IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What do you NOT like about your IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 05:58 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai
I'm going to PPF my corpse when I die
There's only a 10 year warranty, so after that...well, you could start to yellow and peel unless someone can get to you and ceramic coat you now and then
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 07:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,910 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Does this car get hate on Instagram? I have zero social media.
Oh yes. All the hot bois hate on it for being "overpriced" and "slow" and "a Corolla".

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Well you filmed it in portrait mode, so there is that...
That's a zonk, right?

But I just wanted it to look good for the reel. IG seems optimized for portrait mode.
Bechtold (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 09:39 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Oh yes. All the hot bois hate on it for being "overpriced" and "slow" and "a Corolla".
Yeah…but that’s to be expected. The absolute worst are the F dudes. They pretty much leave the LC guys alone, because it’s considered the halo car. They will talk bad about them, but save the extra vitriol for the IS500s. (…and even amongst them it’s mostly the ISF owners.)

I find it funny to be honest. Same engine, just as fast, and modernized, they should be happy!

God knows I am. 😎

The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
arentz07 (03-14-24), Bechtold (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 09:52 AM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Yeah…but that’s to be expected. The absolute worst are the F dudes. They pretty much leave the LC guys alone, because it’s considered the halo car. They will talk bad about them, but save the extra vitriol for the IS500s. (…and even amongst them it’s mostly the ISF owners.)

I find it funny to be honest. Same engine, just as fast, and modernized, they should be happy!

God knows I am. 😎
Right... Also, it's not our fault Lexus didn't badge the IS 500 as ISF, we'll probably never get another ISF release so the 500 is pretty dang close, which I would MUCH rather have than a 15 year old ISF with 150k miles IMO.
DLPTony (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 10:45 AM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

God knows I am. 😎
Are the ISF resale values dropping due to the IS500? Maybe that's the reason for the angst?
DLPTony (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 10:49 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

God knows I am. 😎
One commenter literally said "Still not a GS F though". I responded, "sure, OK, lol".

It's like that meme.

nobody:
not a soul:

F car owners: "The IS 500 is a FAKE F car."
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Bechtold (03-14-24), DLPTony (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 11:47 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 946 Likes on 438 Posts

Get one of these plates and pi$$ them off...

The following 2 users liked this post by Bechtold:
DLPTony (03-14-24), G30540i (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 12:13 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 833 Likes on 346 Posts

OK. So what's the deal with the "F" cars? Can someone explain what other goodies the IS500 would have gotten had Lexus wanted to brand it as an " IS500F", for example? Sorry for my ignorance - I don't know the Lexus history on F cars and their exact distinguishing features against their "normal cars". Would making it an F car improve its performance drastically? straight line or otherwise? I understand it would have received a stiffer suspension, which is definitely good , so checkmark there. What else? It certainly would not have received any twin-turbo V8 and any other power plant upgrades I don't think. Would it have received the 10 speed transmission in the LC? The other F cars in the lineup all have the same 8-speed. Better (faster shifting logic) in the software tuning in the transmission? The mechanical components are the same - you can't change the gear ratios through software. Better brakes? that's great. Another checkmark. Again, just my ignorance here around this topic.
Old 03-14-24, 12:22 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 988 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
OK. So what's the deal with the "F" cars? Can someone explain what other goodies the IS500 would have gotten had Lexus wanted to brand it as an " IS500F", for example? Sorry for my ignorance - I don't know the Lexus history on F cars and their exact distinguishing features against their "normal cars". Would making it an F car improve its performance drastically? straight line or otherwise? I understand it would have received a stiffer suspension, which is definitely good , so checkmark there. What else? It certainly would not have received any twin-turbo V8 and any other power plant upgrades I don't think. Would it have received the 10 speed transmission in the LC? The other F cars in the lineup all have the same 8-speed. Better (faster shifting logic) in the software tuning in the transmission? The mechanical components are the same - you can't change the gear ratios through software. Better brakes? that's great. Another checkmark. Again, just my ignorance here around this topic.
Lots of stuff that 90+% of the buyers wouldn't benefit from, including higher price. The last ISF would cost $80k+ in today's Dollars. The 500 performed similarly to the F cars in the lightning lap for C&D, so the gate keeping is just typical Internet BS
The following 4 users liked this post by Kanpai:
DLPTony (03-14-24), Longwaldo (03-14-24), TGPCanada (03-14-24), wfibear (03-16-24)
Old 03-14-24, 12:24 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

The best comparison I can think of, since you seem to have had a BMW before, is the M340i versus the M3. The M340i is not intended to be labeled as a true "M" car, just an "M Performance". F Sport Performance is very much the same thing. F, like on the RC F, is the true performance moniker. It, like an M3, would have better brakes and more cooling than the standard IS models along with more power.

Since the IS 500 has the same engine as the RC F, though, it probably makes getting the "F" car a little less rewarding than it used to be. Even though the RC F's additional cooling, larger brakes, and torque-vectoring differential are absent from the IS 500, I think we all know the engine is a big part of the appeal of the RC F which is now available on a lower-priced, less track-focused car.
TGPCanada (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 12:26 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 988 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The best comparison I can think of, since you seem to have had a BMW before, is the M340i versus the M3. The M340i is not intended to be labeled as a true "M" car, just an "M Performance". F Sport Performance is very much the same thing. F, like on the RC F, is the true performance moniker. It, like an M3, would have better brakes and more cooling than the standard IS models along with more power.

Since the IS 500 has the same engine as the RC F, though, it probably makes getting the "F" car a little less rewarding than it used to be. Even though the RC F's additional cooling, larger brakes, and torque-vectoring differential are absent from the IS 500, I think we all know the engine is a big part of the appeal of the RC F which is now available on a lower-priced, less track-focused car.
It's also similar to the Dodge Scat Packs
Old 03-14-24, 12:26 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

It's a deal only to those who need to "protect" their cars reputation I guess. I would only say what makes the IS 500 not a full "F" car is the lack of additional cooling and uprated brakes like the other full F cars. The most current F cars also had a Torque Vectoring Differential except for the RC F Track/Fuji Editions which got a Torsen diff again. If you look at the 2008-2014 IS F and the 2022+ IS 500, the cooling and brakes are the only downgrade. The IS 500 is to me upgraded in nearly all ways versus the IS F minus those two points. The LC 500 by their definition isn't a true F car. Not like I care. I wanted a 2013-2014 IS F but they are hard to find and their values have generally been maintained over time. Older IS F's without the Torsen diff can be pretty cheap, especially if the mileage is 100k+.

Oh I suppose the last F car thing we are missing is a debatedly "functional" fender vent. I'm quite happy we don't have one myself.

Last edited by Bechtold; 03-14-24 at 12:49 PM.
TGPCanada (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 01:34 PM
303Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

If I step back and am completely honest with myself, I am extremely happy this is not branded an F car. If there was that option, would I want it?....YES!

but reality is I want something I can enjoy everyday then go hit some fun roads, maybe even an occasional track outing. The IS500 suits that perfectly and man is it comfortable to drive but ready to be nimble and quick when I want it.

Better brakes...sure why not. torque vectoring diff...no thanks, I like the Torsen. Fender vents and extra styling...I'd want want, but this is already a BEAUTIFUL car! Higher price...no thanks. Then with all that would make me more likely to let it sit in garage to keep it even more pristine for those perfect days. Ultimately taking away from why I wanted this car to begin with.

I guess you could say I happy with it just the way it is as an IS500 On the thread theme, there are a couple minor nuances but I fully expect those same complaints would be present on a full F version as well.
Bechtold (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 01:44 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you seen the prices on a Torque vectoring differential, which they dont even offer on a RCF anymore. Its like $30k, I am glad we dont have it.
To spec an RCF up to the same lever as an IS500 Premium is about $80k. I like what we get for the money 100%.
The following 2 users liked this post by Longwaldo:
Bechtold (03-14-24), DLPTony (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 08:10 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
Have you seen the prices on a Torque vectoring differential, which they dont even offer on a RCF anymore. Its like $30k, I am glad we dont have it.
To spec an RCF up to the same lever as an IS500 Premium is about $80k. I like what we get for the money 100%.
Yeah 2022 was the last year it was available for the TVD on the RC F. I wonder if they give the RC F a spare tire in the '23 and '24 models. I remembered that in GS F the TVD computer was where the spare tire would be so they gave you a can of pray and spray sealant for your leaky tire. I'm glad we have a Torsen diff and a spare tire.
Longwaldo (03-14-24)

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about your IS500?