IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Pittsy's 'Totally Not a Build' IS500 LE

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-23, 11:53 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ he is a pro at photogtaphy!! I had seen some of his work with his RC and impressed me then too!!!

I am still having dreams of that model he worked with lmao
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (07-11-23)
Old 07-11-23, 12:22 PM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 252 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I am still having dreams of that model he worked with lmao

The following 3 users liked this post by abdrury:
DLPTony (07-11-23), Pittsy (07-11-23), wthrman2 (07-11-23)
Old 07-15-23, 10:45 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Well the fishbowl days are finally over. 15% all around and 70% on the windshield. All ceramic of course.

The car is in today getting its 5k. Love this car to death. It's been such a good car.

I need to take the car back out and get some more photos.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pittsy:
DLPTony (07-15-23), wthrman2 (07-17-23)
Old 07-20-23, 12:54 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Last night I replaced all of the interior cabin lights with LED's to match the rest of the interior, and I replaced the rear turn signal bulbs with LED's as well.

Still waiting to get the car detailed, but really, this is it.
arentz07 (07-20-23)
Old 07-21-23, 03:24 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Last night I replaced all of the interior cabin lights with LED's to match the rest of the interior, and I replaced the rear turn signal bulbs with LED's as well.

Still waiting to get the car detailed, but really, this is it.
which brand and where did you get them? This is on my list as well.
Longwaldo (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 12:02 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by jsch222
which brand and where did you get them? This is on my list as well.
Turn signal bulbs-

Amazon Amazon

Interior lights-

Amazon Amazon

LED's are directional, polarity wise. You have to make sure they're in the right way or they won't light. If it doesn't light, just flip it around.
jsch222 (07-27-23)
Old 07-21-23, 12:31 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Turn signal bulbs-

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084C23DT1...roduct_details

Interior lights-

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZK6NYCR...roduct_details

LED's are directional, polarity wise. You have to make sure they're in the right way or they won't light. If it doesn't light, just flip it around.
Appreciate you!
Old 07-27-23, 10:33 PM
BrianDCIS
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Not planning on building this car out like I did the RC, but I need to do the basics. The IS is getting 15% ceramic tint all around, and 70% tint on the windshield.

Onto the carmax story... The mirror on the IS was dinged in transport . On top of this, two of the passenger wheels have nicks on them, maybe from rocks, but not sure. Our wheel guy here at Lexus is going to have them repaired, they're only missing paint where the nicks are. My biggest frustration, is that while I was having my Card Key programmed, I was going to have the honk when lock LPS turned off, but I was informed it was already off... Not sure if it was the previous owner, or the original carmax, but someone installed one of those aftermarket alarms with GPS. So, the lower dash had to come apart and the whole system was pulled out. The reason I'm upset is because now my harness back there has t-taps for it, and underneath the dash there are two small holes where they installed the flashing blue light. None of this is visible unless you take the car apart so I guess I shouldn't let it bother me, but come on!

Im installing a Uniden R8 tonight, since I left my old radar in the RC...

This car is a hoot. The RC and the IS500 made almost identical power numbers, so I was expecting kind of the same "seat feel" but man was I wrong. The torque that the 2UR produces is something I've yet to feel in a car. It's so quiet and comfortable, it's perfect, from the factory.

I was also expecting to feel the same terrible transmission qualities, but the difference between the AA81E and the AA80E is huge. The 80 is much snappier, doesn't slip on me, and feels very very direct. Love it.
Ugh! The difference in opinion by people on here regarding the driving characteristics of the AA80E is driving me nuts!! I have heard anything from “slow to shift, lazy, slushy” to “quick, lively, snappy shifts” etc. There are so few used IS500’s in Canada (6-10 entire country) at any given time that I can’t even test drive one for myself in most cases. I thought the general consensus on this transmission was that once the engine and trans are sufficiently warmed up, with it in SPORT+ mode it’s still pretty damn good even for a 20 year old transmission. It’s not a Porsche PDK by any stretch but is it at least a lot better than the A760H 6-speed in the IS300 and 350?? Please give your honest opinion. Thanks!
Old 07-28-23, 05:05 AM
04gita
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianDCIS
Ugh! The difference in opinion by people on here regarding the driving characteristics of the AA80E is driving me nuts!!
I would explain it like this: By 2023 enthusiast standards, it's garbage. Compared to a ZF8, PDK, DSG, or GM's 10-speed, it's clearly a drawback to this vehicle. But automatics (both torque converter and dual clutch) have come a looong way in the last 10-15 years. By 2008 standards, there is nothing at all wrong with this transmission. It's just that the state of the art has since left it in the dust.

In other words, it's not inherently bad. It's only bad in comparison to its modern competition. If you don't mind a transmission that drives like it's from 10+ years ago, you won't mind this one. If you expect the transmission to hold its own alongside the engine as an enthusiast masterpiece, you will be disappointed.

It's not an objective decision, it's a personal one. If I wanted a holistically awesome driving experience above all else, I'd be in a different car (and different online forum lol). But if you value the intake music of the 2UR + Lexus reliability/resale + looks + whatever else, more than you value a state of the art shifting experience, then the IS500 is absolutely a great choice. It's all about your priorities.

I will say that if you leave the transmission out of manual mode and out of Sport+, and use it like a daily driver, I don't find a single thing objectionable about the transmission. It's smooth, doesn't hunt gears, and doesn't make bad decisions. It's only when you want to be, um, enthusiastic that you notice the shortcomings vs. modern automatics.

Bechtold (07-28-23)
Old 07-28-23, 08:32 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Please give your honest opinion. Thanks!
Listen, the AA80E is a great transmission, it's a work horse, and is stupid reliable. It shifts very quickly for being almost 20 years old. Compared to some of the transmissions out there, it's not quite up to todays standard. But that being said, the turbo 4 cylinders those super quick transmissions are mated to aren't up the the "coolness factor" standard that most enthusiasts have, which is a big naturally aspirated engine. Don't compare it to anything, and you won't have an issue with it.

Comparison is the thief of joy my friend.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pittsy:
Carolina50 (07-28-23), HighRevs (08-29-23)
Old 07-28-23, 09:58 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I think the above posters have said it well; it's fine for an old transmission. It can shift quick, but you gotta be in the right mode and driving it the right way. It can be smooth, but again, you gotta be in the right mode and driving a certain way. It can also be pretty rough. That said, I don't think it's a deal breaker.
Carolina50 (07-28-23)
Old 07-28-23, 10:30 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Ugh! The difference in opinion by people on here regarding the driving characteristics of the AA80E is driving me nuts! I thought the general consensus on this transmission was that once the engine and trans are sufficiently warmed up, with it in SPORT+ mode it’s still pretty damn good even for a 20 year old transmission. It’s not a Porsche PDK by any stretch but is it at least a lot better than the A760H 6-speed in the IS300 and 350?? Please give your honest opinion. Thanks!
I think the range of opinions are endearing, but it’s easy to say as a longterm owner. I can only imagine what it’s like to get an idea from forums with no ability to test for yourself.

Personally, if you’re willing to work for it, the car is an excellent performer! I’m an aggressive driver and manual & Sport S+ is the way to go. I hold each gear in the 4K - 5K rpm range and can take off like a bat outta hell in a millisecond. No. Hesitation. Ever.

Some are uninterested in that level of engagement, I freaking live for it. The clunk from 1st to 2nd…love. The jerkiness if I come off the gas in traffic from 4K rpms…love.

I’m secretly a Mustang driver, but too bougie to own one. The IS 500 is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and that’s what I dig the most.
The following 4 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Bechtold (07-28-23), BrianDCIS (07-28-23), Carolina50 (07-28-23), HighRevs (08-29-23)
Old 07-28-23, 11:32 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by DLPTony
The IS 500 is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and that’s what I dig the most.
Sometimes that part sucks. Ill try to gap the hell out of someone and most people just think its a Camry and don't think twice about it.
BrianDCIS (07-28-23)
Old 07-28-23, 12:03 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Sometimes that part sucks. Ill try to gap the hell out of someone and most people just think its a Camry and don't think twice about it.
::chuckling:: There is that. I initially get no respect until doors are blown off. Now if i’m at the light first, folks will see my plate and that’s when it gets FUN! “It can’t be that fast…” They’ll say.
BrianDCIS (07-28-23)
Old 07-28-23, 12:12 PM
BrianDCIS
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
::chuckling:: There is that. I initially get no respect until doors are blown off. Now if i’m at the light first, folks will see my plate and that’s when it gets FUN! “It can’t be that fast…” They’ll say.
Why what does your plate say?? 🙈😄
DLPTony (07-28-23)

Quick Reply: Pittsy's 'Totally Not a Build' IS500 LE