IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

What do you NOT like about your IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 08:10 AM
SonicRob99
Pit Crew

Received 428 Likes on 126 Posts

First off, nothing about the car that I hate. If I had to complain about something, like everyone I wish the transmission was a little smoother on the downshifts when casually commuting around town. Also I wish the programming didn’t short shift even when in sport mode — feels odd to be in sport giving it heavier than normal throttle from a stop light and under acceleration that 2nd gear shifts at like 2,500 rpms and into 3rd way too early. None of this is a deal breaker, just minor annoyances and behaves much differently than my ISF did (presumably in the interest of fuel efficiency).

List of improvements, not dislikes, but what I would have improved if I was on the design team. All of these have aftermarket solutions but I would have liked them from the factory:

- Louder exhaust. I’m fine with the normal mode, keeps neighbors happy, but Sport mode should have some sort of variable/valved feature that opened her up and made her sing when the moment arises to get out and drive spirited.
- Stance, coming from a pre-revision ISF I can appreciate the blend of comfort and sport with our suspension but I would love to see the 500’s fender gap closed and sit at least an inch lower, purely for aesthetics.
- Brakes do feel just a tad soft, again, I’m coming from an ISF so I have to temper my expectations with respect to brakes. They are adequate.
- Remote start turning off the car upon entry defeats the purpose to me. Once I’m the car and the fob is detected, let’s just buckle and go. Not shut it off so I have to instantly restart it. Nitpicky, but there it is. I’m just glad they didn’t include the auto engine start-stop nonsense that has to be disabled in every other car on the market every time you start it.

List of additions: Wireless carplay and charging (in place of obsolete track pad), auto-folding mirrors. That’s really about it. I would say a 6MT option but I know that’s never happening lol.

Much longer list of things I love about the car and am very satisfied with my purchase!
The following 2 users liked this post by SonicRob99:
Alive639 (06-15-23), arentz07 (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 08:44 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by SonicRob99
- Remote start turning off the car upon entry defeats the purpose to me. Once I’m the car and the fob is detected, let’s just buckle and go. Not shut it off so I have to instantly restart it. Nitpicky, but there it is. I’m just glad they didn’t include the auto engine start-stop nonsense that has to be disabled in every other car on the market every time you start it.
I thought this was weird too. It turns out it's a safety feature so people can't steal the car. At least that's what my salesman told me during PDI and the walkthrough tutorial.
Old 06-14-23, 08:45 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 946 Likes on 438 Posts

I had a realization this week. When coming to a stop and that last few mph before you stop and the engine downshifts kind of clunky reminds me of the single clutch transmission in the LFA when in auto mode. Having driven that in a residential-ish area and coming to a stop and hearing the gear shift actuators make robo noises and the clunk, kind of reminds me of the 8 speed auto in our cars. So it's another LFA inspired feature?
Old 06-14-23, 09:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,910 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
I had a realization this week. When coming to a stop and that last few mph before you stop and the engine downshifts kind of clunky reminds me of the single clutch transmission in the LFA when in auto mode. Having driven that in a residential-ish area and coming to a stop and hearing the gear shift actuators make robo noises and the clunk, kind of reminds me of the 8 speed auto in our cars. So it's another LFA inspired feature?
I like the positivity!

I do think Lexus was purposefully trying to inject some of that flavor into the cars - and just enough to where it is noticeable without offending drivers who just want to drive normally.

Especially the gauge cluster. They didn't have to do that. I love it though.
The following users liked this post:
Bechtold (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 10:40 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

In no particular order:

Cold transmission clunking during stops
No wireless ApplePlay
No autofold side mirrors
Turn signal reset can be overly sensitive at times
Rear cross-traffic detection braking can be overly sensitive at times
Key fob range is limited
Old 06-14-23, 11:27 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 946 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by SonicRob99
Every Lexus does this and I suspect Toyota with remote start. I understand the security reason for it but it is still a weird thing to me.
Old 06-14-23, 12:44 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,201 Likes on 357 Posts

I wish the 500 even though not a actual "F" made the beep sound on redline like the ISF.
Old 06-14-23, 01:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Moonman89
I wish the 500 even though not a actual "F" made the beep sound on redline like the ISF.
Oh please no. I hate that. I wanna hear the V-8.

Maybe if it could be turned off, I'd be fine with it.
Bechtold (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 02:12 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 775 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Oh please no. I hate that. I wanna hear the V-8.

Maybe if it could be turned off, I'd be fine with it.
Agreed. They gave us the option to change the tachometer from white/black to orange at a customizable RPM which is more than enough of a shift indicator for me.
Bechtold (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 06:06 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonman89
Oh no, that would drive me batcrap crazy! 😂

The issues posted about the remote start are interesting. I use it for the sole purpose of getting the engine up to temp. Start it 10 minutes before you’re ready to go and the 500’s performance will be optimal.
Old 06-14-23, 07:32 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

I waited a long as I could to drop this bomb... I do not like the power... I want twin turbskis attached to my V8! 😁

Flame on, let me have it lol
Old 06-15-23, 03:14 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ That is not a flaming statement, that is a full banning statement!! Lmao j/k
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
arentz07 (06-15-23), Bechtold (06-15-23), DLPTony (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 04:50 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I waited a long as I could to drop this bomb... I do not like the power... I want twin turbskis attached to my V8! 😁

LOL!! With great power, Tony has NO responsibility. You can keep your Twin Turbo’ed V8, I don’t need access to Zero To Jail power. To hell with that madness! 😂

Originally Posted by wthrman2
LOL!! Let him have it, we’ll bring him a cake with a file in it. 😈
arentz07 (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 05:57 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
🤣🤣🤣
Originally Posted by DLPTony
LOL!! With great power, Tony has NO responsibility. You can keep your Twin Turbo’ed V8, I don’t need access to Zero To Jail power. To hell with that madness! 😂

LOL!! Let him have it, we’ll bring him a cake with a file in it. 😈
I'd be in the same boat!! LOL!! We can be cellmates! But it would be the best way to wind up in jail 😁
DLPTony (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 06:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 95bat

It's part of the charm. Or at least, that's what journalists say...

I will say it's possible to catch this engine flat-footed due to 2nd gear being a bit long, but it isn't like it ever feels underpowered. It's just got a peaky overall nature because it's an NA engine that doesn't have oodles of displacement. But I'd imagine it's also not as peaky as, for instance, the engine in an E92 M3.
DLPTony (06-15-23)

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about your IS500?