IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

"Car Care Nut" Reviews IS500

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 09:18 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
His harping on the fake sound and how unusual it was to have it.. Yes it has it so turn it off and there is none but he never mentioned you can do that. The RC F has ASC that is active in Sport S+ but no button to turn it On / Off! The GS F had an On / Off ASC button, not a volume control like the IS 500 so it is not unprecedented with the Lexus performance V8 cars to have it.

During 19:54-20:23 in the video he says... "All they did was increase the compression. And then they tweaked a little bit of the tuning to get it that last push to 472hp."

Uh No it is not the same motor, they did a lot more than that as I posted here...
http://australiancar.reviews/2UR-GSE-engine.php

A fair amount of hardware changed. If it was easy IS F guys would have swapped the parts to get the same power.

Like I said before I don't care if the review is all positive and agrees with me 100%, heck it can disagree with me 100% and that is fine. Just get your facts straight and he did not. If you don't like the car or it disappoints you, great, it's not for everyone. If you like it great. We have different reasons for liking it.
so the fact he got wrong was that he said the IS500 has "higher compression and other tweaks" over the ISF V8. I only listened to ther review twice and didn't pay attention to carefully where he went deep into the engine internal and design details, but i don't recall him doing a more detailed comparison than that. Maybe i'll take a 3rd listen. I feel like many of us heard what wanted to hear instead of what was actually said.
The following users liked this post:
21ce (07-08-24)
Old 07-06-23, 11:06 AM
celsior0
Driver

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

I couldn’t watch the whole review, he basically makes a mockery out of the 500. It wasn’t supposed to be an ISF he should know that. I wonder if that Grecian water 500 was a 22’? I heard on here that 22’ and 23’ steering weighting is different. The steering is better and tighter more heavily weighted than my 21’ 350 I had. Even in normal mode its still pretty heavy even in low speeds. The transmission is the same as the RC-F (Aisin AA80) the 350 has the AA81. The AA80 downshifts more aggressively than 350 or even the 22’ IS500 according to ‘Lexus’ forum members. It gets better when warmed up. My ASC sound volume is off the V8 sounds good without it and actually has induction sound the intake flaps open around 2800 rpm to let in natural sound.
I lost respect for AMD in this review it’s probably one of the more negative reviews than the other cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by celsior0:
Bechtold (07-06-23), Carolina50 (07-06-23), DLPTony (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 11:20 AM
celsior0
Driver

Originally Posted by Kappa500
I view all of the popular YouTubers the same way when it comes to their automotive opinions. It's entertainment at best. I see them all as folks with quirks that draw people in regardless of the topic. This "Nut" said the original IS F looks better than the current IS. Hell nawh! Okay...Maybe to some, but I think they're all in the minority with that madness.

This guy, the Straight Pipes, Throttle House, that Doug guy.....are all the same. Savage Geese guys wanna be more polished, but they rarely remove personal feelings against certain brands.

No way, I'm seriously considering input from anyone who has the keys for a week or less. Maybe Jay Leno.....maybe....but then again, a dude with quirks.

I wish Lexus would just kill the RC F so we can stop the whole "not a true F car" talk. If a new IS F is built, it will likely be a hybrid or electric and people will complain about that as well. Watch the trending Throttle House video of the new C-Class AMG and you'll see my point.
I straight up told car care nut on his video “how can you tell just on one short drive”? “How can you judge the overall car based off one drive”
The following 3 users liked this post by celsior0:
Bechtold (07-06-23), Carolina50 (07-06-23), DLPTony (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 11:25 AM
celsior0
Driver

Originally Posted by DLPTony
#GoBag!! 😎🤘🏽

Right…his train of (several) thoughts were disjointed and the sour attitude made the whole thing unbearable. One can have their opinion, but he was mad because the peg could not be squared. “This should’ve been an IS F and it’s not! I want to know WHY!!! WHYYYY!!”

::stomp:: ::stomp:: ::throw myself to the ground::

😈
His whole diatribe was his own agenda based perceptions. I couldn’t finish the whole review it was too much and got irritated
The following 2 users liked this post by celsior0:
Bechtold (07-06-23), DLPTony (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 11:35 AM
celsior0
Driver

Originally Posted by Kappa500
I hear ya...but he literally said it's better at everything and the IS 500 is a complete disappointment. I agree with you WRT similarities with the 350 F Sport.

"The IS 350 wasn't promised to be a hot performer so....here we are with this"....

Strong words and very poorly delivered. Hopefully, folks considering will take the necessary steps to find out more before they make their final decision.

I will add one caveat.....I do have a Pedal Commander that I use from time to time, so I don't necessarily have any issues with the transmission after it's warmed. No issues with the steering that he seems to think is the biggest letdown.

I traded in a 2022 BMW M440i for my IS500 and had the same discussions there. It's not a true M car....but I found it better than the current M4 when factoring cost/performance. It was about the same price as the IS 500.
Seemed to me AMD was basically insinuating you might as well get the IS350 or ISF. He also makes a remark that the steering was more responsive on the 350. I don’t think so. When he’s trying to turn the steering wheel he’s not doing much to make a point it’s probably already stiffer because he’s on the highway.
there’s a caption subtitle “The ISF that isn’t” to rub it in even more when he was consistently mentioning the ISF. Yeah we get it but quit rubbing it in it’s getting irritating.
To me was a poor review and more agenda based off his perceptions
The following 2 users liked this post by celsior0:
Bechtold (07-06-23), DLPTony (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 12:12 PM
pprj
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
I'm an owner of an IS500, but the car care nut was right (except the engine noise generator part). It's a good review to let people know what they're buying. Those who are happy with the care like myself have our expatiations met, but many others won't. Since there is no equivalent 4 door F car many people perhaps cross-shop IS500 with M3's or AMG's or maybe even Civic/integra (type R/S).

- steering is light and muted
- it does look like a IS350 (almost identical)
- the transmission is the most complained about drivetrain component
- tech is acceptable, but behind a generation
- Exhaust is too quiet until the intake opens up.

What was he wrong about? you could disagree with him on Lexus decision making. That's all speculation of what was discussed behind closed doors. But his statements about the actual car were all right.
I have a lot of respect for him. But some points are not really relevant.

- engine sound amplification - irrelevant, as you can turn it off. Who cares if the car has it? Don't want to use it? Ok, don't.
- he went on a on about the ECO mode. Again, who cares? Just don't use it if you don't want to.
- it looks like an IS 350. Sure. As an S4 looks like an A4. And so on....
- tech is behind - again, at least for me, this is 300% irrelevant. I'm a carplay / android auto guy. I don't care what the native interface of gps does.... I don't intend to ever use it. Does it run CP/AA well? Then I'm a happy customer.

- fair comments about the transmission - this is the only topic that has some merit. The transmission is a "lost opportunity" as some (ZF is an example) perform better. I don't believe the transmission is a show stopper. I would not get rid of the car because of it, but I do acknowledge that other brands show better performance.

Overall, I feel that TCCN reviewed the card based on what he wanted the car to be, based on his own value proposition. The value proposition that Lexus/Toyota defined for the car is different and is what is causing the gap.

Bechtold (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 12:24 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 944 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by pprj
I have a lot of respect for him. But some points are not really relevant.

- engine sound amplification - irrelevant, as you can turn it off. Who cares if the car has it? Don't want to use it? Ok, don't.
- he went on a on about the ECO mode. Again, who cares? Just don't use it if you don't want to. I use it all the time. Only car I've ever liked it in.
- it looks like an IS 350. Sure. As an S4 looks like an A4. And so on....
- tech is behind - again, at least for me, this is 300% irrelevant. I'm a carplay / android auto guy. I don't care what the native interface of gps does.... I don't intend to ever use it. Does it run CP/AA well? Then I'm a happy customer. I'll add play Flac files which it does.

- fair comments about the transmission - this is the only topic that has some merit. The transmission is a "lost opportunity" as some (ZF is an example) perform better. I don't believe the transmission is a show stopper. I would not get rid of the car because of it, but I do acknowledge that other brands show better performance. Yep.

Overall, I feel that TCCN reviewed the card based on what he wanted the car to be, based on his own value proposition. The value proposition that Lexus/Toyota defined for the car is different and is what is causing the gap.
Preach!

Old 07-07-23, 08:42 AM
hattorihongzo
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree and explains why we got the IS500 and not and F. Lexus learned with the RCF when it sold like 200-300 units per year.
jororo (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 07:02 AM
LexLight
Driver

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm respect TCCN because dude helped me to understand so many things around the Lexus and entire Automotive industry, I was waiting for this video to show up but damn he dropped the ball big time on this.

First IS 500 is never advertised as in IS F. Lexus is being at-least very honest about it and not like many other auto companies going after flashy marketing gimmicks. It's not a Track car. So many reviewers on YT platform had only positive things to say about it and highlighting the flaws as well balancing the reviews. Really shocked how one of the most Toyota enthusiast comes out bashing it hardcore.

I did not understand why he went bashing the clock which is literally the iconic Lexus signature and also the interior, if he said real things like its only NuLuxe and not Semi Aniline I would have appreciated his take but rather bashing on the infotainment. Call me old the new OS on the Toyota is made in US and it is so generic and boring the old UI / Infotainment experience is really something unique plus in the modern OS you get insane amount of telemetry and tracking of user data through DCM upgrades not to forget the 2026 Remote Kill Switch US Law Mandate. Also he was also a bit negative on the the superb Tach how can anyone not like that LFA inspired tech we have which sets off an entirely different experience, in the ES if one wants that Tach they have to let go of the UL smooth ride and in IS it's a nice option along with Metal Pedal kit a lot of things in the IS make it special, the Electrostatic AC system controls, no other car on the planet except RC has that. ASC can be completely turned off and the fact it is present in GS F, RC F even somehow it's too offending when you can switch it off entirely unlike 99% of the modern cars which completely pump super fake sound everywhere including the competition like the Trinity from German Automotive Bimmers, Audi, Mercs.

Aisin AA80E the same transmission has been used in IS F, GS F, RC F but in IS 500 somehow it's a problem ? ZF will never make it to IS F because this is Toyota, they test a lot and they do not want to move from whats tried and tested esp when RC F doesn't even get it it's natural to not expect ZF in a 3IS which is literally 10 years of refinement on the IS lineup and expecting a brand new Trans which Toyota never used with their NA engines Supra is using B58 BMW I6T with ZF it's not a Toyota. Yes, I never drove it but from so many reviews everyone mentions the "Jekyll and Hyde" nature of under 3000RPM cruiser and over 6000RPM to 7200 Redline visceral experience. It's a win-win combo in my book. And so is the Eco mode, it's there in GS F too, RC F as well .. again why is it a problem to have something for casual driving is this car going to beat Germans or any ? Even RC F loses out to the Germans on a track. Period. But the Powertrain, Reliability, Luxury and rest make these good vehicles to own and not to lease and dump.

Someone from the comments had a nice video on the Aisin AA80E enjoy.

Also no under carriage review, he hated the car too much to even get it on the lift. Real shame because IS 500 gets all the GS F front end I saw that in Savageeese take, even they know the purpose of an IS 500 in not one but two videos they made. Also the RC F inspired quad tips is a nice improvement over the original IS F. At-least he mentioned the premature tire wear due to the staggered setup, could have added points there by mentioning the RC F / GS F LCA bushing swap option.

Finally if he really wanted an F car why not get an RC F ? Starts at 67K and Premium Package which is mandatory for better experience goes upto 80K and bam you get Trans cooler, Oil cooler what not. I too feel Lexus could have given an F treatment with all the Track kit (AL Rear suspension, bigger Brembo brakes, Oil and Trans Coolers + the signature F body kit styling) for same cost of the IS 500 top spec at 65-68K but in this greed driven age, It was never going to happen, it's the honest truth. Plus the GS F was 86K+ so most of the V8 are not easy to buy for many as it goes out of their budget. IS F original is same cost around the IS 500 that would be a good criticism, still the modern 3IS + improvements add up and eventually raise the price for a new IS F which will again creep up to RC F and makes no sense from a financial standpoint.

The following 7 users liked this post by LexLight:
arentz07 (07-21-23), Bechtold (07-21-23), cyfi66 (07-21-23), DLPTony (07-21-23), IS500SM (07-21-23), jsch222 (07-21-23), Longwaldo (07-21-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-21-23, 07:10 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd add that he recently bought a GX for his wife..........for all the same reasons he bashes the IS500. Check that video out.

Last edited by jsch222; 07-21-23 at 07:13 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by jsch222:
arentz07 (07-21-23), Bechtold (07-21-23), Carolina50 (07-21-23), DLPTony (07-21-23), jororo (07-21-23), LexLight (07-21-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-21-23, 07:41 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 944 Likes on 437 Posts

I'm not giving clicks for car care nuts channel. He lost his chance after that video.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bechtold:
Carolina50 (07-21-23), DLPTony (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 08:16 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I honestly think he was just trying to stand out from the crowd and make his review a little different. I don't think he actually is that personally sour on the car. I'd say it worked.

He'll probably use it as an opportunity to make a 2nd video on the IS500 and make amends...hence more clicks...hence more $$$. WATCH.
The following 3 users liked this post by macmaster:
DLPTony (07-21-23), jororo (07-21-23), jsch222 (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 10:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

I think it seemed pretty genuine. I've seen multiple reviewers who seemed initially unimpressed with the IS 500, but the more they drove it, the better their opinion became. EatSleepDrive, Jubbal & Cars, ThatDudeInBlue, ... the list goes on. Usually what happens is that they start driving it quickly on a back road and realize it's actually fun. David of TDIB actually went from being relatively "meh" on the car at the beginning to saying it'd be "perfect" except for exhaust and suspension by the end of his video.

I think TCCN is, like many of us now, spoiled by how zippy and responsive a lot of modern cars feel - they have "wow-factor", as I like to say. The wow-factor of my wife's 330i M Sport was extremely high when we test-drove it. And make no mistake: that was a fun car, and very usable, too. But, in spirited driving, it felt a little synthetic at times and not as confidence-inspiring as my IS 350 (or 500, for that matter). The ride was also busy on broken pavement and didn't provide much better body control than the IS 350 - probably seeking out the wow-factor of how "sporty" it was. The brakes, too, were too touchy, probably in search of making the driver say "wow, nice brakes!" during a test drive. It's like the IS 500 was actually designed to be driven daily and not just to impress people on first drive.
LexLight (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 10:14 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 775 Likes on 277 Posts

Another thing to remember is just how much the midcycle refresh improved on the shortcomings of the IS-F. The first few years had a brutally rough ride, no LSD, etc. At the time it too was well behind its rival as far as tech & performance equipment goes so quite a bit of rose colored glasses going on here.
The following 2 users liked this post by jororo:
arentz07 (07-21-23), LexLight (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 10:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
I'm respect TCCN because dude helped me to understand so many things around the Lexus and entire Automotive industry, I was waiting for this video to show up but damn he dropped the ball big time on this.

Finally if he really wanted an F car why not get an RC F ? Starts at 67K and Premium Package which is mandatory for better experience goes upto 80K and bam you get Trans cooler, Oil cooler what not. I too feel Lexus could have given an F treatment with all the Track kit (AL Rear suspension, bigger Brembo brakes, Oil and Trans Coolers + the signature F body kit styling) for same cost of the IS 500 top spec at 65-68K but in this greed driven age, It was never going to happen, it's the honest truth. Plus the GS F was 86K+ so most of the V8 are not easy to buy for many as it goes out of their budget. IS F original is same cost around the IS 500 that would be a good criticism, still the modern 3IS + improvements add up and eventually raise the price for a new IS F which will again creep up to RC F and makes no sense from a financial standpoint.
I meant to reply to this earlier - you make a lot of great points! I also really enjoyed the transmission video - good thing to have going in the background for breakfast this morning.

It is fascinating how they engineered 8 speeds from the guts of a 6-speed transmission design. That is some clever stuff.

I especially agree with your last paragraph. The main selling point of the IS 500 is that it's yet another way outside of a proper F car (the other being the LC 500) to get the 2UR-GSE. Let's be honest. And, as a 2UR carrying case, it is the most practical way to enjoy that engine aside from the GS F. The RC F has only two doors, and the LC's trunk and rear seats are pitiful. Then, you throw in the value proposition. It's priced to compete with the M340is of the world, not the M3s. There's just nothing else like it on sale.
LexLight (07-21-23)

Quick Reply: "Car Care Nut" Reviews IS500