IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

"Car Care Nut" Reviews IS500

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 01:52 PM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Received 615 Likes on 309 Posts

Sigh......It was hard for me to decide to watch. It was easy to stop after about 2 minutes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carolina50:
DLPTony (07-05-23), TipsyTonio (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 02:17 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
I expect Tony will not be able to finish it as it's that bad.
Originally Posted by DLPTony
I loaded up this page to rail on this Effer and I feel calm and better, because y’all have said the same things.
I too couldn’t get past the first few minutes. Dude knew in his head the 500 wasn’t built to be an F product, but he wanted it to be so his sour-*** review reflects it. 😒🤬

The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 02:35 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 305 Likes on 112 Posts

I've got a lot of respect for the car care nut, he is a really intelligent and thorough person and I really do admire his story and perspective. Everyone's is entitled to their own opinions and thats why it's a good idea to formulate your own. I happen to disgree with most of the things mentioned in the video but I still think he made valid points from his particular perspective.

From my perspective he missed the real reasoning behind this car which is to give the customers what they actually want and will use and cut out the stuff they won't in the name of price. The GSF was a flop for Lexus because of its cost. Nobody says the GSF is a bad car, it is a fantastic car, but it was way out of reach for most people, and for what? So it could have track ready goodies that nobody ever actually took advantage of.
The following 6 users liked this post by cyfi66:
arentz07 (07-06-23), dsksvr17 (07-06-23), LexLight (07-21-23), Longwaldo (07-05-23), Molten500 (07-05-23), NiceV8Sounds (07-05-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-05-23, 03:21 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
That's just fodder for the riff raff who own fifth-hand IS F's.
100% spot on. I don’t say much about them but lord knows, since 2022, many of them have stayed in a constant state of butt hurtness.

I freely admit to being one of the founding members of the IS 500 fanboy club, but that dude spoke out of his *** today.
The following 5 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Bechtold (07-05-23), Kanpai (07-06-23), macmaster (07-05-23), phoenix888 (07-05-23), TipsyTonio (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 03:21 PM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I view all of the popular YouTubers the same way when it comes to their automotive opinions. It's entertainment at best. I see them all as folks with quirks that draw people in regardless of the topic. This "Nut" said the original IS F looks better than the current IS. Hell nawh! Okay...Maybe to some, but I think they're all in the minority with that madness.

This guy, the Straight Pipes, Throttle House, that Doug guy.....are all the same. Savage Geese guys wanna be more polished, but they rarely remove personal feelings against certain brands.

No way, I'm seriously considering input from anyone who has the keys for a week or less. Maybe Jay Leno.....maybe....but then again, a dude with quirks.

I wish Lexus would just kill the RC F so we can stop the whole "not a true F car" talk. If a new IS F is built, it will likely be a hybrid or electric and people will complain about that as well. Watch the trending Throttle House video of the new C-Class AMG and you'll see my point.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kappa500:
Bechtold (07-05-23), DLPTony (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 03:31 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I freely admit to being one of the founding members of the IS 500 fanboy club, but that dude spoke out of his *** today.
Yeah we flew to get our cars! OGs.
DLPTony (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 03:39 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

I love the IS F, it is the best of the 2IS generation of which my wife and I have a 2013 IS 350. I would have said the IS F was better looking if they had done the 500 in the earlier 3IS years of 2014-2020. But the moment they came out with the 2021+ style the 3IS wins to me in terms of looks. Back in 2014 when the 3IS was just coming out and I drove the 2013 IS F and the 2014 IS 350 F Sport I said I wanted the V8 in the 3IS chassis and I would be completely happy. It only took them 8 years to do it but boy did they do exactly what I wanted minus some tiny nit-picks. If I had an IS F I likely would have either traded it in for the IS 500 or maybe would have kept it depending on if there was an IS 350 in the garage also.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bechtold:
arentz07 (07-06-23), DLPTony (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 03:51 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

I love the IS F, it is the best of the 2IS generation of which my wife and I have a 2013 IS 350. I would have said the IS F was better looking if they had done the 500 in the earlier 3IS years of 2014-2020. But the moment they came out with the 2021+ style the 3IS wins to me in terms of looks. Back in 2014 when the 3IS was just coming out and I drove the 2013 IS F and the 2014 IS 350 F Sport I said I wanted the V8 in the 3IS chassis and I would be completely happy. It only took them 8 years to do it but boy did they do exactly what I wanted minus some tiny nit-picks. If I had an IS F I likely would have either traded it in for the IS 500 or maybe would have kept it depending on if there was an IS 350 in the garage also.
People swap out the ISF OEM tail lights to get the light bar we have on the current gen IS. They also swap out the old IS F front grille to get the predator/spindle grille. I think these things are silly and the IS F looks way better stock, but there's a reason people do this - they want to be us!

So anyone who picks a IS F over a IS500, all things being equal, is kidding themselves. They don't have the $$$. Simple. The sad part is the IS500 isn't even that expensive. Just a few thousand more dollars than a marked-up KIA.
Old 07-05-23, 03:56 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm an owner of an IS500, but the car care nut was right (except the engine noise generator part). It's a good review to let people know what they're buying. Those who are happy with the care like myself have our expatiations met, but many others won't. Since there is no equivalent 4 door F car many people perhaps cross-shop IS500 with M3's or AMG's or maybe even Civic/integra (type R/S).

- steering is light and muted
- it does look like a IS350 (almost identical)
- the transmission is the most complained about drivetrain component
- tech is acceptable, but behind a generation
- Exhaust is too quiet until the intake opens up.

What was he wrong about? you could disagree with him on Lexus decision making. That's all speculation of what was discussed behind closed doors. But his statements about the actual car were all right.
NiceV8Sounds (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 04:36 PM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
I'm an owner of an IS500, but the car care nut was right (except the engine noise generator part). It's a good review to let people know what they're buying. Those who are happy with the care like myself have our expatiations met, but many others won't. Since there is no equivalent 4 door F car many people perhaps cross-shop IS500 with M3's or AMG's or maybe even Civic/integra (type R/S).

- steering is light and muted
- it does look like a IS350 (almost identical)
- the transmission is the most complained about drivetrain component
- tech is acceptable, but behind a generation
- Exhaust is too quiet until the intake opens up.

What was he wrong about? you could disagree with him on Lexus decision making. That's all speculation of what was discussed behind closed doors. But his statements about the actual car were all right.
I don't know if all of his statements were all right....

I'm not sure if Lexus ever said, this was supposed to be the next IS F.

It's odd to declare that "this is the same engine and transmission as the 2008 IS F... Lexus just changed the compression"....and then say the 16 year old IS F is the better car. He says it's not an IS F, but goes on to compare it by that standard.

Then he's disappointed about the presence of Eco mode. Lol. I've got Eco mode in my Vette, but never looked at is as a drawback. The drive modes were designed to be options. I'm pretty sure everything Lexus sells has an Eco mode...including the RC F. Then, it looks like an IS 350....like the IS lineup has had a standout with a widebody kit. They all look alike. It's just smart business.

All that aside, the only issue I had after my purchase was making it a bit louder. Mufflers removed and I don't think I will change anything else.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kappa500:
arentz07 (07-06-23), Bechtold (07-05-23), Carolina50 (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 05:02 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Yeah we flew to get our cars! OGs.
#GoBag!! 😎🤘🏽

Originally Posted by Kappa500
It's odd to declare that "this is the same engine and transmission as the 2008 IS F... Lexus just changed the compression"....and then say the 16 year old IS F is the better car. He says it's not an IS F, but goes on to compare it by that standard.

Then he's disappointed about the presence of Eco mode. Lol. I've got Eco mode in my Vette, but never looked at is as a drawback. The drive modes were designed to be options. I'm pretty sure everything Lexus sells has an Eco mode...including the RC F. Then, it looks like an IS 350....like the IS lineup has had a standout with a widebody kit. They all look alike. It's just smart business..
Right…his train of (several) thoughts were disjointed and the sour attitude made the whole thing unbearable. One can have their opinion, but he was mad because the peg could not be squared. “This should’ve been an IS F and it’s not! I want to know WHY!!! WHYYYY!!”

::stomp:: ::stomp:: ::throw myself to the ground::

😈
The following 3 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Bechtold (07-05-23), Carolina50 (07-05-23), jgscott (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 05:22 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Man, beating a dead horse here, but even as an IS350 owner he really dropped the ball on this video. He spoke so highly of the IS350 when he reviewed it and he’s always saying how the IS is one of the most reliable Lexus models, so I was expecting him to be even happier about the IS500 since it had the V8. But instead he praised the engine and then **** on the car as a whole. I’m totally biased but the IS500 is a bargain for the price it is. Yes a M340i may beat you off the dig, but at a fully loaded spec it’s at least $5,000 more and I don’t feel that the engine has an exhilarating effect on the driver. The same could be said of a C43. Not only is it on of the last NA V8 sedans, it is quite literally the ONLY NA V8 sedan from a *RELIABLE* automaker. And it’s attached to a car that has a gorgeous design. Win win. I normally love Car Care Nut but he took the L on this one
The following 8 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Bechtold (07-05-23), Carolina50 (07-05-23), celsior0 (07-06-23), DLPTony (07-05-23), dsksvr17 (07-06-23), Kanpai (07-06-23), LexLight (07-21-23), pprj (07-06-23) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-05-23, 05:24 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa500
I don't know if all of his statements were all right....

I'm not sure if Lexus ever said, this was supposed to be the next IS F.

Then he's disappointed about the presence of Eco mode. Lol. I've got Eco mode in my Vette, but never looked at is as a drawback. The drive modes were designed to be options. I'm pretty sure everything Lexus sells has an Eco mode...including the RC F. Then, it looks like an IS 350....like the IS lineup has had a standout with a widebody kit. They all look alike. It's just smart business.

All that aside, the only issue I had after my purchase was making it a bit louder. Mufflers removed and I don't think I will change anything else.
The Eco mode I actually echo his sentiment as Eco/standard and Sport all seem the same to me. Only Sport plus seems to make a difference.

The IS500 is more similar to it's 3IS IS350 Fsport counterparts than the ISF was to it's Lexus equivalent. So in a sense the ISF WAS a significantly different and better car than a regular 2IS 350 than the IS500 is to it's contemporary version. I don't think he's saying outright head to head it's better overall, but if you want a track focused car, an argument can be made due to brakes and suspension.
Old 07-05-23, 05:27 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
The Eco mode I actually echo his sentiment as Eco/standard and Sport all seem the same to me. Only Sport plus seems to make a difference.

The IS500 is more similar to it's 3IS IS350 Fsport counterparts than the ISF was to it's Lexus equivalent. So in a sense the ISF WAS a significantly different and better car than a regular 2IS 350 than the IS500 is to it's contemporary version. I don't think he's saying outright head to head it's better overall, but if you want a track focused car, an argument can be made due to brakes and suspension.
Accelerate from a stop and switch to eco, you'll feel it! The throttle map in eco is VERY conservative. My car falls on its face when I switch to eco while accelerating, like eco mode made 4 cylinders fall off lol.
The following 4 users liked this post by 95bat:
arentz07 (07-06-23), Bechtold (07-05-23), DLPTony (07-06-23), LexLight (07-21-23)
Old 07-05-23, 05:50 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,366 Likes on 1,082 Posts

CCN is nothing but a compensated You Tuber. There are even vids where he rebuilt a customers motor. It blew up. Then he did another vid about how and why to do it the correct way and why it blew up. There was already a technical document on how to do it the right way in the 1st place. Then he goes on to say -"what we learned". lol! We?
Bechtold (07-05-23)

Quick Reply: "Car Care Nut" Reviews IS500