IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Opinions & experience on wheel protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 05:51 PM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 251 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Opinions & experience on wheel protection

Hey guys. So I’m slightly paranoid that the BBS wheels will get curbed at some point. It happens. I can buy an aftermarket wheel appearance protection coverage for under $1000.

But then it seems like these forged wheels can be repaired relatively inexpensively, if it ever did happen.

What has been your experience? I’m always skeptical of add on coverages, for anything, but the wheel coverage seems like it would pay for itself—not sure though. If it was a sure bet to pay for itself, it wouldn’t be offered right?!
Old 06-21-23, 10:44 PM
BaileyBIRD
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never purchased any wheel and tire protection until this vehicle. Since it was offered directly from Lexus and they don’t repair tires (they only replace) and cover the wheel repair for any damage/replacement I figured why not- the BBS wheels aren’t inexpensive so to me a little less than the $1k I paid seemed like cheap insurance to me. I hope I never have to use it but the peace of mind was worth it.
Old 06-23-23, 07:08 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

cheaper to repair curb rash on your own and the 360 cams really help avoid curb rash when the car is new to you and you're still figuring out its' dimensions. You have spare tire so any tire puncture damage of riding on the tire can be avoided. Since the rim is black any curb rash may stick out like a sore thumb. Also the matte paint on BBS seems a bit custom with a blue tint. Lots to consider.

I did buy the wheel and tire protection one time and it was on a 2012 BMW 5 Series that had stiff suspension and run flats with Msport wheels. It was a strategic move i calculated and it ended up paying off as those tires were garbage and I ended up saving a ton of money after sidewall bubbles, punctures and pothole damage cost a fortune on those since no patch option. After warranty ran out I had to order my own tires and find an indy shop as most chains won't swap out runflats.
Old 06-23-23, 10:03 AM
abdrury
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
cheaper to repair curb rash on your own and the 360 cams really help avoid curb rash.
Yeah, good take. If I did curb a wheel, I’m sure repair would be less than the policy and it would be the last time I curbed a wheel! Now if it was someone else’s daily <cough>wife<cough> then maybe I’d be worried. But I do ok being careful.
The following users liked this post:
Nexus713 (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 10:18 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by abdrury
Hey guys. So I’m slightly paranoid that the BBS wheels will get curbed at some point. It happens. I can buy an aftermarket wheel appearance protection coverage for under $1000.

But then it seems like these forged wheels can be repaired relatively inexpensively, if it ever did happen.

What has been your experience? I’m always skeptical of add on coverages, for anything, but the wheel coverage seems like it would pay for itself—not sure though. If it was a sure bet to pay for itself, it wouldn’t be offered right?!
Even if you are buying with a new car from a dealer make sure that you are clear on what is covered. Lexus Dealers can sell any warranty service etc that they like and not just approved by Lexus. I had a Ford Tire and Wheel package. When I brought it in for repair they wanted to charge be an extra $200 as the insurance company wouldn't pay the full amount. I told them to go away, as I had purchased the car and warranty from them. They sucked up the cost.
Old 06-23-23, 07:08 PM
RubyV8
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by abdrury

be careful with wheel cleaner. Even the Meguiars Black Matte cleaner to me was rubbing off the matte finish. Never using again. I also curbed my right wheel but not sure Lexus can fix under tire warranty.
Old 06-24-23, 05:09 AM
abdrury
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
Even if you are buying with a new car from a dealer make sure that you are clear on what is covered.
Exactly! I read the fine print (which, btw, both the dealer and the company were dumbfounded that I needed to under stand the terms ) and it doesn’t cover replacement. Makes me feel like it’s only good for curb rashes which I wouldn’t get more than one or two because I’d be super paranoid after doing it a time or two.

Originally Posted by RubyV8
be careful with wheel cleaner. Even the Meguiars Black Matte cleaner to me was rubbing off the matte finish.
Thanks for the heads-up! So far just damp rags to wipe them down.
Longwaldo (06-24-23)
Old 06-26-23, 10:58 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

[QUOTE=abdrury;11530207]Exactly! I read the fine print (which, btw, both the dealer and the company were dumbfounded that I needed to under stand the terms ) and it doesn’t cover replacement. Makes me feel like it’s only good for curb rashes which I wouldn’t get more than one or two because I’d be super paranoid after doing it a time or two.

I actually have the wheel protection package from Longo Lexus. I'm not sure how other dealers do it but with my protection package, it came with windshield repair (which is meh imo), wheel repair or replace if its bent, paintless dent repair and tire replacement regardless if the foreign object punctured the tire or not. I dont think it was necessary for me to have the package as I do know and have contacts for majority of these things. However, things do happen and sometimes some repairs are hard/costly so I'm just airing on the side of safety

Longwaldo (06-27-23)
Old 06-29-23, 10:04 AM
beach109
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I always get it, no matter what, on any new car. Tires are covered, wheels are covered. And? Trade early or sell early? Great. It's a pro-rated coverage you can cancel and get a refund back from, in that case, which I have multiple times over. Better safe than sorry.

Never have seen an aftermarket wheel protection coverage. Where did you find this, and who is it through? That's different than buying it when the car is new, but an interesting option. More details?
Old 06-29-23, 10:24 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by beach109
I always get it, no matter what, on any new car. Tires are covered, wheels are covered. And? Trade early or sell early? Great. It's a pro-rated coverage you can cancel and get a refund back from, in that case, which I have multiple times over. Better safe than sorry.

Never have seen an aftermarket wheel protection coverage. Where did you find this, and who is it through? That's different than buying it when the car is new, but an interesting option. More details?
i think it depends on the tire profile, size and quality. Some tires are $600 each one so it can pay for itself very quickly. But if you're rocking 250 dollar tires on a honda CRV it's not worth it. Chances of sidewall damage is low and repairability is cheap. You'll come out ahead simply replacing or repairing on your own dime.
Old 06-29-23, 01:07 PM
abdrury
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beach109
Sure! I believe you can walk into any dealership and buy a coverage. I’m this case I asked my mom who used to be a Finance Mgr. at a dealership. She referred me to the Chevy dealer she now works for. All they need to do is inspect the car for preexisting damage and fill out a form and collect payment.
Old 06-30-23, 06:08 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 358 Likes on 158 Posts

just take your time parking, learned my lesson after curbing 2 set of rims out of the 4 on the 350 lol, now i just take my time and use the auto fold down mirrors
Old 07-01-23, 10:06 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
just take your time parking, learned my lesson after curbing 2 set of rims out of the 4 on the 350 lol, now i just take my time and use the auto fold down mirrors
When I curbed my IS350 wheel, it was at work. Some lady wasnt paying attention entering the parking structure. Almost hitting me head on. I swerved to avoid her but my rear wheel kissed the curb. I was out about $200 on the repair. Also learned that these wheels are hard to paint match due to the fact they are considered "black chrome"
Old 08-02-23, 05:08 PM
Ceten
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

A little late to this party, but: I always buy the wheel protection package from Lexus. Actually I get the "platinum" or whatever the top tier one is that includes wheels, tires, and paintless dent repair. Curbing your wheels is not the only way to damage them. I've had my IS500 for about 2 months now and I've already used it to replace my left front tire - I hit a MONSTER pothole that I couldn't avoid and the sidewall ruptured. Thankfully the tire absorbed all of the impact; I had Lexus do a full inspection of the wheel, suspension, and alignment. There was a little minor cosmetic damage on the inside of the wheel, but that's it. So I've already "saved" about $300, hopefully the rest of the package is a waste.
Longwaldo (08-02-23)
Old 08-03-23, 01:48 PM
beach109
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceten
A little late to this party, but: I always buy the wheel protection package from Lexus. Actually I get the "platinum" or whatever the top tier one is that includes wheels, tires, and paintless dent repair. Curbing your wheels is not the only way to damage them. I've had my IS500 for about 2 months now and I've already used it to replace my left front tire - I hit a MONSTER pothole that I couldn't avoid and the sidewall ruptured. Thankfully the tire absorbed all of the impact; I had Lexus do a full inspection of the wheel, suspension, and alignment. There was a little minor cosmetic damage on the inside of the wheel, but that's it. So I've already "saved" about $300, hopefully the rest of the package is a waste.
And if needed again, you're still safe. Good move.

Quick Reply: Opinions & experience on wheel protection