IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

2024 is 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 03:58 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

First video of Kirk I've managed to watch entirely.

I appreciate his comment at the very end - "no one wants the RZ."

Very true.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
604GSE21 (10-13-23), jsch222 (10-13-23)
Old 10-13-23, 11:45 PM
MoltenDebt
Driver

Received 180 Likes on 51 Posts

I love it. It's like a variant of Blue Flame. Also the interior gets blue stitiching, unlike my Molten Pearl which did not get orange stitiching

Last edited by MoltenDebt; 10-16-23 at 08:28 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by MoltenDebt:
604GSE21 (10-14-23), arentz07 (10-14-23), Bechtold (10-14-23), HighRevs (10-14-23), jsch222 (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 07:24 AM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 252 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
I didn't want the color in the LE but more than that I did not want all the fuzzy interior bits. I guess if you want a number plate and fuzzy bits, the LE has no appeal over a new '24 Incognito IS 500.
I was a bit apprehensive about the fuzzy bits but I’ve grown to like them after a bit. Actually I like the grainy bits of the LE just a bit more than the fuzzy bits. We’ll see how it all holds up after a bit, though. I agree though that not likely could expect a bit more on value for the fuzzy bits nor the grainy bits, but who knows.
The following users liked this post:
macmaster (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 08:22 AM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
grecian water is now a $600 color, is it even available on the 500 anymore cuz it was not mention in the press release.
Based on the configurator, no. It’s gone for the 500.
604GSE21 (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 02:22 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by abdrury
I was a bit apprehensive about the fuzzy bits but I’ve grown to like them after a bit. Actually I like the grainy bits of the LE just a bit more than the fuzzy bits. We’ll see how it all holds up after a bit, though. I agree though that not likely could expect a bit more on value for the fuzzy bits nor the grainy bits, but who knows.
LOL this bit was well done.
Old 10-14-23, 02:55 PM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 252 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
LOL this bit was well done.
Touché!! I thought I had used every context of that word.
Old 10-14-23, 03:14 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

So in other words no shocking updates just some fiddling with the colors a bit as expected. So those of you holding out for the next gen tech can give up now and get a '23 if it is in your dealers lot.
I’m shocked they have not updated the tech on the IS for 2024. The infotainment is just so dated along with that trackpad. What is Lexus thinking? It’s so far behind the competition. At least bring it up to the NX standards which has been out since 2022.

It dumbfounded to me that the NX infotainment system is more driver focused than the IS. NX is tilted to the driver engaging the driver focused feel while IS is opposite. It should be other way around in terms of sport characteristics.
Old 10-14-23, 03:41 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I’m shocked they have not updated the tech on the IS for 2024. The infotainment is just so dated along with that trackpad. What is Lexus thinking? It’s so far behind the competition. At least bring it up to the NX standards which has been out since 2022.

It dumbfounded to me that the NX infotainment system is more driver focused than the IS. NX is tilted to the driver engaging the driver focused feel while IS is opposite. It should be other way around in terms of sport characteristics.
It's just fine for me, nobody really expected an update.

The following 2 users liked this post by Longwaldo:
DLPTony (10-15-23), SpudsMcD (10-17-23)
Old 10-14-23, 04:35 PM
LexLight
Driver

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350

In order to update the IS infotainment like newer RX, TX and etc they have to redesign the entire Dashboard and interior that is a tall order for this platform. But in order to make it like ES they have to remove the CD player and the Track Pad meaning they have to change the whole Center Console. And this car being a cousin of the RC, that means they have to put a lot of money in R&D for a car that is on it's last legs, this 3IS is 10 year old platform (RC is a hybrid of GS and IS RWD based platforms) plus this 2024 is the last model year for the naturally aspirated Toyota Lexus products maybe only LC 500 will live a few more years. Also Lexus / Toyota does not have any platform like this. Nowadays they have a TNGA based modular platform.

I'm happy to see the IS retain the older infotainment, because newer one does not have Aux input and the newer infotainment is boring and the OS design is also flat. Second it has a ton more of DCM telemetry than existing one and I like the older infotainment UI.

Also the latest trend of putting the entire brand lettering at the back, every single newer Hyundai, Honda, Toyota and their premium counterparts are starting this fad, this car however does not have any of those newer Lexus design aesthetics along with the entirely old-school powertrain of the IS is what made it special to me. It's all my opinion though.

What I wished for is, Lexus to make an IS F car but we all know the 2UR GSE is on it's last iteration, the newer 2UR in IS 500 and LC 500, RC F is from 2016 RC F change, which is why it has a bit more power and some changes. And Lexus 2UR was like ISF era old and it cannot beat any M car on a track the RC F Track Edition loses to many cars, so R&D in a new engine is no go sad but this is what it is. The Auto industry is becoming far too much computerized and unnatural and no character and this is the best excuse I can give for this car for it's flaws.

Last edited by LexLight; 10-14-23 at 04:40 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by LexLight:
arentz07 (10-14-23), Bechtold (10-14-23), HighRevs (10-14-23), macmaster (10-14-23), TGPCanada (10-15-23)
Old 10-14-23, 07:31 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
In order to update the IS infotainment like newer RX, TX and etc they have to redesign the entire Dashboard and interior that is a tall order for this platform. But in order to make it like ES they have to remove the CD player and the Track Pad meaning they have to change the whole Center Console. And this car being a cousin of the RC, that means they have to put a lot of money in R&D for a car that is on it's last legs, this 3IS is 10 year old platform (RC is a hybrid of GS and IS RWD based platforms) plus this 2024 is the last model year for the naturally aspirated Toyota Lexus products maybe only LC 500 will live a few more years. Also Lexus / Toyota does not have any platform like this. Nowadays they have a TNGA based modular platform.

I'm happy to see the IS retain the older infotainment, because newer one does not have Aux input and the newer infotainment is boring and the OS design is also flat. Second it has a ton more of DCM telemetry than existing one and I like the older infotainment UI.

Also the latest trend of putting the entire brand lettering at the back, every single newer Hyundai, Honda, Toyota and their premium counterparts are starting this fad, this car however does not have any of those newer Lexus design aesthetics along with the entirely old-school powertrain of the IS is what made it special to me. It's all my opinion though.

What I wished for is, Lexus to make an IS F car but we all know the 2UR GSE is on it's last iteration, the newer 2UR in IS 500 and LC 500, RC F is from 2016 RC F change, which is why it has a bit more power and some changes. And Lexus 2UR was like ISF era old and it cannot beat any M car on a track the RC F Track Edition loses to many cars, so R&D in a new engine is no go sad but this is what it is. The Auto industry is becoming far too much computerized and unnatural and no character and this is the best excuse I can give for this car for it's flaws.
I really have no issues carrying over the interior this long, for me it still looks nice. I don’t mind the retro look including the cd player which included with the ML would give the listener the highest fidelity sound possible in a car. The ML was meant to be paired with a CD player which I think I read somewhere on the net to give you the ultimate sound in the cabin. My 2007 IS 350 had the ML and being it was almost impossible to get back then without a special order, it produced a sound quality that I will never forget hearing.

I completely agree with your comment, it would take a whole redesign of the interior dash to give it the same design of the RX/NX. I just wish Lexus had done something to update the screen during that mild refresh a few yrs ago. Even a subtle change to the dash by tilting the screen toward the driver an inch would have been a nice addition. Sorta like when they moved the RX screen closer to the driver, little things make big impressions.

Another change they could have implemented in the mild refresh was added an electronic trunk kick to open and a button on the deck lid to push to close. That could have easily been added and provide a premium feel to this luxury/sport sedan.

The only thing I don’t care for on the interior side is how the circuit red creates too much red color. I really feel that the lower parts of the doors should be black to give it more contrast in color and some of the lower dash areas should be black as well. For me, it would look so much better. A lot of reviewers have said the same thing. If I bought a 2024 I would want the circuit red…but man that’s a lot of red, everywhere . Lol

Last edited by Xanadu350; 10-14-23 at 07:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Xanadu350:
Bechtold (10-14-23), HighRevs (10-15-23), LexLight (10-15-23), macmaster (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 07:34 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 922 Likes on 425 Posts

I doubt we're gonna see an ISF until Lexus releases the TT V6.
Old 10-14-23, 07:42 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 946 Likes on 438 Posts

I drove the most recent 2023 NX as a service loaner. I was not impressed with the car. Far less intuitive than my "old tech" IS or the previous generation NX. Too many things hiding in menus on the screen. I would not buy the new NX, maybe the "old" NX. I feel Lexus as a brand will likely lose my interest as this tech takes over the lineup. The IS would be all wrong with the new crap in it, so I am glad it was around for me to go and get one this year.
HighRevs (10-15-23)
Old 10-14-23, 09:21 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 395 Likes on 170 Posts

I drove the most recent 2023 NX as a service loaner. I was not impressed with the car. Far less intuitive than my "old tech" IS or the previous generation NX. Too many things hiding in menus on the screen. I would not buy the new NX, maybe the "old" NX. I feel Lexus as a brand will likely lose my interest as this tech takes over the lineup. The IS would be all wrong with the new crap in it, so I am glad it was around for me to go and get one this year.
the old IS infotainment is perfect, honestly I had no complaints using the touchpad and touch screen. The new one sucks, u have to go into menu to just change drive modes, I guess there are enough people in the world that complained and loves screens instead of buttons that why lexus had to do it.

Last edited by 604GSE21; 10-14-23 at 11:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 604GSE21:
04gita (10-16-23), HighRevs (10-15-23)
Old 10-14-23, 09:40 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

I love the split screen of the "old" infotainment. I've heard the new one doesn't have that.
Old 10-15-23, 07:10 AM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 833 Likes on 346 Posts

I dunno. Maybe I'm just old school. I took the 500 out for some spirited driving on a Saturday night and all I saw and heard was the front bulge lifting up under heavy pedal to the metal, the rear tires spinning, the massive dinosaur like roars from this abnormally large engine (for car of this size), and various other things you'd expect from driving a car. I barely noticed or missed the infotainment system. To each to their own and of course it would be great to have more modern software and hardware, but I'm not losing any sleep over the fossilized infotainment system in this car. There's a certain rawness this thing has which other cars nowadays don't seem to have. Anyhow, just imo.

The following 7 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
arentz07 (10-15-23), Bechtold (10-15-23), geckornr (10-15-23), HighRevs (10-15-23), LexLight (10-15-23), SpudsMcD (10-15-23), wfibear (10-15-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 2024 is 500