IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What do you NOT like about your IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 09:45 AM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosclarkmd
Ok I may catch some backlash for this because these "complaints" are VERY petty. Overall I see it as a positive that I have to go this far to find something to complain about. Here goes..

1. The front camera always turning on when I'm close to ANYTHING and sounding the alarm. (This complaint is common among this site)
2. I actually DON'T like the heated or cooled seats memory and returning to the same setting as when I turned the car off. (Often I'm getting to work when it's cold and it's hot when I leave and I forget to see the heated seats are still on from earlier)
3. The radio turning off when the engine is turned off. My other vehicle's radios stay on till you open the door.
4. I haven't used remote start yet but I've read that the engine stops when you open the door after remote start. This seems counter productive.

These are the things I've found thus far.. I've only had the 500 for a couple months and haven't driven it much. There may even be a way to adjust these complaints in the car's settings that I've not discovered yet.

All in all though, I really do love this car!! When I drive the IS500, listening to my playlist on that Mark Levinson, it's my therapy !!!
Agree it is hard to find any major faults with this car but I will say that when you remote start the engine it turns off when the door is opened to prevent theft, I do not know if that is adjustable but I think the front camera settings are adjustable.
Old 03-04-24, 04:34 AM
carlosclarkmd
Driver

Received 112 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HJP12
Agree it is hard to find any major faults with this car but I will say that when you remote start the engine it turns off when the door is opened to prevent theft, I do not know if that is adjustable but I think the front camera settings are adjustable.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into seeing if the engine kill when opening the door is adjustable. My GM cars require the door to be locked to remote start to avoid theft. That would seem to make more sense to me but I'm sure Lexus has their reasons.
Old 03-04-24, 05:01 AM
04gita
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

3. The radio turning off when the engine is turned off. My other vehicle's radios stay on till you open the door.
This. 1000x this.
The following users liked this post:
HydrantHunter (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 06:54 AM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info! I'll look into seeing if the engine kill when opening the door is adjustable. My GM cars require the door to be locked to remote start to avoid theft. That would seem to make more sense to me but I'm sure Lexus has their reasons.
I had an older GX460 and added an aftermarket remote start and that too turned off when the door was unlocked and opened, I think that is how they are programed to work with Lexus vehicles????
Old 03-04-24, 07:34 AM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

My best guess is that having the engine shut off when the door is opened is a theft resistance measure. I'm not aware of any remote start that doesn't do that - there may units that don't do it, but I'd bet they're not OEM.
Old 03-04-24, 08:00 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 398 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by HydrantHunter
My best guess is that having the engine shut off when the door is opened is a theft resistance measure. I'm not aware of any remote start that doesn't do that - there may units that don't do it, but I'd bet they're not OEM.
My brother's F-150 remote starts and stays on when you open the door and get in. The way Lexus and other manufactures make the car shut down upon opening the door almost makes the remote start thing pointless.
The following users liked this post:
HighRevs (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 08:11 AM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
My brother's F-150 remote starts and stays on when you open the door and get in. The way Lexus and other manufactures make the car shut down upon opening the door almost makes the remote start thing pointless.
If you live where it gets icy cold like the North East or Midwest having remote start to get your car nice and toasty when you get in is good to have regardless of it shutting off when you open the door, in my opinion.
The following 5 users liked this post by HJP12:
arentz07 (03-04-24), DLPTony (03-05-24), HydrantHunter (03-04-24), lgb0250 (03-10-24), wfibear (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 08:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,910 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Recently, I realized there's one part of the driving experience that does annoy me quite a bit - throttle delay. Even in S+ mode at high RPM, there seems to be about a 1/4 to 1/3 second delay before the drivetrain responds to accelerator input. I'd say it's about the same amount of delay as in the paddles. When I am driving for fun this can dampen the experience a little bit. The throttle response is very good, just... it's on a timed delay. Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-04-24, 08:36 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Recently, I realized there's one part of the driving experience that does annoy me quite a bit - throttle delay. Even in S+ mode at high RPM, there seems to be about a 1/4 to 1/3 second delay before the drivetrain responds to accelerator input. I'd say it's about the same amount of delay as in the paddles. When I am driving for fun this can dampen the experience a little bit. The throttle response is very good, just... it's on a timed delay. Anyone else experience this?
This may sound weird but if you make sure your whole foot is on the gas pedal, I mean heel at the bottom and toes at the top, acceleration is way smoother and responsive. If you just have the tip of your foot touching the pedal it seems to require more pressure to get the pedal moving and seems to cause a delay. Try it next time you drive the IS.
Old 03-04-24, 08:44 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HJP12
If you live where it gets icy cold like the North East or Midwest having remote start to get your car nice and toasty when you get in is good to have regardless of it shutting off when you open the door, in my opinion.
It's the same here where it's hot and you want to get your car cooled off before you get in but to turn around and have to restart once you get in is silly. Better than nothing I suppose.
Old 03-04-24, 08:50 AM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Obligatory follow-up - is that remote start OEM or aftermarket?
Old 03-04-24, 08:57 AM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
I haven't noticed that, but I'll definitely be keeping a look out now. Are you in auto or manual...or does it even make a difference?
Old 03-04-24, 09:31 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

I think that is what Toyota said, it's for security. I hate having to start my car twice so I don't use my remote start.

GM vehicles do not shut off, I like it a lot more. You just get in, push the button to "start" the car (turns on the electronics), and you're good to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
Benibiker1558 (03-04-24), HydrantHunter (03-05-24)
Old 03-04-24, 09:33 AM
FLXYLXY
Pit Crew

Received 119 Likes on 36 Posts

For me it’s the time it takes for the transmission to warm up for snappy paddle shifts The rusty brake rotors when you wash the wheels and the mess it creates on the freshly washed wheel barrels. The brake pads dust like crazy too. Drying the car after a car wash also sucks especially the rear. That’s about it.
Old 03-04-24, 09:50 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Obligatory follow-up - is that remote start OEM or aftermarket?
It's OEM, seems most American vehicles are like that. The instrument panel and other screens will be blanked out, when you step in you press the start button and everything lights up. Meanwhile the engine continues to run.
The following 2 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
carlosclarkmd (03-05-24), HydrantHunter (03-05-24)

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about your IS500?