IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

23 IS 500 keyfob not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-23, 03:42 PM
dsksvr17
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 23 IS 500 keyfob not working

Purchased a new IS last weekend. Received two keyfobs. All worked fine. Had some trouble programing the garage homelink to my garage but after 20 min finally got it working. Got out to lock the car and both the key fobs were dead (cannot use lock, unlock, or trunk open button as they don't do anything). To my surprise, the car still drives and I can lock and unlock the door with fob in my pocket. If I sit in the car without the fob it says "key fob not detected." This tells me the car still recognizes the fob. The buttons on both fobs just don't work! Also, the second fob was in my house nowhere near the car when all this happened and it too is dead. Taking it to dealer this weekend (2 hrs away) to sort it all out. Has this happened to anyone before? The car has 200 miles.. 😢

Could the process of programming the garage door (pushing button on door opener, running back and forth pushing buttons in the car with fob in my pocket) messed up the radio link between the car and the fobs?

Last edited by dsksvr17; 07-12-23 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 04:26 PM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 252 Likes on 119 Posts

Yup. Happened to me in my ‘22 IS 350. They came and got the car from 80 miles away and had it back by the end of the day with a “sorry, we didn’t program it before we sold it.” They were incredulous though when I called about it, and then, it was a quick fix once they got it.
The following 2 users liked this post by abdrury:
dsksvr17 (07-12-23), MoltenDebt (07-15-23)
Old 07-12-23, 05:08 PM
dsksvr17
6th Gear

Originally Posted by abdrury
Yup. Happened to me in my ‘22 IS 350. They came and got the car from 80 miles away and had it back by the end of the day with a “sorry, we didn’t program it before we sold it.” They were incredulous though when I called about it, and then, it was a quick fix once they got it.
That's great to hear! You are telling me you were still able to operate the vehicle just not use the buttons on the fob because it was not programmed?
Old 07-12-23, 05:56 PM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 252 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dsksvr17
That's great to hear! You are telling me you were still able to operate the vehicle just not use the buttons on the fob because it was not programmed?
Yeah, exactly what you described.
Old 07-12-23, 10:13 PM
rdsterdave
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had this happen too and narrowed it down to some settings in the vehicle customization causing it. Specifically the settings for lights and tone when locking the car, but it could be triggered by other settings as well. During my first service I mentioned that my remote buttons stopped working and after they checked it out they said that the remote lock/unlock feature was somehow turned off in the techstream coding. So they switched it back on and it worked fine when I got the car back. However I noticed that the light flash and beep was back when I locked the car so I went into the settings and turned it off and the remote buttons immediately stopped working again. So it looks like the vehicle software just has a bug. Changing the settings doesn't make the buttons work again and now I can't even get the lights and beep to work again so it is something that needs to be addressed using techstream. I haven't gone back to the dealer to get it fixed again yet as the fob still works fine for driving and proximity and I can lock/unlock the car using the door handle.
The following users liked this post:
dsksvr17 (07-13-23)
Old 07-13-23, 01:41 AM
dsksvr17
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rdsterdave
I've had this happen too and narrowed it down to some settings in the vehicle customization causing it. Specifically the settings for lights and tone when locking the car, but it could be triggered by other settings as well. During my first service I mentioned that my remote buttons stopped working and after they checked it out they said that the remote lock/unlock feature was somehow turned off in the techstream coding. So they switched it back on and it worked fine when I got the car back. However I noticed that the light flash and beep was back when I locked the car so I went into the settings and turned it off and the remote buttons immediately stopped working again. So it looks like the vehicle software just has a bug. Changing the settings doesn't make the buttons work again and now I can't even get the lights and beep to work again so it is something that needs to be addressed using techstream. I haven't gone back to the dealer to get it fixed again yet as the fob still works fine for driving and proximity and I can lock/unlock the car using the door handle.
So strange that you mentioned this as i was going through the setting screen and adjusting all these things right before this happened! I'll have to refrain from messing with these settings after it's reprogrammed back on. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-13-23, 11:36 AM
howard500
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Same thing happened to me when I got my car. I messed with the lock/unlock beeper settings and all of a sudden my remote buttons stopped working. Then drove to the dealer and they “reset” it. Buttons started working again, but the lock/unlock beeps were gone (no matter the setting), trunk was popping with a short press of the button on the key fob (usually need to hold for 2s), and the panic button stopped working. Took it back to the dealer and this time someone knowledgeable reprogrammed all the settings for me.
The following users liked this post:
dsksvr17 (07-13-23)
Old 07-13-23, 11:44 AM
dsksvr17
6th Gear

Originally Posted by howard500
Same thing happened to me when I got my car. I messed with the lock/unlock beeper settings and all of a sudden my remote buttons stopped working. Then drove to the dealer and they “reset” it. Buttons started working again, but the lock/unlock beeps were gone (no matter the setting), trunk was popping with a short press of the button on the key fob (usually need to hold for 2s), and the panic button stopped working. Took it back to the dealer and this time someone knowledgeable reprogrammed all the settings for me.
Unbelievable. Hopefully a software update in the future would fix this. Glad I'm not the only one as this seems to be a well known issue with these cars. Thanks for chiming in! Will make sure I check all is good this Saturday after my reprogramming. You guys have been immensely helpful.