IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

TH C63S Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-23, 02:28 PM
Vinnigan
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TH C63S Review

And this video is why the IS500 is worth every penny, and then some more:

It's also why I've left the Germans after almost 20 years of giving them $$$. Not sure what's in the water over there these days, but they keep making turd after turd, including the latest M3/M4, which TH actually gave some praise to.

Get them while you still can, boys. Toyota is axing the 2UR-GSE as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vinnigan:
DLPTony (07-05-23), jororo (07-01-23)
Old 07-01-23, 04:32 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

I guess MB cars are doing as well as MB F1 where the tech came from

Time to go buy a Red Bull car? LOL

That seems like the polar opposite of the IS 500... tech out the wazoo, 4 banger, hybrid, ultra stiff, and NOT ENJOYABLE!
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
DLPTony (07-05-23), Velocistar (07-05-23)
Old 07-01-23, 09:36 PM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

I watched that video on Thursday and thought the same thing. $95k+ pricing? Yikes. Mercedes used to have great V8's but now they have a nearly 4700 pound (I liked the F-150 pickup weight comparison) sedan with touch everything interior. What a fat pig, Yuck! Despite the hybrid it has huge turbo lag? Many if I wanted to experience huge turbo lag I'd put a T88 or something on my Supra. What is the point of the Hybrid? This is why I grabbed a V8 Lexus IS while I still can because I intend for this to be a long car relationship, like my Supra. (21+ years and counting).

Nerd Bonus - Did anyone get the "sand" commentary or the why? I laughed so hard on that one.

Last edited by Bechtold; 07-01-23 at 09:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bechtold:
04gita (07-03-23), phoenix888 (07-06-23)
Old 07-01-23, 09:52 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

I had actually watched that review. Funny thing was growing up I always wanted a C63, the previous generation with the V8. Those things were brutal. I also went to Carmax and test drove the C63S (6 cylinfder turbo), it was cool but far from what I had hope for. The new C63SE has worried for the future of AMG. I like other intend on keeping my IS500 for a long time. One of the last V8s from Lexus/Toyota. I'm not one for tech. Its like what I told someone at a C&C, if I was after tech or a more advanced car, I would've gotten a M340i. But when I drove one it felt lifeless. Its fast but the drivers feel isnt there for me. The IS500 is far more fun for me. The car just feels alive in a way.
The following 2 users liked this post by subtl:
Bechtold (07-02-23), celsior0 (07-07-23)
Old 07-01-23, 09:57 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Nerd Bonus - Did anyone get the "sand" commentary or the why? I laughed so hard on that one.
That one actually got a good laugh out of me. I love Star Wars humor lol
The following users liked this post:
Bechtold (07-02-23)
Old 07-01-23, 11:05 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by subtl
I had actually watched that review. Funny thing was growing up I always wanted a C63, the previous generation with the V8. Those things were brutal. I also went to Carmax and test drove the C63S (6 cylinfder turbo), it was cool but far from what I had hope for. The new C63SE has worried for the future of AMG. I like other intend on keeping my IS500 for a long time. One of the last V8s from Lexus/Toyota. I'm not one for tech. Its like what I told someone at a C&C, if I was after tech or a more advanced car, I would've gotten a M340i. But when I drove one it felt lifeless. Its fast but the drivers feel isnt there for me. The IS500 is far more fun for me. The car just feels alive in a way.
I don't think it was ever a 6 cylinder. The W204 was an NA, 6.2 L V8, and the W205 was a turbocharged, 4.0 L V8. The C43 was a V6.

I had a W204, and the engine was a thing of beauty. It made gobs of torque from 2000 RPM or so to redline, great throttle response and smooth as butter. Too bad the suspension was rough. That engine is a car like the IS500 would be perfect.

​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 07-01-23, 11:34 PM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't say that I would buy one, but I understand the shift to smaller engines. If they can get 3.3 sec to 60 from this powerplant that's great engineering. I don't really have a problem with the weight if any sedans on the market. It's needed today because everything else on the road is a truck or UV if sorts.

I'm sure they will sell everyone they produce with no problem at all. I'm shocked they didn't go all electric with a EQS badge.
Old 07-01-23, 11:47 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
I don't think it was ever a 6 cylinder. The W204 was an NA, 6.2 L V8, and the W205 was a turbocharged, 4.0 L V8. The C43 was a V6.

I had a W204, and the engine was a thing of beauty. It made gobs of torque from 2000 RPM or so to redline, great throttle response and smooth as butter. Too bad the suspension was rough. That engine is a car like the IS500 would be perfect.

​​​​​
​​​​​​
I do stand corrected. The C63S is a V8. All along I thought it was a V6TT lol. Yea I really loved the w204. one of my buddies had the black series w204. He took real good care of that car but ended up putting it on BAT. The moments he did drive it spirited, it was amazing.
Old 07-02-23, 05:33 AM
Bechtold
Advanced

Originally Posted by subtl
That one actually got a good laugh out of me. I love Star Wars humor lol
I knew what it was the moment he said it, but it took me a few minutes after to realize why he did it. He was in the same lake/area that scene was filmed so they had to do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bechtold:
arentz07 (07-05-23), subtl (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 05:40 AM
subtl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bechtold
I knew what it was the moment he said it, but it took me a few minutes after to realize why he did it. He was in the same lake/area that scene was filmed so they had to do it.

https://youtu.be/2tLf1JO5bvE
That was the first thing i noticed then I heard the quote when I watched it back. Another great clip from the TH guys
Old 07-02-23, 05:50 AM
Bechtold
Advanced

Plugs are for butts!

They had me rolling from the beginning on this one. Sand was the final straw. I could not hold back.
subtl (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 08:24 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa500
I can't say that I would buy one, but I understand the shift to smaller engines. If they can get 3.3 sec to 60 from this powerplant that's great engineering. I don't really have a problem with the weight if any sedans on the market. It's needed today because everything else on the road is a truck or UV if sorts.

I'm sure they will sell everyone they produce with no problem at all. I'm shocked they didn't go all electric with a EQS badge.
Unfortunately they've shifted extremely small. Many others went from V8 to V6, they went ahead and cut 2 more cylinders off. The push for fuel economy is forcing these companies make some interesting decisions that I don't know if I agree with yet. I'm most interested in the Porsche route and synthetic fuel. Also, I don't know much about turbos and reliability, but they pump 40 pounds of boost into that engine... seems like A LOT of extra stress to make the power it does. I know cars can run for a long time on 5-8 pounds of boost, but 40?! I guess it's no wonder the car costs so much, if that engine is going to live I'm sure it's fully forged everything inside.

I'd honestly rather lose some performance for a better ride/chassis and less complicated experience. Oh, and their comment about no bass from the stereo was surprising too. Bass is the easiest thing to do in a car!!

Watching that video sure made me appreciate my car that much more. If I keep my foot out of it I bet I can average similar mileage with my V8.
Bechtold (07-02-23)
Old 07-04-23, 11:54 PM
Vinnigan
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I owned a W204.5 C63 for a solid 3 years before moving on to an F80 and it was such a glorious and charismatic engine. As an ex-owner, I feel especially critical for some of the company's modern choices.

The most competitive current Merc outside of F1 is still sporting a big *** V8: https://customerracing.mercedes-amg....s-amg-gt3.html

I wonder if they are gonna put their money where their mouth is and throw the 4 pot in there? Or maybe C63 buyers are just "special". /s
Old 07-05-23, 03:04 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Also, I don't know much about turbos and reliability, but they pump 40 pounds of boost into that engine... seems like A LOT of extra stress to make the power it does. I know cars can run for a long time on 5-8 pounds of boost, but 40?! I guess it's no wonder the car costs so much, if that engine is going to live I'm sure it's fully forged everything inside.

I'd honestly rather lose some performance for a better ride/chassis and less complicated experience. Oh, and their comment about no bass from the stereo was surprising too. Bass is the easiest thing to do in a car!!
Honestly…I don’t think these suped-up 4bangers are fully forged, at least not through the lens of longevity. Several reviewers have used the term ‘disposable’ in relation to modern German cars. I do not think they care about longterm ownership anymore. It’s like the luxo version of the old American Car Manufacturer’s ethos… “Do not build cars to last. Expect them to be replaced every 5 years.”

The N/A V8 was the #1 reason I traded up. Modern engines fly too close to the sun for my tastes; whereas, the 2UR is tried and true.
Bechtold (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 03:56 AM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 251 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Several reviewers have used the term ‘disposable’ in relation to modern German cars
Oh, for sure! Just look at how a new 7 Series nosedives in value and that tells you everything about these vehicles. And maybe it’s just my spidey-senses, but, anytime I’m near a BMW or Audi I can “feel” the ridiculous service and repair costs.
DLPTony (07-05-23)

Quick Reply: TH C63S Review