IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What do you NOT like about your IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 09:52 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by HydrantHunter
I haven't noticed that, but I'll definitely be keeping a look out now. Are you in auto or manual...or does it even make a difference?
Does not seem to make a difference.

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
This may sound weird but if you make sure your whole foot is on the gas pedal, I mean heel at the bottom and toes at the top, acceleration is way smoother and responsive. If you just have the tip of your foot touching the pedal it seems to require more pressure to get the pedal moving and seems to cause a delay. Try it next time you drive the IS.
You know, it's funny, this morning I drove it and felt the delay was minimal. Not sure, maybe the car is moody, or else I am just being picky. lol

I didn't do anything different with my feet, too. But that is a good idea - I try to have my heel at the bottom of the accelerator, but sometimes I get lazy and just keep it between the gas and brake and move the ball of my foot back and forth. Either way, it does seem like user error after all.
Old 03-04-24, 10:35 AM
Sp2Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My best guess is that having the engine shut off when the door is opened is a theft resistance measure. I'm not aware of any remote start that doesn't do that - there may units that don't do it, but I'd bet they're not OEM.
My previous Gen2 Raptor had OEM remote start, didn't shut off when the door was opened.
My current G80 M3 works the same way with OEM remote start, it's great.
I don't know why Lexus/Toyo do this.
Old 03-05-24, 02:35 AM
LexusMafiaForever
Rookie

Default All good

Originally Posted by macmaster
I feel slightly embarrassed that its not a full F car. The IS F boys are mean and think they're better than us. I take solace in knowing they had to buy their IS F secondhand and can never afford a $70k car.... but I can.
lol bro. Its all good. Is500 is nice too
Old 03-05-24, 04:22 AM
carlosclarkmd
Driver

Received 112 Likes on 38 Posts

Obligatory follow-up - is that remote start OEM or aftermarket?
My Duramax is OEM and doesn't turn off when you open the door. Requires the door to be locked when you remote start to avoid theft.
The following users liked this post:
HighRevs (03-05-24)
Old 03-05-24, 10:39 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Until you can no longer drive off when the key is not detected, I am quite okay with it shutting off when the door is opened.
Old 03-05-24, 10:51 AM
carlosclarkmd
Driver

Received 112 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Until you can no longer drive off when the key is not detected, I am quite okay with it shutting off when the door is opened.
What I like about GM's is the shifter is locked until you get in the car with the KeyFob and press the start button or insert the key and turn it to the "on" position.
The following 3 users liked this post by carlosclarkmd:
DLPTony (03-05-24), HydrantHunter (03-05-24), Longwaldo (03-05-24)
Old 03-05-24, 03:09 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosclarkmd
What I like about GM's is the shifter is locked until you get in the car with the KeyFob and press the start button or insert the key and turn it to the "on" position.
Now that’s something! I’ve always found the shut off complaint to be odd, when the car can be driven away with a non-detected key.

That’s more egregious in my opinion! 🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Bechtold (03-05-24), HydrantHunter (03-07-24)
Old 03-05-24, 06:13 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosclarkmd
GM isn't perfect, but they often get so many little things right that other manufacturers seem to overlook. This is such a well thought out solution. Sometimes I feel like many features in cars are designed by people who don't actually use those features...or, sometimes, even drive cars...

DLPTony (03-05-24)
Old 03-07-24, 07:49 PM
PapaSmurf500
10th Gear

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

very very crap range on the keyfob to car, at least compared to my Ford Raptor
FLXYLXY (03-10-24)
Old 03-07-24, 07:50 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf500
very very crap range on the keyfob to car, at least compared to my Ford Raptor
Ford keys> my wife’s raptor can remote start from what seems like a fricken Mile
Old 03-09-24, 04:36 PM
DimaVet
6th Gear

one year, 12,000 km ... breaks and seats comfort , really nothing else bad to say
Old 03-10-24, 11:54 AM
ecoil
10th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Really just minor things for me. No HUD - previous car had one and I miss it, but it was easier going back to using regular gauges than I expected. And then the touchscreen always takes me a couple of presses to get it to trigger something but I think I've just not used it enough to get used to it.
Old 03-10-24, 12:43 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess I don't understand the HUD complaint. I mean, who wouldn't want to look at that beautiful LFA inspired gauge cluster. It was one of the main drawing points for me into Lexus F sport models.

For me, they are extremely minor...

1. As others have mentioned, the remote start turning off when opening the door. I believe my wife's old KIA had remote start that didn't turn off when opening the door, but it had a location sensor or something and if you were out of the car you couldn't engage the shifter (or something that prevented you from driving).

2. Lack of small storage to set small items. The track pad could go and replaced with a little tray.

3. Transmission. As mentioned in a previous post, it's jarring at first because at low speeds it's a bit clunky sometimes when downshifting. It can also be slow when pushing it on certain gears.
Old 03-10-24, 03:07 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

My best guess is that having the engine shut off when the door is opened is a theft resistance measure. I'm not aware of any remote start that doesn't do that - there may units that don't do it, but I'd bet they're not OEM.
It’s just a Toyota thing! My Mustang GT remote start doesn’t shut off when door opened. Get in, hit start button and go. Wish our ES350 and RX450h did but welcome to a Toyota product!
Old 03-10-24, 04:35 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 981 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by lgb0250
It’s just a Toyota thing! My Mustang GT remote start doesn’t shut off when door opened. Get in, hit start button and go. Wish our ES350 and RX450h did but welcome to a Toyota product!
Grand Highlander does not do this

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about your IS500?