IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What do you NOT like about your IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 06:45 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Right, see that is my problem. I would expect the lower gears to be more brutal, but it feels like the reverse is true.
Have you tried 4th gear at the exact same RPM? It could be a low spot in engine power too.
Originally Posted by wthrman2
I am just wondering if your ECU has learned your typical driving habits and maybe, you tend to not be as aggressive in the lower gears? I know you guys hang out alot but maybe next time you guys do a meet, get DLPTony to try it and see what he feels
This is also a possibility. Without even trying my car will shift around 2500-3000 rpm with normal acceleration now. When I first bought it, the car would short shift around 2000 rpm for gas mileage. It finally learned I don't need that 😁 Funny thing is that it shifts at a LOWER rpm in Sport mode than in normal mode! Like the car hasn't applied what it learned to Sport mode, only normal mode.

I'll hit the gas omw to work this morning at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear and see what happens.
Old 04-03-24, 07:04 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,910 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Have you tried 4th gear at the exact same RPM? It could be a low spot in engine power too.

This is also a possibility. Without even trying my car will shift around 2500-3000 rpm with normal acceleration now. When I first bought it, the car would short shift around 2000 rpm for gas mileage. It finally learned I don't need that 😁 Funny thing is that it shifts at a LOWER rpm in Sport mode than in normal mode! Like the car hasn't applied what it learned to Sport mode, only normal mode.

I'll hit the gas omw to work this morning at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear and see what happens.
Cool. Yeah it's possible that it's learned something.

And I think I was at the same RPM or very close. Tried to get to about 3000 or a little over in both gears. Even in 5th gear it felt like the power came on more quickly...
Old 04-03-24, 07:20 AM
95bat
Racer

And I think I was at the same RPM or very close. Tried to get to about 3000 or a little over in both gears. Even in 5th gear it felt like the power came on more quickly...
If you're at the same RPM then I don't know what else it could be other than the car doing something weird.

Some **** was holding me up going 25 mph under the speed limit so I couldn't do much this morning. I will try after work.
Old 04-03-24, 08:52 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,892 Posts

I am just wondering if your ECU has learned your typical driving habits and maybe, you tend to not be as aggressive in the lower gears? I know you guys hang out alot but maybe next time you guys do a meet, get DLPTony to try it and see what he feels
The learning software is no joke. I would be kind of embarrassed for someone to drive Blu. In auto mode it rev hangs like a MF’er, basically saying: “Yeah…uh huh…I know you. There will be NO upshifting.” 😈

So I have to switch it into manual to go up the necessary gear. 😎
The following 3 users liked this post by DLPTony:
HighRevs (04-04-24), phoenix888 (04-05-24), wthrman2 (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 10:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by DLPTony
The learning software is no joke. I would be kind of embarrassed for someone to drive Blu. In auto mode it rev hangs like a MF’er, basically saying: “Yeah…uh huh…I know you. There will be NO upshifting.” 😈

So I have to switch it into manual to go up the necessary gear. 😎
On mine it is grandpa-mode most of the time, but it does occasionally hold gears in specific situations. For instance, I've found that if I approach an intersection to turn right while accelerating, it'll hold second or third gear until I've accelerated a bit onto the street. This also happens sometimes with roundabouts. But normally it doesn't hold a gear at all in auto mode unless I am in Sport/S+ and driving aggressively.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (04-04-24)
Old 04-03-24, 10:31 AM
95bat
Racer

^^^ Mine does that on round abouts too. I think it just angles the car into thinking it's an aggressive corner when it's not. There's a sloped street near my mom's house that makes my car hold the gear every single time (I'm making a left hand turn) even though I'm going really slow.
Old 04-03-24, 10:43 AM
carlosclarkmd
Driver

Received 112 Likes on 38 Posts

^^ I agree but my wife has noticed my right arm becoming a bit more stronger and bigger - She thinks it's because of me always working it out to switch from normal to sport+ . I will let her think that until she browses my internet cookies (lol)

But to be honest Carlos - up until you mentioned this, I never really thought about that. It would have been such a good option to have a memorized setting for the sport modes. I don't have a car with start/stop technology but that would be another thing I would want a hard physical switch to not have to turn on/off everytime
Yes, I totally agree! It remembers the heated and cooled seat settings (which I don't like). So you'd think remembering the sport modes would be a no brainer.
The following 4 users liked this post by carlosclarkmd:
DLPTony (04-04-24), HighRevs (04-04-24), HydrantHunter (04-07-24), wthrman2 (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 11:15 AM
mastershibe
Driver

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a theory for this - there are 2 hidden modes.
Normally, the car starts in mode A. When you bury the pedal in Sport/Sport+, it kicks over to mode B, and starts a timer.
Any sudden/drastic changes in the accelerator input cause the timer to be reset.
If you don't drive it aggressively, the timer will reach its limit around 10-20 seconds and it'll return to mode A.

I think this timeout period is longer in Sport+.
Old 04-03-24, 12:30 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mastershibe
I have a theory for this - there are 2 hidden modes.
Normally, the car starts in mode A. When you bury the pedal in Sport/Sport+, it kicks over to mode B, and starts a timer.
Any sudden/drastic changes in the accelerator input cause the timer to be reset.
If you don't drive it aggressively, the timer will reach its limit around 10-20 seconds and it'll return to mode A.

I think this timeout period is longer in Sport+.
Oh, absolutely. The car definitely, as I like to say, wakes up if you start hammering the throttle and/or taking corners quickly in Sport S/S+. But there seems to be an even more special mode in S+ where it'll just about go to redline even if I am not foot-to-the-floor. I only ever see this come up if I am in the twisties pushing the car reasonably hard. Even if I am not burying the pedal, it'll kick over to this mode if I am cornering aggressively in S+.

I like this, so probably not supposed to be discussed in this thread lol. I know some have complained that it takes too long for the car to get its act together and recognize spirited driving is in progress, which is fair - feels like it should recognize it after the first couple turns lol.
DLPTony (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 09:49 AM
95bat
Racer

I finally had some open road today. Manual mode, 3rd gear, exactly 3,000 rpm. I floored it and there is a slight delay, but not much. I heard the intake open and then the car started pulling less than a second later. It doesn't pull hard at that gear/rpm, but no big delay.
Old 04-04-24, 05:08 PM
RubyV8
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts

On mine it is grandpa-mode most of the time, but it does occasionally hold gears in specific situations. For instance, I've found that if I approach an intersection to turn right while accelerating, it'll hold second or third gear until I've accelerated a bit onto the street. This also happens sometimes with roundabouts. But normally it doesn't hold a gear at all in auto mode unless I am in Sport/S+ and driving aggressively.
haha mine does it occasionally on a left from an intersection
Old 04-11-24, 01:00 AM
MyGlorifiedCamry
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mark LevinSUCKS

Proud owner of an IS500 last week after driving Nissan for for over 10 years. I had a Maxima, G37’s, and than a Q60 red sport. The IS500 has pros over the Q60 but holy hell, what Toyota has gotten away with in this sound system is almost criminal. I’ve seen similar complaints on the forum but didn’t know it was this bad. I had to spend some time playing with the fader, balance, and treble. When I switch to Sirius XM from Apple CarPlay just forget about it.

Even listening to a sound system outside of my Bose Performance Series in my Q60, Bang and Olufsen in an Audi, or a base trim Fiat product it’s better than this crap. What makes it worse was I used to work in car rental and have been in almost every manufacturer and for a luxury car to be on the level of a Jeep Compass is outrageous.

If you or a loved one has listened to a Mark Levinson sound system in an IS500 you may be entitled to financial compensation. Lol.
mhh500 (04-13-24)
Old 04-11-24, 04:43 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FlawdaMan
Proud owner of an IS500 last week after driving Nissan for for over 10 years. I had a Maxima, G37’s, and than a Q60 red sport. The IS500 has pros over the Q60 but holy hell, what Toyota has gotten away with in this sound system is almost criminal. I’ve seen similar complaints on the forum but didn’t know it was this bad. I had to spend some time playing with the fader, balance, and treble. When I switch to Sirius XM from Apple CarPlay just forget about it.

Even listening to a sound system outside of my Bose Performance Series in my Q60, Bang and Olufsen in an Audi, or a base trim Fiat product it’s better than this crap. What makes it worse was I used to work in car rental and have been in almost every manufacturer and for a luxury car to be on the level of a Jeep Compass is outrageous.

If you or a loved one has listened to a Mark Levinson sound system in an IS500 you may be entitled to financial compensation. Lol.
a lot of people count it as one of the best systems around with a lot of reviewers using it as a bench mark for quality. I find it fine to good. I guess people have different tastes.
P22Tyler (04-11-24)
Old 04-11-24, 04:50 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 988 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
a lot of people count it as one of the best systems around with a lot of reviewers using it as a bench mark for quality. I find it fine to good. I guess people have different tastes.
Throttle House, for example, claims it's one of the best they tested. I personally think it's great for the music I listen to (EDM, rap, rock)
P22Tyler (04-11-24)
Old 04-11-24, 04:54 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 484 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
I agree, for an oem radio, I dont mind it. Im coming from a tacoma, now that radio was an absolute joke.

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about your IS500?