drown out the rattle.
Old 01-26-24 | 10:17 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pittsy
...explains why my pants no longer rattle (lol)
Old 01-28-24 | 10:52 AM
igetit14is
Rookie

Originally Posted by trippleB
Two major dissatisfaction so far:

1. The way how the engine/transmission are tuned makes the car prefer to stay in the 2k-3k rpm range so badly, unless I really push it hard by almost flooring the gas pedal. The torque of this V8 is insufficient below 3k rpm - I have owned or driven almost all mainstream V8 sedans/coupes in the past decade, this 2UR-GSE + 8AT combination is one of the V8 powertrains that does not give me the feel of a V8. It reminds me the experience of driving the old Crown Victoria/Grand Maqruis. If I push it harder, it suddenly "explodes" and revs up wildly towards the redline, I do feel the power at this time but this defeats the purpose of a V8, because the only reason I want the V8 is for its broad torque plateau, especially the feel of enormous torque at low rpm. Rev up to get torque and power is what I expect for those 4-cyl cars instead.

2. The seat back: its shape is too "concave", when I lean on it, it makes me sort of "hunchbacked". I understand different people have different body shapes, I hope Lexus can provide more adjustable areas to fit driver's body contour.
I agree the tuning is this car is not very good, the sport + mode is weak to the point my car will shift into 8th gear and cruise at 1500 rpm in +, absolutely not ready to produce any hint of instant power or torque wanted for a spirited drive, and shifting is way to smooth and slow in + mode,, its like,, why?
Old 01-28-24 | 10:57 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by igetit14is
I agree the tuning is this car is not very good, the sport + mode is weak to the point my car will shift into 8th gear and cruise at 1500 rpm in +, absolutely not ready to produce any hint of instant power or torque wanted for a spirited drive, and shifting is way to smooth and slow in + mode,, its like,, why?
If my car is sufficiently warmed-up, it doesn't go into 8th gear in Sport S+.
Old 01-28-24 | 10:58 AM
igetit14is
Rookie

I totally agree! This car gives everything,, including the lower maintenance and repair costs by far of ANYTHING in its class!
The following users liked this post:
HighRevs (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24 | 11:05 AM
igetit14is
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'll pay attention to that ,, this my third 14 is 350 f and 22 RC-F and neither of those acted the way this one is. I don't know how or why operating temp should have anything to with gear selection if sport + tho
Old 01-28-24 | 11:18 AM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think people are missing the point of this car and what Lexus is all about, in my opinion this is first and foremost a LUXURY sports sedan designed to give one a comfortable daily drive, not to be confused with an M3 or AMG (also designed to outlive them). When spirited driving is desired I find sport + pretty good and paddle shifting excellent when you want to be very aggressive. But again 90% of the time I'm commuting and I enjoy the comfort and solid feel, also I rarely turn on the excellent ML sound system because I so much enjoy the V8 sound. As far as the brake feel I think that is a matter of getting use to, I've unfortunately have had a couple of opportunities to hit the brakes hard due to the usual "idiots" on the road and they did do the job quite well!
The following 2 users liked this post by HJP12:
HighRevs (01-28-24), igetit14is (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24 | 12:34 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by igetit14is
I'll pay attention to that ,, this my third 14 is 350 f and 22 RC-F and neither of those acted the way this one is. I don't know how or why operating temp should have anything to with gear selection if sport + tho
My car typically won't shift passed 7th in S+. Sometimes it will though, and I don't know why.
Old 01-28-24 | 12:37 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by HJP12
I think people are missing the point of this car and what Lexus is all about, in my opinion this is first and foremost a LUXURY sports sedan designed to give one a comfortable daily drive, not to be confused with an M3 or AMG (also designed to outlive them). When spirited driving is desired I find sport + pretty good and paddle shifting excellent when you want to be very aggressive. But again 90% of the time I'm commuting and I enjoy the comfort and solid feel, also I rarely turn on the excellent ML sound system because I so much enjoy the V8 sound. As far as the brake feel I think that is a matter of getting use to, I've unfortunately have had a couple of opportunities to hit the brakes hard due to the usual "idiots" on the road and they did do the job quite well!
Lexus easily could have made the transmission better in S+, which is kind of the point in having different modes. It's a luxury sports sedan. It's got a Torsen diff for God's sake.
The following users liked this post:
igetit14is (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24 | 12:54 PM
igetit14is
Rookie

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Lexus easily could have made the transmission better in S+, which is kind of the point in having different modes. It's a luxury sports sedan. It's got a Torsen diff for God's sake.
My RC-F same motor same trans,, way differant behavior

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about your IS500?