IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

TH C63S Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 06:51 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

That seems typical... "oh yeah save the planet snd use less fuel with our 4 banger hybrid" and at the same time "oh yeah make a $100k car with 5700 pounds of materials that will be junk in 5 years" totally makes sense 🙄

But I digress... Why do we think they're not built to be more reliable? At $100k is it still for cost saving? Poorly engineered? Unreliable by design to force new purchases?
The following users liked this post:
jororo (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 11:15 AM
Velocistar
Driver School Candidate

Received 41 Likes on 12 Posts

The new Mercedes are a true fall from grace of the early 90s tanks they were building. Feels like they have fully embraced the “influencer” look with extremely tacky interiors and neon lights and screens everywhere. It only fully solidifies the point that these vehicles are designed with a finite lifecycle and planned obsolescence. Can you imagine how bad those interiors will look 4 years from now when even better and more responsive screen technology makes its way to cars?

This whole technology centric focus of the Germans has really marked their noticeable decline in my opinion. The more technology you shove into a car and the more you center the experience of the car around the technology the quicker the car will become useless. I mean who even uses computers from 2009 now, but I still see IS Fs on the road!
Old 07-05-23, 04:32 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 278 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocistar
The new Mercedes are a true fall from grace of the early 90s tanks they were building. Feels like they have fully embraced the “influencer” look with extremely tacky interiors and neon lights and screens everywhere. It only fully solidifies the point that these vehicles are designed with a finite lifecycle and planned obsolescence. Can you imagine how bad those interiors will look 4 years from now when even better and more responsive screen technology makes its way to cars?

This whole technology centric focus of the Germans has really marked their noticeable decline in my opinion. The more technology you shove into a car and the more you center the experience of the car around the technology the quicker the car will become useless. I mean who even uses computers from 2009 now, but I still see IS Fs on the road!
That's why I fear for the new generation of cars in general and not just the Germans, I've heard the NX system isn't that great either. Wish they would stop with the touchscreen and piano black. I like my "old" interior.
The following 2 users liked this post by Renault:
Bechtold (07-05-23), DLPTony (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 05:06 PM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 251 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocistar
Can you imagine how bad those interiors will look 4 years from now when even better and more responsive screen technology makes its way to cars?
Yep, there’s a lot to be said for timelessness. Chasing fads has never been my thing and maybe that’s another reason I enjoy this IS platform.

Last edited by abdrury; 07-05-23 at 05:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by abdrury:
Bechtold (07-05-23), DLPTony (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 05:24 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by abdrury
Yep, there’s a lot to be said for timelessness. Chasing fads has never been my thing and maybe that’s another reason I enjoy this IS platform.
I read/watched something about Koenigsegg (I think) where they said they specifically do not put screens in their vehicles for this exact reason. The screen dates the car and they want their cars to remain timeless. It might have been another high end Koenigsegg-like company, but same idea.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
Bechtold (07-05-23), DLPTony (07-06-23)
Old 07-05-23, 07:30 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I read/watched something about Koenigsegg (I think) where they said they specifically do not put screens in their vehicles for this exact reason. The screen dates the car and they want their cars to remain timeless. It might have been another high end Koenigsegg-like company, but same idea.
For some reason want to say it was Bugatti that took this approach but either way your point is spot on. Would love if more followed this logic even if they just flip & folded away the screen(s) like the designers of the original IS knew to do 20+ years ago.

Instead the recent interior design trend is to just stuff a graphic designer’s cubicle worth of monitors in front of and near a driver’s seat. Hideous stuff even before it’s dated AF.
The following users liked this post:
Bechtold (07-05-23)
Old 07-06-23, 03:28 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
…but either way your point is spot on.
Agreed…spot on. Many in the Luxo world went full touchscreen to claim the ‘We are modern!’ moniker and people snatched them up. Toyota sat back and watched, fast forward a few years and the pendulum swung back to physical buttons. At least every other review seems to point out the inclusion of physical buttons these days. Ironically, they helped to drive its demise in the first place! Oy vey. 🫣🤦🏽‍♂️
Old 07-07-23, 08:59 AM
celsior0
Driver

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by subtl
I do stand corrected. The C63S is a V8. All along I thought it was a V6TT lol. Yea I really loved the w204. one of my buddies had the black series w204. He took real good care of that car but ended up putting it on BAT. The moments he did drive it spirited, it was amazing.
ya it’s a 4.0 turbo 8 but the new upcoming C63 will have a turbo 4 banger yikes no thanks to heck with 4s