IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Pittsy's 'Totally Not a Build' IS500 LE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 07:24 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,421 Likes on 1,120 Posts

I have never seen a dual caliper set up before. Looks like it should throw you through the window.
Old 10-01-23, 07:26 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I have never seen a dual caliper set up before. Looks like it should throw you through the window.
the EPB is a dry caliper, no fluid, only used for the EPB. You could theoretically run it as a fluid caliper too, but it’s not needed, and it’s simpler this way.

but you’re correct, it will through you through the window!
Old 10-01-23, 07:49 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Looks great!

Is this just a complete kit that retains the EPB vs using the GS F setup with no EPB?

I was thinking of upgrading my fronts only when my brakes die and not messing with all the crap in the rear. Would be this kit fronts only or GS F calipers/rotors/pads.
Old 10-01-23, 09:11 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by 95bat
Looks great!

Is this just a complete kit that retains the EPB vs using the GS F setup with no EPB?

I was thinking of upgrading my fronts only when my brakes die and not messing with all the crap in the rear. Would be this kit fronts only or GS F calipers/rotors/pads.
Full complete kit with retention of EPB.
Old 10-01-23, 09:12 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Didn’t realize my Swift springs get here tomorrow. Got the front struts out and disassembled, got the rear blown apart already too. Just gotta drop the springs in and reassemble!

the wheels and calipers are being ceramic coated right now.
The following users liked this post:
LA20671 (10-01-23)
Old 10-01-23, 10:28 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 484 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy

Didn’t realize my Swift springs get here tomorrow. Got the front struts out and disassembled, got the rear blown apart already too. Just gotta drop the springs in and reassemble!

the wheels and calipers are being ceramic coated right now.
I used those spring compressors the last time I lowered a vehicle, they scare me. But i still have 10 fingers and i only have nature to blame for my ugly face. So they maybe I'm worried for nothing.
Old 10-01-23, 11:12 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
I used those spring compressors the last time I lowered a vehicle, they scare me. But i still have 10 fingers and i only have nature to blame for my ugly face. So they maybe I'm worried for nothing.
As long as they’re used properly they’re not an issue. They made quick work of it.
Kappa500 (10-02-23)
Old 10-01-23, 12:50 PM
95bat
Racer

Full complete kit with retention of EPB.
For fronts only is there much difference between this kit and a GS F setup?
Old 10-01-23, 12:57 PM
Pittsy
Racer

For fronts only is there much difference between this kit and a GS F setup?
this is a real 2 piece 15” rotor, compared to a single piece 14.9” rotor. I believe the BBMS rotors are thicker slightly as well.
Old 10-05-23, 04:45 PM
95bat
Racer

Would if be helpful or more difficult if an extra pair of pre-trimmed rear dust shields was included? Or is swapping them too hard?

It would be nice to not have to cut anything, like an "all parts included" kit for the swap.

BYW, I am back to looking at this kit since I didn't read the GS F setup needs wheel spacers for the Enkei wheels. I hope this kit doesn't need them.
Old 10-05-23, 04:51 PM
TurkishRambo
Driver

Received 113 Likes on 25 Posts

Would if be helpful or more difficult if an extra pair of pre-trimmed rear dust shields was included? Or is swapping them too hard?

It would be nice to not have to cut anything, like an "all parts included" kit for the swap.

BYW, I am back to looking at this kit since I didn't read the GS F setup needs wheel spacers for the Enkei wheels. I hope this kit doesn't need them.
I plan to do a test fitment with the Enkei’s once my kit arrives. Apparently it cleared Canadian customs yesterday so it should be here Friday or Monday.
Old 10-05-23, 07:03 PM
Pittsy
Racer

swapping the front dust shields would be super easy. Literally 4 tiny 10mm bolts.

the rear sucks. Axle nut and hub need to come off. Trimming it is way easier, takes 5 seconds with an angle grinder and a shot of black paint.

I added spacers for fitment, not needed with this kit on BBS’s.

Old 10-05-23, 07:03 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by TurkishRambo
I plan to do a test fitment with the Enkei’s once my kit arrives. Apparently it cleared Canadian customs yesterday so it should be here Friday or Monday.
You’ll have to wait for the updated bracket to show up too. Eddie told me that one guys kit actually fit without the updated bracket, but those tolerances are too tight to be happy with. YMMV.
Old 10-09-23, 12:10 AM
Pittsy
Racer

I put the car back on the ground tonight. Unbolted the EPB caliper and left it off since I need to drive to CA and the new bracket won’t arrive in time. Had to get some new hardware for the 4 pot, I went over this in more detail on the BBK thread. Rebled the brakes again, but the pedal feel still isn’t great. I’m using all the pedal travel, but the brakes still don’t slow down like what I was used to. There’s no more air in the lines, I’m sure of that, bur maybe there’s some in the ABS module? I’m going to try and techstream bleed it tomorrow at work, have it aligned, and have the headlights adjusted up a bit. The car looks great on the swift springs though. I’ll get some pics.
LA20671 (10-09-23)
Old 10-14-23, 09:00 AM
Cekr85
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, time to turn this thing into an ISF and make everyone mad.

BBMS just released their full BBK for the IS500 that retains the EPB. 15 inch free floating 2 piece rotors front and rear, 6 pot front, 4 pot rear. Ordered everything yesterday, and got the calipers paint matched to Incognito gray.

I think as long as I control my impulses to mod the car I'll be okay. I don't know how much else I'll do to it. Maybe a engine and trans cooler, but the car did just fine this summer here so.
Do you have a link for thise brakes, I've been looking for a BBK for ages and I can't find the BBMS on Google

Quick Reply: Pittsy's 'Totally Not a Build' IS500 LE