IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What do you NOT like about your IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 11:05 PM
MoltenDebt
Driver

Received 178 Likes on 50 Posts

Reading all the comments, I agree with almost everything here. Was even reminded of a couple things I forgot I didn't like XD

Interior/Ergonomics/Body:

1) No logical place for your sunglasses or phone except for the cupholders. Really wish they deleted the trackpad for a cubby or wireless charger.
2) The center console hinges back? Why does it not hinge right like on the ES? I'm the driver! I look like a T-rex when I reach in there with my right hand.
3) USB connection does not like my old iPod. When I got to Artists or Albums it just selects... the same one album. I can't look at anything else. I can only go to Songs and hit random to access all my music.
4) One-touch unlock only unlocks driver's door and trunk. Have to use the controls on the armrest of the fob to unlock all doors. I usually am alone but this is annoying.
5) Is there a way to stop the engine from shutting off when I open the door after having used remote start? I don't understand this design.
6) Auto-folding mirrors would be nice, and a courtesy to other people in tight parking situations.
7) This one is probably the worst for me: the Camera View button is in a completely illogical location. I love the function but always have to LOOK DOWN to find the damn button that should be literally anywhere else.

Driving:

1) The kickdown when you, say, want to beat a stale yellow light, is tough to regulate. Sometimes when I give it throttle, maybe I'll jump down two gears, or once in a while I'll embarrass myself in town and it'll kick down five gears and the engine will just SCREAM at all of 45 miles per hour.
2) I like that the brakes aren't overly sensitive and unnatural like a lot of Toyota products, but man, when you're at speed and need to slow down, it REALLY could use more braking power. The brakes can't seem to overcome the full use of the power when needed.
3) Wish there was an option for 18" OEM wheels, these tires are borderline rubber bands, and when I hit any dip or pothole I just clench up.

My plans are to do more research on the USB issue (may just put music on a stick or God forbid burn some CDs), get used to putting sunglasses in the door card, and just get over everything else. I didn't pay for a GS-F or LC500 and I shall live with the consequences

Old 06-11-23, 03:48 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Nice lists Molten & Dig.

I totally forgot to mention the mirrors and tires! Although it’s pedestrian as hell to manually fold in mirrors, the most egregious of missteps are the OEM Bridgestones. I absolutely detested their performance and at 7K miles, replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S brand.

World. Of. Difference.

By the way, I still have the OEMs if someone wants to pick them up for free! 😎

The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Fman2118 (06-13-23), IS500SM (06-16-23)
Old 06-11-23, 08:40 AM
CplClegg
Driver

Received 174 Likes on 49 Posts

I can't disagree with most of your opinions @MoltenDebt, a lot of those things are bothersome. Although your interior number 4 problem with door locks is a programmable setting.
My number one is the seats, I was warned on this forum about them due to my height and decided on an IS over a GSF anyway. . The seats are too small I have this same complaint with my LX470.
Number two is the general lack of interior storage space, I have grown more fond on the track pad much to my own surprise but it would be better used as storage.
Number three is gotta be the kick down feature of the accelerator pedal, the general programming of the transmission isn't too bad if you go in with real world expectations of the different drive modes. It's just odd to get use too and it's unnatural to try and modulate the pedal without being what feels like at WOT or 70% no in-between.
Overall I really enjoy the car and what it is, coming from the LS430 space and comfort is an obvious disappointment but you get what you pay for and those problems fade away around 5500rpm.
The following users liked this post:
MoltenDebt (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 10:03 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CplClegg
Number three is gotta be the kick down feature of the accelerator pedal, the general programming of the transmission isn't too bad if you go in with real world expectations of the different drive modes. It's just odd to get use too and it's unnatural to try and modulate the pedal without being what feels like at WOT or 70% no in-between.
This is why I drive in manual, Sport+, and higher RPMs over 95% of the time. My gas mileage is crap, but it’s worth not dealing with the transmission’s mapping and other idiosyncrasies.
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
CplClegg (06-11-23), Fman2118 (06-13-23)
Old 06-11-23, 03:35 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 974 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
This is why I drive in manual, Sport+, and higher RPMs over 95% of the time. My gas mileage is crap, but it’s worth not dealing with the transmission’s mapping and other idiosyncrasies.
Sport+ usually will keep the RPMs higher for a longer period of time on its own (usually about 3k). Unless mine is "learning" that THAT is the sweetspot to drive like a gorilla.
DLPTony (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 03:36 PM
RubyV8
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by trippleB
Two major dissatisfaction so far:

1. The way how the engine/transmission are tuned makes the car prefer to stay in the 2k-3k rpm range so badly, unless I really push it hard by almost flooring the gas pedal. The torque of this V8 is insufficient below 3k rpm - I have owned or driven almost all mainstream V8 sedans/coupes in the past decade, this 2UR-GSE + 8AT combination is one of the V8 powertrains that does not give me the feel of a V8. It reminds me the experience of driving the old Crown Victoria/Grand Maqruis. If I push it harder, it suddenly "explodes" and revs up wildly towards the redline, I do feel the power at this time but this defeats the purpose of a V8, because the only reason I want the V8 is for its broad torque plateau, especially the feel of enormous torque at low rpm. Rev up to get torque and power is what I expect for those 4-cyl cars instead.

2. The seat back: its shape is too "concave", when I lean on it, it makes me sort of "hunchbacked". I understand different people have different body shapes, I hope Lexus can provide more adjustable areas to fit driver's body contour.
agreed, and get rid of the trackpad. I don’t three sets of redundant buttons.
Old 06-11-23, 04:28 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kanpai
Sport+ usually will keep the RPMs higher for a longer period of time on its own (usually about 3k). Unless mine is "learning" that THAT is the sweetspot to drive like a gorilla.
It will, but I’ve caught it flat footed one time too many. Have you driven the 2nd Gen IS350 in ECT PWR mode? The gas pedal is so responsive (Others call it touchy. :-) ), it’s like driving an EV. Or better yet, like the TYCO electric race car sets we had as kids. I drove my ‘06 for 8 years in that setting and the IS500 (in manual & sport+) feels very close. Add in V8 power and vroom-gotdern-vroom!
Old 06-12-23, 12:25 AM
EdLLexus
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front seats are very uncomfortable.
Old 06-12-23, 08:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by EdLLexus
Oh goodness. I have seen a lot of division on the opinions of the front seats. But everyone I've personally had in my car, including myself, has been a fan of the front seats. The REAR seats, on the other hand, are a little tight. I am a smaller guy, width-wise, anyway, so I fit fine. But if you're tall or wide, the back seats are cramped. But up front, I love the front seats to death. They are very comfy yet well-bolstered. Lexus achieved a Goldilocks balance with these seats if you ask me.

My rear sunshade rattles, so there's that. I dislike that aspect. Having it looked at during my first oil change.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
DLPTony (06-12-23), StillSo42 (06-12-23)
Old 06-12-23, 09:00 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Oh goodness. I have seen a lot of division on the opinions of the front seats. But everyone I've personally had in my car, including myself, has been a fan of the front seats. The REAR seats, on the other hand, are a little tight. I am a smaller guy, width-wise, anyway, so I fit fine. But if you're tall or wide, the back seats are cramped. But up front, I love the front seats to death. They are very comfy yet well-bolstered. Lexus achieved a Goldilocks balance with these seats if you ask me.
Same. I weight-lift and my shoulders are on the broader side, but the seats fit me as well. I have no idea what the backseats are like. 😎
Old 06-12-23, 09:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Same. I weight-lift and my shoulders are on the broader side, but the seats fit me as well. I have no idea what the backseats are like. 😎
I haven't been a backseat passenger in mine, but I've sat in it a few times either to clean or out of curiosity.

One thing that does occasionally rear its head as well is the lack of an adaptive/extendable sun visor. Last night I was out driving, and the sun was coming at me from the side a few times such that I couldn't block it with the sun visor. It's rare, but this does happen.
Old 06-12-23, 10:02 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I find the IS seats to be some of the most comfortable seats I've had in a car.
The following 5 users liked this post by AmbyBomb:
arentz07 (06-12-23), bbong (11-13-23), Bechtold (06-12-23), IS500SM (06-16-23), TGPCanada (06-12-23)
Old 06-12-23, 10:32 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
I find the IS seats to be some of the most comfortable seats I've had in a car.
I miss my GS350 seats that had thigh extension, adjustable of the upper angle and adjustable side bolsters(BMW 5 series had same adjustments). However since i'm only 5'10" and 180lbs the IS seats fit me just fine. However i can see how the lack of adjustability will be an issue for many body types.
Old 06-12-23, 12:53 PM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EdLLexus
And you still bought it? 😩😩
Carolina50 (06-12-23)
Old 06-12-23, 12:59 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 974 Likes on 465 Posts

Yup, I'm a thiccboi and long drives don't bother me at all
DLPTony (06-12-23)

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about your IS500?